Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

Calipers and lower mesh grill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Oct 2009, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Calipers and lower mesh grill

Hi everyone ( from the colonies ), Ive got a nice stock standard Impreza HX (thats what they call it here) Anyhow Its actually not that stock standard now!, but I have a couple of questions. Firstly brakes Im sick of looking at dirty looking / rusty calipers, I dont want to spend big $ on them but I want to have them looking tidy. I was thinking perhaps at changing the calipers the legacy type or later impreza (with the SUBARU) raised lettering, (what year, model?), painting them (!eek) or buying some " braembo" caliper covers off ebay and repainting them black with new subaru laser cut decals... Also how can the hub be kept cleanish and tidy-ish, any opinions?.

Second question I have a series 2, 99- 01 front bumper (with the orange thingy ma- jigs vents under the indicators) on my Impreza, big opening in the front like a mouth on a Basking shark, and I am sure I will end up with somthing through the radiator, I have looked at mesh lower grill covers on ebay ), (big $$$$!!!), I may be forced to buy one, but as we are home to one of the largest aluminium producers in the world and Alloy mesh is redily available does anyone have a plan on a DIY version that dosent involve drilling (too much) or gluing the thing on. I really want it framed and tidy..... I have some ideas (Kiwi ingenuity), but opinions welcome Thanks in adavance

Last edited by Kiwi; 11 Oct 2009 at 05:38 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2009, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Calipers and lower mesh grill

Hi mate.

Regarding the calipers. Assume you have the 2 pots on that car and agree they look pants. The STi's had the 4 pots with the raised SUBARU lettering. You could try and pick up a set of those. Advantage of that over Brembo covers are; you'll benefit from far better braking and you won't have tacky Brembo covers on your caliper. Would clean and paint them before they go on though, as mine have just started to rust a bit so will need a refurb fairly shortly.Can keep the hub clean and corrosion free by simply painting it. Something else I plan to do, just never got round to doing it.

Regarding the mesh, no idea I'm afraid as never considered it. I have the same bumper (standard on my car) and tbh have never fretted too much over it. My A/C condenser is right behind that hole and it is in ok condition so not really something to get overly worried about imo.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thumbs up Re: Calipers and lower mesh grill

Hi Riki,

Thanks mate, Ive been thinking four pots, theres no difference with the disc though?... to be quite honest I brought the Impreza, as I wanted a car that was hassle free, (thumbs up Subaru), and AWD, and I didnt buy a turbo as in NZ they attract attention from the lucrative stolen car market here and from the Police, (actually the cops here are so thick they cant work out the difference of a non turbo or turbo.) Plus the Detomoso fiasco.....(RRRRRR!!!!!)
Admittedly we have in some places with bad roads, off the main motorways, the roads are gravel on tar and in summer there is a loose gravel problem... hence my query. If its not windscreens its radiators or vents. But hey thanks again... Tim (aka Kiwi)

Last edited by Kiwi; 12 Oct 2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 01:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Not sure on the disc sizes tbh. STi's do have slightly larger front discs than the WRX (16" Vs 15") but I7m sure you can get some reasonably priced discs. Assume you have 16" wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
and I didnt buy a turbo as in NZ they attract attention from the lucrative stolen car market here and from the Police,
No different to the UK then. Here in Japan, I've yet to be stopped in mine and I don't have an alarm, immobilizer of tracker and nor do my insurance require them. Left my car in some of Tokyo's allegedly dodgiest areas and never been worried. Sadly will have all the same concerns when I return to UK next year.
Old 12 Oct 2009, 05:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I hear Japans safe, at least the law is respected... Most of the Police here are looking for power by wearing a uniform.
Anyhow....

Think four pots the way to go, I have previously thought about it.

So what should I be looking for by way of Subbie's being wrecked down, to get 4 pots?, I would probably only use them up front for my 1.8? After all thats where the stopping power is.

We have a great online auction site called 'Trade me', occasionally see 4 pots but there are alot of cars getting wrecked unfortunately...

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by Kiwi; 12 Oct 2009 at 05:27 AM.