Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

275bhp Remap on 250k???
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2015, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

275bhp Remap on 250k???

Hi People,

Just wondering what everyone thought over the title issue?

I use my 2001 bugeye WRX in the road going classes at the midland hill climbs and am looking for a bit more boost to help drag my time down.

The car has the EJ205 2.0t lump, UK spec. Yes, you read correctly, it's just about to hit 250 000 miles. The turbo was replaced 60k ago, the bottom & top end had full rebuilds under 90k ago. I personally did the head gaskets and cam belt 5k ago and am the 2nd owner. The first handed me a ton of Subaru service history proving how well the car had been looked after. He did a lot of motorway commuting which is what put the mileage up. There are no signs of smoke from the tailpipe & holds its oil level well.

It has the Pipercross panel filter, stainless manifold, de catted turbo up pipe, Cobra sports (2nd) cat, & Cobra cat back system. I have been told that it's likely to have boost spikes with the mods without a remap too which does worry me a little.

Has anyone had one remapped on this mileage?

Would you risk it with the mileage?

Would I be better off with the ECUtek version or would a openECU type be as good?

Any local remapping people in Gloucestershire willing to touch it? The ones I've asked have run a mile!

Any advice gratefully received
Old 14 Sep 2015, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: 275bhp Remap on 250k???

if the rebuild was good 90k ago then should be fine, those mods are pretty substantial for not being mapped so unless your very lucky could cause issues
Old 14 Sep 2015, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

I agree with Tidgy, also check out this page/ list of ECU mapping companies. Click >> ECU Mapping
Old 14 Sep 2015, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks Tidgy, I'm finding it rather confusing at the moment. Several rally guys have said I would melt a piston if I do remap it, others are saying I'll cause damage due to the mods if I don't map it?!

The hill climbs are only a minute long so won't have too much abuse there, the rest of the time its my daily driver so ill be stuck in traffic apart from the odd 50 mile road rally where I usually run in to a slower car!

The plan is to get the ecu to work woth the mods and increase the boost 'slightly'. I'm not after stupid amounts of horses, just a slight increase as I'm only 2 seconds of my classes record time!
Old 14 Sep 2015, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

car certainly needs mapping for the mods, that doesnt mean you have to UP the boost,
You need to control the boost, which is what people are telling you.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ahh, cheers Bob ... so from that I presume I'm better avoiding the stage 1 map and just get the standard one tweeked to stop confusing the ecu.

The figures quoted on a stage 1 would be a 45bhp/65mn torque increase. No idea personally how much the boost pressure would 9n crease from that? :/
Old 14 Sep 2015, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I've just researched and apparently a standard wrx boosts at 13.5/14.5.., stage 1 is 16.5psi ... is a few psi really going to risk the engine? If so, can anyone suggest a 'sensible' raise which won't, obviously if at all possible??
Old 14 Sep 2015, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

whats this stage bollox?
your car can either be mapped for the decat / boost control (maybe the error light 0420) or the best/max it can be safely adjusted to, typically 1.2 bar for a wrx but not all can take this,
a map will alter the mid range of the car completely anyway which is all you care about, what it may get at 7k isnt that important if the drive ability is 100 times better from 2200 rpm.
Old 14 Sep 2015, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

This will be the first car i will have had mapped so its all new, please bear with me. I'm referring to my local (& national) tuners guides ref Stage1/2/3 etc.

If the boost kicks in lower down the rev range then yes, it should help reduce the lag no end. However, I would rather not raise the rev limiter due to the mileage as I fear that may push the engine too hard
Old 14 Sep 2015, 08:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
whats this stage bollox?
seems to have poped up from the land of facebook tuners lol
Old 15 Sep 2015, 07:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Personally since fitting the 2.2ohm resistor I've had no Cat Threshold error codes.Just the odd false misfire ones which are prone on era of wrx.

You may find the Gran Tourismo games (which were around before facebook) are more to blame!

Last edited by Rally_matt; 15 Sep 2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 15 Sep 2015, 08:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

If your bodging resistors in to get you by I'd go for fast and furious remap . . . .
Old 15 Sep 2015, 09:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ahh, I see... still being a cock then! lol!
Old 15 Sep 2015, 10:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

good luck with ya time bomb, I love those that ask for advice but all ready know it all,
we get them here for a while until their car goes pop and they run out of funds to repair it,
this isnt like most forums, we dont give bull shit advice, we try and help people in a honest way,
if you find me a cock then certainly ignore everything I have said and we will all be happy.

Old 15 Sep 2015, 11:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I appreciate advice over a subject I'm not sure with & I have only asked questions ... your p155 taking I have not asked for, hence the 'cock'isms' ... between the 3 competiton cars I'm sure I can fund another full rebuild! ... good luck with the trolling
Closed Thread