Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

fuel pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2008, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Thumbs down fuel pump

hi all out there- just like to know if changing to uprated fuell pump is hard job on my 99 uk turbo 2000.is it under back seat ? cant beleive i dont know where it is.any help would be gratefull thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Apr 2008, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

It's in the boot, but it's easier to access from the rear seat. Jump in the back "drivers side" lower the backrest, lift the mat up and directly below that you'll find a square cover plate with 4 screws....... thats the one with the fuel pump. It takes about half hour from start to finish. Hope that helps m8
Old 08 Apr 2008, 09:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

thanks mal.sorry to bug you but i think it is in tank and sounds bit fiddley.is it easyto remove and refit.never had to do before so not seen it really.thaks again-carl.
Old 08 Apr 2008, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

look at no. 7, 8, 9 & 10.

Diagram 10 shows you what it looks like with cover plate removed. Disconnect fuel lines and all electrical connectors. Remove all retaining screws then simply lift out complete unit.
Old 08 Apr 2008, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
like been said its under the boot mat, just behind the rear seat, drivers side. you will need to remove 8 or 10 8mm nuts that hold the cover plate down, then withdraw the whole pump / petrol level sender assembly. its takes a couple of twists to get the whole thing out but after that its easy sailing. If you go for the uprated 255ltr walbro pump then you may find that the wiring is too short in which case you just need to use a couple of insulated crimps to extend the wiring and make sure you secure them so they dont rub loose etc. Half an hour should be ample although i did find taking out the back seat made the whole job easier. Also if you remove the rear seat you can unplug the pump before disturbing the tank area instead of disconnecting the battery as it has a wiring harness connector directly beneath the rear seat drivers side (black 4 wire plug)

Last edited by Anders52; 08 Apr 2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09 Apr 2008, 09:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

nice one people-just one thing i need cofirmed-do i have to drain tank empty?sorry never done before and would rather sound stupid on here than wreck my scoobs or get injured.
Old 09 Apr 2008, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

No the tank doesnt need drained but it would less messy if the tank was near empty. Be prepared to spill some fuel when you remove the pump from the tank and when you remove the fuel lines.

Before you remove the fuel pipes unplug the pump remove the filler cap and start the engine so the fuel pressure drops in the pipework. helps to stop fuel spraying everywhere when the pipes are removed. (be prepared with a rag to catch whatever spills out though as there will still be some.)

Also make sure you dont drop anything in the tank or you will be singing the blues otherwise lol.

Last edited by Anders52; 09 Apr 2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09 Apr 2008, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

much respect folks.i work in small bodyshop but when it comes to mechanics i like to know the whole picture if possible.most places want 80-100 quid just to fit so it would be nice to do myself.you never know i might be brave enough to do injectors next !!!!!! lol.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

Sorry........ I should have edited out the drain fuel tank bit. But as said above, there's no need to empty tank. I was lucky, my tank was about 1/4 full. But obviously you do get a bit of spillage. Always handy to have a few rags ready.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Lads hows the form...hav a wee bit of a problem could use yer help wit..have 1994 sti jap import, which has a Toad imboliser on it.. went to work came home no problemo.. zapped the beast as per usual..next day zapped her opened her turned the key ..no petrol gettin to the engine... now wondering has the imboliser engaged for some stupid reason? or has the fuel pump gone? or has a fuse gone to either do ye think and if so where do i start..

cheer

wayne
Old 16 Jun 2008, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

take out the bottom of the rear seat and you will find a black connector with 4 wires in it on the drivers side.

Split it and turn on the ignition. Now use a multimeter set to measure up to 20volts DC if possible and see what you get on the 2 thicker wires(red and black from memory) (the smaller multicolour wires are for the fuel gauge). If 12v is present but the pump does not run then its pretty certain the pump has failed.
If there isnt 12v then its either your immobiliser holding the car off (although i would expect nothing would come on except maybe the engine light which should flash depending on the immob) or the fuel pump relay is dodgy (a real pain to change as its right behind the drivers vent and you have to reach up under the dash to get it.

Hope that helps