Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

Induction kit and BOV on a 55 wrx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Nov 2009, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Induction kit and BOV on a 55 wrx

just bought a 55 plate 2.5 wrx and am wondering what induction kit to get and BOV. and could i easily fit both of these myself???

also i have a standard subaru exhaust on the car, about 2.5inch bore at the back, hoe do i get the traditional subaru burble from the car?

thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2009, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bpm
Cool Scooby

Re: Induction kit and BOV on a 55 wrx

Hi, I think most people will give the same sound advise for the benefit of the car. If your car is standard, leave the bov standard, change to a panel filter - green is the way to go! In terms of exhaust, initially look at the back box, Hayward and Scott very good choice and maybe consider a centre section replacement for a little extra burb.
Old 28 Nov 2009, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

where would i get one of the green panel filters?
Old 28 Nov 2009, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bpm
Cool Scooby

Scooby world is where I got mine,
Old 28 Nov 2009, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

what sort of performance gains will i get from this filter?
Old 28 Nov 2009, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

as said,no need to bother with an IK unless your going to tweek the nuts out of the car and go for big power figures,as for the BOV,some work,some don't,if keeping car in standard guise don't ....

best panel filters on the market at the moment are K&N and Green as stated,gains won't to noticed or realised unless the car is going to be "mapped"....iirc the 2.5's won't have the traditional scoob burrble because of the headers being equal lenght,you will get a slight increase in "burbble" by changing the cat back system,but it won't be that great!!
Old 28 Nov 2009, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

also on newage induction kits will lead to needing a remap
Old 02 Dec 2009, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Your vehicle will make the same power with the OE Subaru panel filter as it will with any aftermarket panel fiter and your panel filter setup OE is actually efficient and presents no drawbacks until well past 350 bhp, perhaps nearlyl 400 bhp. Classics are struggling by 350 bhp but the advantage of the OE panel filter system is that it captures cold air and this is important for efficient power production.
The reason for changing the OE panel for a K+N for instance is the fact the K+N can be cleaned and is probably capable of providing good service for a few thousand miles more than the typical OE cardboard paper element. If you are prepared to change the OE Subaru every 5000 miles or so that is quite adequate or by a filter cleaning kit and a K+N, follow the instructions and clean it every 8 or 9,000 miles.
Despite all the glossy advertising and supply houses or box shifters trying to persuade you that their BOV will result in quicker accelleration these people are indeed misleading you. One reason for changing the blow off valve is to get the noise, particularly made by a VTA and if that is your thing, good luck to you. However, you will not accellerate any quicker or gain any bhp. There is not much wrong with the OE Subaru BOV MY93 through 07. After that I havn't worked on these cars.
Another reason for changing the BOV is to make the fitment of a front mount intercooler that much easier by fitting a VTA (Vent To Atmosphere) so there is no recirculation pipework.
Rather than spend money that will show no appreciable gain why not concentrate on the areas which will help the car to run more efficiently.
Old 06 Dec 2009, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for the advice guys! i would only get a BOV for the sound really. I really have the power craze so where would i start with that, was looking at bringin the car to subaru clinic and get a performance pack fitted!
Old 07 Dec 2009, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

The starting point is a full decat including 3" open neck downpipe and a good exhaust system that works. Not all exhaust systems are condusive to good power output and some of the noisy ones do nothing for power output.
It depends how far you want to go but if you are sticking with the OE turbo and injectors then next on your list would be ported headers and matched uppipe. Stick with the panel filter but it should be clean so renew if necessary. New fuel filter and a Walbro GS342/255lph pump. That should be fitted shortly before a remap.
With these mods you are now ready for a remap and you are probably going to be very imppressed the difference it can make to your car both in terms of smooth driveability and ultimate power.
If you want to go further you are in to turbo swapping and injectors and you could get to the 380-400 bracket with that expenditure but if you want to go much beyond that you need to start thinking about steel rods and forged pistons.
Old 07 Dec 2009, 08:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix

Good advice from Harvey although IMO if you are thinking of going past the 350bhp mark then it would be cheaper to sell the car and buy an STi.

Full decat, filter and remap can make it an STi killer.
Moderator Authorised Advertiser
Old 07 Dec 2009, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

im not thinkin of big power, i wont go past the 300bhp mark i think, it due mot in january so wud i best waiting to do the decat till then?

Could you recommend an exhaust make for me please, im totally new to the world of subarus so dont know any of the good quality makes, and i am pretty clueless when it comes to turbos, owned a bmw 328 before this!!!!
Old 07 Dec 2009, 08:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix

Revolution make a good system (and have some cracking deals on at the moment). Miltek is the other one I would recommend. Not too noisey but makes great power.
Moderator Authorised Advertiser