Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

ecu upgrade/remap
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2009, 12:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14
ecu upgrade/remap

hi i have been looking at getting my 1995 scooby to 320bhp it has full decat exhaust green air filter and will have walbro fuel pump.i was looking for a ecu upgrade first i spoke to scooby clinic and the said for 650 for remap and rolling road and would have 330bhp and would stay verry safe.but i have been looking at ecu upgrades like the z4 ecu but not really sure what to do.any one have any advise?thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
madmerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Midlands
Posts: 34
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

Shop around mate..

My first quote was for 650......after a while on google i found several round the country for between 250 and 350, + 50 for the dyno test.......so you get the nice piece of paper at the end with your bhp etc on it.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby
 
nobby248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cardiff Wales UK.
Posts: 2,744
Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansubaru View Post
hi i have been looking at getting my 1995 scooby to 320bhp it has full decat exhaust green air filter and will have walbro fuel pump.i was looking for a ecu upgrade first i spoke to scooby clinic and the said for 650 for remap and rolling road and would have 330bhp and would stay verry safe.but i have been looking at ecu upgrades like the z4 ecu but not really sure what to do.any one have any advise?thanks
Not sure where your located

I personally recommend BRD Bob Rawle Developments

Drop him an e-mail with what your requirments are and he will give you some options

What model is your car... is it an import, what turbo does it have? the BHP figures quoted seem inflated

www.brdevelopments.com

Also heard good things about Jollygreenmonster
__________________
Poor but happy!

Last edited by nobby248; 17 Aug 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmerlin View Post
Shop around mate..

My first quote was for 650......after a while on google i found several round the country for between 250 and 350, + 50 for the dyno test.......so you get the nice piece of paper at the end with your bhp etc on it.
its a jap import with a td05 turbo.were did you get quote for that price?and did your car stay reliable?im in essex but dont mind to travel a few hours.do you know how much bob charges?thanks for info
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud
 
jd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: here
Posts: 6,414
Send a message via MSN to jd
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

the 95 car cannot be remapped. you would need an ecu to be mapped properly.

give Martyn or Alan a ring at Alan Jeffery - Engine Tuner for advise.
__________________
blah blah blah
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
the 95 car cannot be remapped. you would need an ecu to be mapped properly.

give Martyn or Alan a ring at Alan Jeffery - Engine Tuner for advise.
thats what scooby clinic quoted for a daughterboard for ecu and a map and rolling road for 650 so it aint so bad.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby
 
eddiewrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: st. helens, merseyside
Posts: 130
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

dont get a z4, they only 260 bhp. the best stock ecu u can get 4 a classic (that i'm aware of) is the 6k. you find them on the v2 sti they 280 bhp. there is a z5 but think its off an ra with the 5th injector set up? not 100% on that tho.the 6k'll still give u a bit more fun the the stock wrx ecu tho. i got a 6k off ebay for about 50 or 60 quid.
__________________
type r NOT wrx, that was so 2008!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewrx View Post
dont get a z4, they only 260 bhp. the best stock ecu u can get 4 a classic (that i'm aware of) is the 6k. you find them on the v2 sti they 280 bhp. there is a z5 but think its off an ra with the 5th injector set up? not 100% on that tho.the 6k'll still give u a bit more fun the the stock wrx ecu tho. i got a 6k off ebay for about 50 or 60 quid.
ok mate thanks how much boost does the 6k run and do they stay reliable?and can you put them straight in without any mods i havnt got?thanks for ur help
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Aug 2009, 07:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby
 
eddiewrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: st. helens, merseyside
Posts: 130
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

well i had put a sti engine in mine along wit a few other mods, but (dont quote me on this) its a straight swop. i think it boosts at 12psi, (mine boosts at 16 tho coz of a chip i bought 4 it, but dont mention them on here it makes ppl cringe!! lol) but holds it till the 8k revs red line where as the z4 an other ecus will peak at the same 12psi but drop back before the red line which on them is 7k revs. the 6k ecu also has a higher fuel pressure rate, to help deal with the extra power. it'll be reliable, ye, its only a stock ecu!
__________________
type r NOT wrx, that was so 2008!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud
 
Tidgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 18,743
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

i wouldn't doubt what clinic say lol, there prob the most experiance tuners iont he country when it comes to scoobs.

it'll be a piggy back board as said, ESL if i rember correctly.

as far as 300 maps, well you get what you pay for. most places that charge that sort of money use, how can i put it, ripped of programs from the us to do the mapping and get round the licence fee.

330 will run with no issues, im runnign 340 on my turbo 2k and thast been fine.
__________________
PM, Squirrels best friend, cream egg king and resident .org spam tart/Perv
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 08:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
madmerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Midlands
Posts: 34
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

I see your point, but whatever i still say 650 for a remap that takes just a couple of hours is a total rip off.......Ok so they have prob splashed out on the software, and licence in the first place, but even if they had to spend 10k thats only 15 cars then they are in proffit....say an av of 5 cars per week equates to a profit of 169K p/year............

Im sorry but in my opinion a remap should be no more than 250......tops.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewrx View Post
well i had put a sti engine in mine along wit a few other mods, but (dont quote me on this) its a straight swop. i think it boosts at 12psi, (mine boosts at 16 tho coz of a chip i bought 4 it, but dont mention them on here it makes ppl cringe!! lol) but holds it till the 8k revs red line where as the z4 an other ecus will peak at the same 12psi but drop back before the red line which on them is 7k revs. the 6k ecu also has a higher fuel pressure rate, to help deal with the extra power. it'll be reliable, ye, its only a stock ecu!
ok then do you no what chip you brought i have seen them on ebay but am a bit worried about putting a chip in as subaru are known for blowing up any way i think i should take to scooby clinic as they seem excellent.what would a 330bhp scooby do a quarter of a mile in?does any one no of a good chip u can put in and be safe?thanks for info
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 14
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

i wonder if any one can help just been talking to bloke who brakes scoobys and he said he has got a prodrive z4 ecu been chiped by polar perfomance and he said that they are the best chips out there it runs 16.5psi and verry safe has any one have any info?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Regular Scooby
 
eddiewrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: st. helens, merseyside
Posts: 130
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

ye mines very similar to the polar performance chip, but its called a 'scooby pro performance ecu'. that z4 sounds ok then. scooby clinic are the dogs danglies tho! went up a few months back for my spoilers off a car they were breaking, Its an awsome place if you like things like that, and realy friendly and dont bull shit ya!!
__________________
type r NOT wrx, that was so 2008!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2009, 08:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby
 
bugeye_bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK-Earth - Search google maps for "The Stig"
Posts: 4,563
Re: ecu upgrade/remap

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiewrx View Post
ye mines very similar to the polar performance chip, but its called a 'scooby pro performance ecu'. that z4 sounds ok then. scooby clinic are the dogs danglies tho! went up a few months back for my spoilers off a car they were breaking, Its an awsome place if you like things like that, and realy friendly and dont bull shit ya!!
1st time you have been I take it ?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.