Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

2005 Impreza 2000cc N/A mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2009, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

2005 Impreza 2000cc N/A mods

Firstly I cannot afford a WRX and by extension an Sti. That being said I have the option of buying a JDM 2005 Impreza 2000cc - what are my modding options? Can I run a turbo in it no more than 7psi? and if yes what turbo or kit would one recommend? I was thinking front mounted intercooler and so on...

Thanks in advance...
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2009, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: 2005 Impreza 2000cc N/A mods

dont bother wasting your money mate, its not just a case of bolting on a turbo. the cost of the turbo kit and supporting parts will be way way more than a turbo'd car in the first place.

whats your budget?
Old 11 Mar 2009, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Just the guy I was hoping would respond. Ah true... I was looking at prolly another 3,000USD in parts or so... Nothing big though. I wouldn't be trying to put 20psi in there...

I figured I would get me a solid platform that I could drive and then slowly do little things to get it up to (NB: UP TO) 5-7psi without doing a whole engine rebuild. I mean (and I know this is heresy) its a step up from my '02 Lancer 4G18 SOHC 1.6L CVT that I'm currently driving...

So even if I left it stock I thought it was a good buy but if I could slip in 5psi or so I'd be happy like a fat kid on cake...
Old 11 Mar 2009, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

enigne rebuild isn't realy the problem.
tbh im not sure how prices and cost are in america im afraid. going off uk prices then cheapest is get a classic uk turbo, would be similar price and performance wise then it'll well out perform the sport.

is there anyreason y it has to be an 05? could it be an earlier car?
Old 11 Mar 2009, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Import laws... I'm in Trinidad... The car cannot be older than 5 yrs... so 09... 04 See? You have a link to the 'classic turbo'? I wanted to do my homework upfront... Ironically I need to say that I may never turbo the car... I just wanted to know what I could do with the car... I've had Subaru envy for a long time...

Oh and I'm not looking to outperform anyone just have a little more pep to my step...
Old 11 Mar 2009, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarbon View Post
Import laws... I'm in Trinidad... The car cannot be older than 5 yrs... so 09... 04 See? You have a link to the 'classic turbo'? I wanted to do my homework upfront... Ironically I need to say that I may never turbo the car... I just wanted to know what I could do with the car... I've had Subaru envy for a long time...

Oh and I'm not looking to outperform anyone just have a little more pep to my step...

ahh righto i get ya, whats the budget for the car in total? does it need to be left or right hand drive? (sorry no idea about your cars lol)
Old 11 Mar 2009, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Its RHD. I've found it already - an '05 Impreza Sedan. It's quite a steal after taxes, customs and licensing. That would sell in the used car dealership for prolly 110K TTD (12k) (1 = ~9TTD) after I bring it from Japan myself its costing me <70K TTD (7,800)....

The WRX for instance retails down here for ~165K TTD minimum even if I spent another 20-30K TTD in exhaust and intake I would come out much better for my pocket as I could do my mods after recovering financially...

Again I am not trying to create a WRX or Sti - I would faster save and buy one... but I feel as if I could do this over time if I do it right...
Old 11 Mar 2009, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

aye i think your going about it the right way, make sur eyou can afford it before you get it. bear in mind theres lots of cars for sale out there at the min, so dont be afraid to walk away from one
Old 11 Mar 2009, 11:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Word. I hear that. But as a Mitsu convert I have little or no links to JDM Subaru parts... I would prolly be looking into exhaust (love the bubbling sound), intake/forced induction, clutch(?) prolly brakes nada mas...

I was thinking front mounted intercooler, small quick-spooling turbo for low end power... I dunno what else... Links to parts (even for the UK) would be nice so I could do some research...

Thanks again m8 - you have no idea how good this was to thrash out with someone who is in the know... Every where I look its like Fuji Heavy only makes WRX and STi - no love for the regular Imprezas which are great cars! So any links would be a godsend.

Thanks again m8
Old 12 Mar 2009, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Import laws... I'm in Trinidad...
sorry to jack the thread....I'm a regular to Barbados, dad lives there and does a lot of rallying, you follow it at all?
Old 12 Mar 2009, 06:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I try to... But we don't get it on TV much anymore... Them Bajans love their cars... Trinis too but its like an outlaw community. Its quite sad...

Check http//::: TriniTuner.com v2.0 :: and see what's up down here...
Old 14 Mar 2009, 12:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Every where I look its like Fuji Heavy only makes WRX and STi - no love for the regular Imprezas which are great cars! So any links would be a godsend.
Very true.

Sad fact is though, that even here in Japan, the N/A Imprezas (sedan) were never popular until they bought the hatch out. Now i see a lot of them. Imight see i or 2 N/A classic shape imprezas a week and i never, never see the new age cars. Wagons of all ages are fairly popular though.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 01:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

To be honest though I was never a fan of a wagon... Dunno why... I guess I am not a family man... Though I must admit that I like the hatch (the '07 - present Impreza) I am a DJ and I have stuff to carry around... I mostly roll solo or with 1 so folding seats are the bomb. I guess I feel more comfortable with my stuff in a hatch than a wagon... Go figure...

But does anyone have links to parts??? some websites that I can look at?
Old 14 Mar 2009, 01:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Could try here;

Scoobyparts - Subaru Impreza parts and accessories

Sorry i can't hep more but not based in UK myself so not sure where you can get stuff.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 02:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

That's a good start. I fly in everything. I tell people the world is flat again... I can post here, skype there and fly in whatever I need. No borders, no complaints. I will take any others that you know of but I am going there now!