Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

helllllllllp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2009, 07:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

helllllllllp

the probelm i am having is...
I bought a toyosport cat back system from flee bay...has anyne else bought one of these....

01-06 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX/STi CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM on eBay, also, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 06-Jan-09 09:57:05 GMT)
this is the actual one i bought....

after the cat on the hawk aye there is a bracket for the prop shaft....
on the exhaust there is a bigger bore section between the 2.5' bore and the 3' bore it is here where the section steps up .... it basically look like where the silencer is...

follow the link an you will see what i mean.....

has anyone else had an experience of this... although it isnt doing any damage to the car it is highly annoying when you go over a bump and feel it knocking underneath...

the exhaust place by me said i could heat it and bend it or heat the bigger flanged bit and beat a notch into it so it clears the bracket...

please help me as the system sounds the dawgs esp on high revs but i cant cop with the knocking underneath...

any suggestions are welcome.. cause i dont want to go back to the std system and i do want to get the 3rd cat replacement pipe for it....

thanks in advance guys
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jan 2009, 02:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: helllllllllp

Could either try longer hanging rubber bushes for exhaust or custom weld an U arm piece for it so wont knock against propshaft then
Old 11 Jan 2009, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

sorry for ignorance whats a u arm .. and where whoulr i get longer exhaust rubbers from..
Old 11 Jan 2009, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

kartboy exhaust hangers? where can i get some or some like them in the uk.... please help me.....
Old 11 Jan 2009, 08:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

kartboy dot com
Have a look at that a U piece would be a steel Like hanger made up from steel in shape of a U let you drop exhaust a bit if you could do that
Old 11 Jan 2009, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

i had already looked at kartboy but i cant see how to get them in the uk.. the website only alows for us posting and there are no resellers out side the usa....

help please....
Old 11 Jan 2009, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Whiteline PLUSTry them they might do them they have a dealer in Scotland it worth a try if not I dont know where else how about Scoobyclinic in the UK
Old 11 Jan 2009, 09:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Cut the wider silencer bit out and get a piece of 2.5in stainless tube an get welded in-think it`l be too low otherwise(though bear in mind still only gives ya 1/4in extra clearance-may still not be enough for exhaust movement) remember you`ve only got so much scope due to where it meets the cat at the front join and ya cant lower where it mounts to that only angle the centre piece down from there-then chances are ya wont have the right angle at the bk where your tailpipe comes out under the bumper.

Welcome to the world of cheap exhausts

Bit suprised actually it says 01-06 fitment.

Scoobyworld list 2006-2007 seperately Subaru Impreza Exhaust decat downpipe, centre section, sports cat. :

Last edited by uk dave; 11 Jan 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

the place i got it froma say they sell loads of these exhausts and never had any comback like this....... they have asked me to take pictures.... i wont be able to return it as the garage that fitted it heated one of the brakets to bend it to try and get clearance....

boooo hisss..... it was only to do me while i save for a full hayward and scott system... might have to go back to std or beat the wider bit to a groove for clearance....

bugger!!!!!! ... there sould be a law againt selling stuff that doesn fit properly
Old 11 Jan 2009, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I had a 106gti before this i bought a stainless 4 branch manifold for (milltek) Thought decent reputation quite good price,took my downpipe off manifold only to find that where the 4-2-1 went down the front of the engine wouldnt pass by the oil filter at all-werent talking rubbing on it were way out,to get the manifold on would have had to physically remove the filter-were well dissapointed.

Rang em up where i had it from an said same as what you got well we sell loads of these an had no probs with the rest-they know me well at this shop as ive had loads of stuff for fords from them in the past so knew i were no idiot(answers on a postcard to lol)

Wether they sell loads or not does that change the fact it dont fit right coz it certainly didnt for me-in the end took the milltek bk and put another 110 to the 220 i`d already paid an got a supersprint(which strangely enough went straight on)
Old 11 Jan 2009, 10:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

If it makes you feel better ive had loads of stuff for cars that hasnt been ideal in the past its not uncommon,ive had several exhausts that didnt come out at anywhere near the right angle for hole/recess in bumper that ive cut/re welded up to get right or modified the hangers on.

Just because someone says it fits said yr doesnt always mean without a fight and in some cases theyre totally wrong about the yr im sure they guess sometimes.

Ive also bought stuff from motor factors thats been labelled up as the right part product code wise on the outside of the box only to be the wrong fitment inside it.

CV joints with the wrong inner part but are sealed when ya buy em put driveshaft on went a spin round came bk turned corner of street and the driveshaft popped out the cv housing and as it turned an came out pulled cv out the gearbox-great gear oil everywhere on our street-i werent impressed-were ages drying it up with sand then later next day sweeping it up.

Bought a fse power boost valve for the 106 took to cituning only to be told its the wrong one as i were gonna let them fit it(didnt look right to me to be fair)however daz a mate had one he`d still got to fit on his so he agreed to be the guinea pig made all the mistakes on his lol.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Young Scooby

nope i dont feel any better....lol.......:P

annoyting is is sound the absoloute damage...nice burble on tick over nice deep butrble up th revvs until full boost when is sounds like hell has just opened....... sounds like a fecking drag car at full boost... but nice and quiet on the low rev run

plus it seems to hit boost alot quicker....
Old 11 Jan 2009, 11:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

What about wrapping the bracket or exhaust with exhaust wrap(dont know if theres scope to on the bracket its catching on)if there is will insulate the metal on metal noise to at least be bearable or hardly noticeable.
Old 11 Jan 2009, 11:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Young Scooby

it is hitting right where the silencer the biggest bore bit flanges out..... right on there... though about hitting it with a hammer..lol.... would it really impare he performance of the car.... anyways am taking photos tomorrow for the company i got it from so i will try and post them here.....

any other suggestions welcome.....

am going to save for a h an s back box, center section and 3rd decat pipe....... not going for full decat.... justnow.... but if anyone knows of a 2nd hand system let me know asap... ta... i thank you
Old 12 Jan 2009, 11:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Young Scooby

wooooooohoooooooooooooooo........ got it sorted.. took it to another exhaust place who put really stiff longer rubbers on it.. and hey presto no banging... and they didnt charge me for it... i had the origonal system in the back fready to swap it out....