Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2010, 05:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

need help!

hi all, i have a 1996 wrx sti and it is a project car. can anyone give me any advice or know how on what is needed to be done to make it as light and fast as possible? as i want to use it as a trackday/ rally car. it has had no extra engine mods fitted (but would like to fit some, just dont know what!). i have stripped the interior out, except the dash. what else can i take out that would still make it road legal too?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2010, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetmunki View Post
hi all, i have a 1996 wrx sti and it is a project car. can anyone give me any advice or know how on what is needed to be done to make it as light and fast as possible? as i want to use it as a trackday/ rally car. it has had no extra engine mods fitted (but would like to fit some, just dont know what!). i have stripped the interior out, except the dash. what else can i take out that would still make it road legal too?
Depends what type of funds you got to start with? but as you done already with the interior out thats seatbelts out from the back and the front to lightweight racing seats with harnesse's 3point all the way up to 6point I think what ever you think for more support, take the A/C out be surprised how much weight in compressor and other bits, add extra chassis struct bars for to make car more solid coming into a corner, if a large budget get it seem welded and roll cage fitted and perspex glass if you going to go mad, want to know what you can and can not use as safety very big thing in motorsport, upgrade brakes, upgrade suspension, tyres, run better oils and fluids to MOTUL v good especially if you going hard on a track or rally course, engine mods depending on funds again see nice gains going for full exhaust, cone or panel filter and uprated fuel pump and map of course, just check what best exhaust to get, a baffle might be needed as inspectors fairly strict on sound if going on tracks

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 09 Feb 2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09 Feb 2010, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hi fella if you want to rally your car I would suggest you decide which category you went to enter as that will then dictate what mods you can make to the car.
Old 09 Feb 2010, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Then walk to the bank and apply for a BIG loan
Old 10 Feb 2010, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

cheers all, 1984, being a project car funds aren't really a problem as there is no deadline to get it finished. but your info is a big help cheers.
dan50 i'm not to fussed about rally racing it i just want to see what it could do once finished.
matt i'd rather get the scooby running then drive to the bank!
Old 10 Feb 2010, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

remove engine & push off cliff.

very light & fast...........pmsl

sorry. sarcastic mood today.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

steve, thast soo bad.

as said good start point is to take off whats not needed. all interior trim, boot trim.

once you;ve done that then weight saving become a bit more complex, plexiglass replacement windows, fibre glass panels, stripping out aircon, removing none required engine dressing.

the list goes on
Old 10 Feb 2010, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

DO NOT REMOVE FRON INTERIOR DOOR PANELS!!

Know of someone who did this and was bloody dangerous in the cabin, sharp edges everywhere.
Old 10 Feb 2010, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

if i relace the front and rear windscreen with plexiglass would it still be road legal? or is it the law to have glass windscreens on the road. i only ask because we will be driving the car to the track.