Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

what else can i do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Nov 2009, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

what else can i do

hi guys got a remap a few month ago an got the car to about 310 bhp an people say it wont be long before i want more. well thats come now an want to aim to 350bhp. ive heard uk models are ok at this point and anymore is a no no. my00 uk it is. ive put kakumei headers on, walbro pump, vf23, uk300 tmic, k an n induction kit, full decat an back box, still got standard 440 injectors an a 3 port solenoid an better grade plugs.

bought a fpr but mapper said it was unecesary to use it an the time.
its boosting at 20psi at mo an heard vf23 will max out at 330 but can u feel difference from 310 to 350bhp or even 330.
what else can i do to get better results and its still standard ecu.
cheers guys
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2009, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: what else can i do

turbo wont get there, your top mount is limiting you.

bigger injectors, bigger turbo, front mount and aftermarket ecu to do away with the maf. but going that far your gonna be at the limit of your engine and gearbox.

think you need to decided how far you realy wanna go, no point in spending 3 grand now to get it to 350 if 6 months down the line you want more, becuase then you'll have to rebuild the engien anyway
Old 09 Nov 2009, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

yea i suppose mate i think im just best leaving it the way it is until i get an sti or something. feels quick now but id like to feel in excess of 350 bhp an for the mods id have to do to get there now it wont be worth it on a uk model
Old 10 Nov 2009, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by seddomyster View Post
yea i suppose mate i think im just best leaving it the way it is until i get an sti or something. feels quick now but id like to feel in excess of 350 bhp an for the mods id have to do to get there now it wont be worth it on a uk model

once you get to that stage then theres no real point in getting an sti other than tha badge, the standard sti parts will be getting maxed out anyway once you hit that sort of power so may as save the cost of changing car and spend it on mods.

when you start highly modding your better starting with a cheaper base car (aka none sti). y spend double the amount on parts that your just gonna bin anyway?
Old 10 Nov 2009, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

You can start on the handling, poly bush it so u can use the power you do have,
Suspension and brakes are worth a lot more then a little power anyway.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

i got a 4 pot conversion to fit in which im looking forward to feelin the difference but just wondering if all 4 have to be bled if changing just the front brakes. i feel i want some uprated wishbone bushes as mine look like there cracking. i think i will leave my engine as it is now. thought of a fmic but heard it causes more lag an at the mo the turbo kicks in at 3k but the gearbox is long so takes its time. i only want an sti because they say the box an clutch is stronger for around 400bhp but also heavier cars well newage cars
Old 10 Nov 2009, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

also ive heard v5 sti suspension is a better setup than what is on my00 uk model. is this true an if so is it staright swap
Old 11 Nov 2009, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
thought of a fmic but heard it causes more lag an at the mo the turbo kicks in at 3k but the gearbox is long so takes its time. i only want an sti because they say the box an clutch is stronger for around 400bhp but also heavier cars well newage cars

you been reading to much bollox on scoobynet lol. lag from a front mount is a myth, its bad setup and mapping that create the lag.

NS04 on there went from a top mount to front mount with a map tweek and never had issues with this mythical front mount lag.

i suffer a bit on initial launch, but im running standard flywheel, pullies etc, which have 100 times more affact on it. once up to speed through the gears etc i don't get lag.
Old 11 Nov 2009, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
also ive heard v5 sti suspension is a better setup than what is on my00 uk model. is this true an if so is it staright swap

tbh i wouldn;t bother with sti suspension, for what it is its expensive and a aftermarket set tends to be cheaper and better. im running kyb shocks and eibach lowering springs, combined witha f ew whiteline goodies the car handels extreamly well
Old 11 Nov 2009, 09:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

haha lol yea scoobynet does have alot of bull on there lol. ive got a divertor on my tmic an happy with it but now thinking of puttin a cold air feed to my induction kit just to help that bit more. does a lighter flywheel an pullies really make a difference? mmmm lol. id like a set of lowering springs but was put of in my old rs turbo an felt awful on are english roads. i want drop links lol
Old 11 Nov 2009, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Just to throw a spanner in the works, isn't JD running a top mount Tidgy?
Old 11 Nov 2009, 10:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
haha lol yea scoobynet does have alot of bull on there lol. ive got a divertor on my tmic an happy with it but now thinking of puttin a cold air feed to my induction kit just to help that bit more. does a lighter flywheel an pullies really make a difference? mmmm lol. id like a set of lowering springs but was put of in my old rs turbo an felt awful on are english roads. i want drop links lol
check out the weight of a standard pulley you are reducing inertia by fitting lighweights so this is a fairly usefull same as the flywheel standard item is heavy peice of kit sti version is better but got to agree with comment on braking improved braking is worth the money and can be worth more than horses on a track day later braking and all that .I think if you put your money into the handling side of things its money better spent a good set up car is quicker on the road as it handles better and carries more speed into the bends and is more predictable .As for front mounts the pros outweigh the cons lag is not that noticeable and is often down to turbo choice inlet temps are greatly reduced with fmic .
Old 12 Nov 2009, 10:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Just to throw a spanner in the works, isn't JD running a top mount Tidgy?

yeah, but he's runnign a massive turbo, drop a front mount on and he'll get better results,also steve does drag racing where heat build up isn;t as much of an issue
Old 13 Nov 2009, 07:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

is jd still on his sti top mount then?
surely heat soak build up would only be on long hard driving with stop n start elements, or when just sitting in traffic. 20 minute track blasts would be fine on an STI v.7/8 top mount... surely?
and if lag is not an issue with fmic's then why is the subaru intercooler so close to the intake manifold?? if you've got to fill all those winding front mount pipes with air pressure then surely it takes longer than a 3 inch long pipe between the i/c and intake manifold. How can the pressurising of fmic pipes be mapped on before throttle and boost are aquired?
Old 15 Nov 2009, 08:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

I am running a FMIC since having the turbo fitted 2 1/2 years ago.

Turbo isnt that big, is only a GT30 hybrid.