Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

Best Engine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2008, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Best Engine?

Thanks for the welcome, re the Newbies page.

My choice of weapon would be a wagon, hopefully WRX Sti, from what i have been able to find, i would do well to choose a JDM import with the red top engine, would i also be correct in saying that this is one of the stronger engines? Closed deck, forged pistons and stronger rods? I am looking at around a 96/97 model year version 3/4.
I have already resigned myself to the fact that i am going to have to retro-fit a 6-speed box, how much of the 6-speed ancillaries will be needed to carry out the conversion?
My target is eventually 400-500 bhp, running 1.5 to 2.0 bar boost, what is the limit of the standard MAP sensor for this pressure?

I have lots more questions for the future, but firstly i want to get a good foundation to build up from.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 03:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: Best Engine?

If you go with the Ver3/4 and want to swap out the drive train, I would think that it will bolt in nicely with the 6spd w/DCCD but again Im not to familiar with the Drivetrain System of the GC's since Im more familiarized with the GD models. But our subaru cars are just like lego's, you can use different parts from other impreza models and it'll work with little to no modification neccessary. But you gotta love AVCS!!
Old 29 Dec 2008, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Hi mate,

The version 3/4 STi's had the open deck engine not the closed deck but they did have some forged internals as you say. As for the box, you can retro fit the 6 speed box which I'm planning on doing (RA box though) as the calssic boxes are not too strong. You need to replace the rear diff with the new age one iirc, and maybe the drive shafts too. I have read up on this on another site so I'll try and find the thread.

Last edited by rikimaru; 29 Dec 2008 at 04:25 AM.
Old 29 Dec 2008, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

if you are planning around the 500bhp mark, a fully forged built motor would be required.

alot are going down the route of 2.5 ltr for the extra torque.

you will need the 6speed gearbox and rear diff for the upgrade of the transmission (not forgetting the flywheel & clutch).

give alan or martyn a bell at Alan Jeffery - Engine Tuner for advise.
Old 01 Jan 2009, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for all the advice!

It looks like i will be going for a JDM STi wagon V4, especially since i have found that you can replace the non-mappable standard ECU with an Apexi plug and play ECU.
Old 02 Jan 2009, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

look into the simtek ecu.

SimTek Performance Engine Management

loads of features for the money