Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

Tuning a 2.0L Sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2009, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Tuning a 2.0L Sport

Ok so as some of you may have noticed im new to the forum and looking seriously into getting a 2.0L Sport non-turbo.

I think their roughly 125BHP standard (which to me will be an upgrade being young and driving a 60BHP 206!!) and just wanted to know roughly the highest BHP they can be? I would be happy with around 165BHP but is that possible and what would been doing?

Thanks

Last edited by WantsA20NonTurbo; 22 Oct 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2009, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Tuning a 2.0L Sport

for the costs involved to get it anywhere near 165e forget it, save up and then spend the money on a turbo'd car when you can afford it.

the scoobs gets its power fromt he turbo, so trying to tune a none turbo is a waste of time
Old 22 Oct 2009, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Not what I wanted to hear, maybe saving for the extra insurance is a must then. Looking at it you can pick up a Turbo for same price as a Non Turbo?
Old 22 Oct 2009, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsA20NonTurbo View Post
Looking at it you can pick up a Turbo for same price as a Non Turbo?
I'm sure you can but not sure I'd want a Turbo car for that kind of money. It'll likely be a car with very high mileage and/or in a pretty shabby state of repair. Buy a lemon and you'll just end up throwing money at it to keep it running. I'm sure there are bargains to be had but they will be few and far between. If you do go this route make sure you do your research and check/test drive the cars thoroughly.

personally would get a nippy little run around (as Darren suggested i believe) in the interim and get saving for a turbo that will be reliable and you can enjoy to it's full potential.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
I'm sure you can but not sure I'd want a Turbo car for that kind of money. It'll likely be a car with very high mileage and/or in a pretty shabby state of repair. Buy a lemon and you'll just end up throwing money at it to keep it running. I'm sure there are bargains to be had but they will be few and far between. If you do go this route make sure you do your research and check/test drive the cars thoroughly.

personally would get a nippy little run around (as Darren suggested i believe) in the interim and get saving for a turbo that will be reliable and you can enjoy to it's full potential.

Was thinking that was to cheap for Turbo'd scooby.
If I was to go with the sport like planned I would only have it for a year or so while saving. But my question is would I notice the power difference from my 60BHP 206. Only being 125BHP but much much bigger in weight?
Or should I be looking for a 1.6 VTEC or something along the lines of that?
Old 22 Oct 2009, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Not driven an N/A classic impreza (driven an N/A hatch and it was awful) but by all accounts the performance is far from impressive. If it is AWD that will just add t the weight and make a slow'ish car even more sluggish. I'm sure they are good cars in their own way but far from thrilling.

Quote:
Or should I be looking for a 1.6 VTEC or something along the lines of that?
What I would do. Will be cheaper to run and service too.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for your advise mate. Looks like VTEC it is, ill still use this form for help and tips thoe as I do hope to upgrade to a Turbo Scooby.
Old 22 Oct 2009, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
as I hope to upgrade to a Turbo Scooby.
Will definitely be worth the wait. Love my scoob to bits and for the money you'll be hard pushed to find a better car.