Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

Mod: 2002 Wagon loses the air silencer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2004, 12:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Send a message via AIM to jedimaster
Mod: 2002 Wagon loses the air silencer

OK- I decide to do a few little things to my car not too long ago. One of them was to remove the snorkus (air silencer) and hack the bottom of the airbox- two good mods that are free and make it so you can really hear the turbo spool up.

The first thing you need to do is remove the air scoop from under the hood- only a couple of screws

Then remove the solenoid cover- also a couple of little screws

Then remove the screws for the airbox- they're down in there pretty good, so get a long extension

Remove the hoses from the airbox- just gently move them aside

Here's the box:

Here it is removed:

Hack the bottom of that sucker off so your engine can get more air:

The snorkus comes out of the fender- remove the fender liner to get at it better:

I also took a minute and snipped the section of weatherstripping off under the hood that blocks the air snorkel I removed in the beginning:

Just for good measure, I got a nice STi size scoop- OK, it was really just for looks

Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2004, 06:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Big E
looking good m8 is there anything you can't do to it m8
Old 30 Apr 2004, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Send a message via AIM to jedimaster
I'm running out of things- this is why I'm thinking of leasing my next car- about 2 years and I'm bored of it :shock:
Old 26 May 2005, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
jon
Young Scooby

Air Silencer

Inspired by theotherPhil in another thread and wishing to follow the ways of the Jedimaster; I thought it was about time I took a look inside the drivers wing cavity and check out the so called "air silencer". WHAT A BEAST!!! its huge on my05wrx, about the size of the washer tank.

Decided to remove it and see if I could replace it with a straight through pipe, was a bit of a bugger to get off, crafty 2nd nut and bolt under the front bumper but once off I decided to cut the vessel off right under the inlet and outlet and weld another piece of the same plastic over the cut out piece to produce a straight through pipe, from the flat air inlet above the grille straight to the airbox. Looks much neater and reduced the route of the air by loads, cant believe the size of that silencer must be about 5 litres I removed.

Now I was expecting lots more induction sound, but have only increased turbo sound really and hav'nt yet noticed any improvement in performance, maybe I should follow up with a green panel filter and or ecu reset?.

I just have a few questions:-

1. Is that huge Tank in the wing just an air silencer? or does it do anything else? (Gone now, checked a new one costs 46 if I need it).

2. Anyone know why the flat plastic air inlet under the bonnet and above the grille has a hole in the back of it about 15mm diam, is this to reduce air pressure going into the filter?

3. The silencer also had a small hole in the bottom of it about 5mm diam. Do you think this was to let any water out? maybe I should put a small hole in my new tube to do the same?

Comments please

Jon
Old 26 May 2005, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Hi Jon,

The air box you removed also removes water from the air taken in, thats why it is the size it is,and has the hole to allow for drainage.

Unsure about the hole in the rear of it.

Would deffo go for a green or jr panel filter, and by resetting the ecu I helps it learn the new peramitters quicker.

Buzz
Old 26 May 2005, 09:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
jon
Young Scooby

silencer

Hi Buzz,

Do you think I better put it back then if it is needed to remove water? The hole in the side is in the flat air inlet above the grille, The hole is just above the abs manifold.

Cheers

Jon
Old 26 May 2005, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to buzz
Well jon, as the car is still in warrenty I would think that is the best option, the stock air box is good for upto 350 bhp :wink:

Buzz