Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

Walbro Fuel pump replacment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2009, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Smile Walbro Fuel pump replacment

Hi,
I am going to change my stock fuel pump later today... any tips or hints to watch out for

Classic 98 wagon uk turbo

It looks strait forward from the manual, but some wire mod's may be required i think?

Changing ready for ecutek upgrade

Thanks in advance
Old 09 Jul 2009, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Re: Walbro Fuel pump replacment

How did it go mate,i found it only took about 20 mins,and never spilt any fuel,you may have to use cable ties to attatch it to the frame but apart from that ,no drama.
Old 09 Jul 2009, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Changed mine last year, took 15 mins and straight replacement.
Hope yours goes ok.
Old 10 Jul 2009, 06:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Hi guys and thanks it went very well... quite a straight forward job to remove old pump

New High spec Walbro 255lpm fitted, needed simple wire connector mods to fit see photos attatched

For those who want to undertake this job

Disconnect the Earth negative lead from the battery
Remove fuel filler cap
Gain access to the fuel pump cover in the rear of your car
Remover cover, four screws
Disconnect fuel pump power supply plug
Disconnect the three fuel hose connections
Undo the nuts on the fuel pump top plate, ensure you do this in a 'criss cross' pattern to reliev the pressure equally
Remover the fuel pump from the tank carefully, may need to be rotated slightly to clear hole
If replacing with non standard pump, the wire connectors will have to be cut off and an the new wires connected to the old wires using a crimp or other such quality connection
The walbro pump is smaller in size than original
Once inplace just reverse the above
NOTE
When re-connecting the earth negative lead to the battery.... switch on ignition... do not start car with the fuel cap on... replace fuel cap after the following procedure for best result

IGN ON
Pump the accelerator pedal twice... this resets the throttle sensor settings etc
After about a minute crank the engine without touching the accelerator until the engine starts
allow the engine to settle for a few minutes... when the tacho has stopped fluctuating, replace fuel cap and take her for a gentle run

Job done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010003.jpg (116.0 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg P1010005.jpg (99.6 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg P1010006.jpg (115.2 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg P1010009.jpg (55.6 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg P1010012.jpg (63.4 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg P1010016.jpg (127.3 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg P1010017.jpg (196.2 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg P1010018.jpg (72.4 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg P1010020.jpg (87.0 KB, 476 views)

Last edited by nobby248; 27 Aug 2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added info
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2009, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

You flew through it great pics
Old 29 Jul 2009, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi
i want to fit a walbro fuel pump and decat down pipe to my wrx sti , how will the performance be ????
Old 29 Jul 2009, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwill View Post
Hi
i want to fit a walbro fuel pump and decat down pipe to my wrx sti , how will the performance be ????
Hi... the fuel pump will not increase horse power... but it will ensure that your getting the correct ammount of fuel when you need... the old pumps become weak with time and cant keep up with the requirements of the engine when your upgrading and modding... it's an insurance policy so to speak

The de-cat down pipe will give you extra horses.. but also save weight over the old system... so thats good... ensure you do an ECU re-set after the Mods

All the best Nobby
Old 29 Jul 2009, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question Re: Walbro Fuel pump replacment

Hi
DO I HAVE TO REMAP!! THE ECU???
Can I just bolt on the decat down pipe?
Old 29 Jul 2009, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwill View Post
Hi
DO I HAVE TO REMAP!! THE ECU???
Can I just bolt on the decat down pipe?
No you dont have to do a re-map... but you should do a RESET procedure

Yes you can just bolt on a down pipe... but the real benefits will not be gained until you have a REMAP

Take a look at this web site for more details and help, Bob Rawle developments

Link
BRDevelopments
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for this write up. I have just been trying to do the same mod on my Version 4 STI, but chickened out when I saw the connectors were quite a bit different. I need the car tomorrow morning, so I put the original pump back in for now, and then I found your thread with Google after I quit for the day.
"If replacing with non standard pump, the wire connectors will have to be cut off and an the new wires connected to the old wires using a crimp or other such quality connection"
This is the bit I don't get, not ever having done anything electrical. My original fuel pump and replacement look just like yours. It looks like there are 2 sets of 2 wires connected to the OEM pump, whereas the replacement has just 2 wires connected to its 'plug'. How exactly should I do the connection between the wires?
Also, did you need to tie the new pump to the frame?
Sorry if the question seems stupid, I don't want to get this wrong.
Thanks again, Tom
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughto View Post
Thanks for this write up. I have just been trying to do the same mod on my Version 4 STI, but chickened out when I saw the connectors were quite a bit different. I need the car tomorrow morning, so I put the original pump back in for now, and then I found your thread with Google after I quit for the day.
"If replacing with non standard pump, the wire connectors will have to be cut off and an the new wires connected to the old wires using a crimp or other such quality connection"
This is the bit I don't get, not ever having done anything electrical. My original fuel pump and replacement look just like yours. It looks like there are 2 sets of 2 wires connected to the OEM pump, whereas the replacement has just 2 wires connected to its 'plug'. How exactly should I do the connection between the wires?
Also, did you need to tie the new pump to the frame?
Sorry if the question seems stupid, I don't want to get this wrong.
Thanks again, Tom
Hi your replacement pump should have come with a rubber end piece that fits the bottom of the pump and keeps it secure in the frame... no tying any cables etc to keep it in place... and full instructions about wires?

Cutting the wires... you will need a crimping tool and high quality crimp connectors

Ensure you do not cut wire near the fuel hole... You must ensure the batt Negative lead is off etc

If you are not confident about the above... DON'T DO IT... take the car to a garage... and let them do it... or to a friend who has experience

Hope this helps

Nobby

Last edited by nobby248; 27 Aug 2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the superfast reply Nobby. On the safety side I was careful to disconnect the negative pole of the battery while removing the pump, and I was going to work on the wires well away from the tank. I don't really understand which wires to crimp together, and was hoping maybe you had a picture of the finished article somewhere.
But if you don't never mind, as you say I may be better off finding a local who has already done it to show me how.
I did have the rubber piece you mention, good to know that holds it securely. Annoyingly there were absolutely no instructions about wires in my box.
I got a good price though
Old 27 Aug 2009, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

A bit more help follow this link

Sign In or Sign Up | KeepandShare
Old 27 Aug 2009, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughto View Post
Thanks for the superfast reply Nobby. On the safety side I was careful to disconnect the negative pole of the battery while removing the pump, and I was going to work on the wires well away from the tank. I don't really understand which wires to crimp together, and was hoping maybe you had a picture of the finished article somewhere.
But if you don't never mind, as you say I may be better off finding a local who has already done it to show me how.
I did have the rubber piece you mention, good to know that holds it securely. Annoyingly there were absolutely no instructions about wires in my box.
I got a good price though
Will have... instructions here somewhere... and better photo's if I can find I will copy and photograph the wire connection instructions... but it is simple... just ensure you crimp them tightly... a crimp kit is available from Halfrauds or B and Q

Nobby
Old 15 Oct 2009, 09:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Young Scooby

just reading this post as i'm going to fit a 255 lph pump to my93 wrx on saturday. don't think i'm goin to have any problems with the fitting and the wiring, but just wondered how to do an ECU reset on my model??? any help would be great!!!