Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

Engine Build advice- 300-350 fwhp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2013, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Engine Build advice- 300-350 fwhp

Chaps,

New to this forum and thought I'd start by initiating a discussion on the build of a decent-spec subaru motor for use in an alternative vehicle; in this case a classic VW beetle.

So I'm searching for base engines, and plan on rebuilding from the crank up to a completely finished motor. The question is, what engine should I start with in order to achieve the ultimate goal of 300-350 flywheel Hp?

I understand that the 93- STI motors are the units with fully forged bottom ends, and closed deck block, meaning they are more suitable for high power applications. But is this necessary? I've always been a bigger fan of displacement; would going EJ25 turbo be a better route? In which case, which engine should I look for?

I'd like to avoid sleeving blocks and expensive engineering exercises; but am happy to port, modify and lighten where necessary. Are the stock forged pistons good enough? Should I be looking at later base engines?

Finally, what spec would you look for externally? Turbo, injectors etc? I already have an ECU lined up and am happy to tune myself- I've a fair amount of experience on this.

Cheers for the advice in advance.

Steve
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2013, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Engine Build advice- 300-350 fwhp

300-350 is standard engine power (decat and map) so realy your going up the scale if you have a decent budget.

2.5 makes a cracking motor when built right, decent rods, pistons, gaskets, head studs and then supporting stuff (turbo, inlet pipe, wing mounted induction kit, etc etc)

ive got a rebuilt 2.5 in mine and its running 400bhp, although if your talking fwhp i'm assume your us? so power rating differ