Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

Upgrade ideas for my 2012 wrx sti please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2012, 07:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Upgrade ideas for my 2012 wrx sti please.

I bought myself a wrx sti hatch earlier this year, and although I'm still in awe of what I can get done, I would like to start making some subtle modifications.

Here's the kicker though, I live in the desert (Abu Dhabi) to be precise. This means a few things; temperatures upwards of 40 are common, (occasionally hitting 50 during the summer). In addition to this, the level of sand and dust in the air is obviously very high.

In my mind this makes me lean towards upgrading the intake system before doing anything else to increase the flow of air into the engine to counter the low air density. In addition to that, I need as much cooling as I can possibly get my hands on.

After my limited research, it seems a popular mod is to move the intercooler to the front of the engine. Is this likely to aid cooling significantly?

Suggestions please!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2012, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Upgrade ideas for my 2012 wrx sti please.

front mount intercooler. will be a big big improvement + wing mounted induction kit rather than engine bay fitted one followed by a remap. also possibly an uprated oil cooler to keep oil temps lower.

dust and sand might mean you need to look at different filters to try to find a suitable material rather than a standard one.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Where can I find examples of wing mounted induction kits? In theory that sounds like the most important first mod. And an oil cooler. Then the FMIC would have to wait somewhat.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2012, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

i would say oil cooler would be first one if you running temps that mega high, also don't boot it after you have sat in trafic, heat will have soaked into the top mount and it can cause damage to the engine if you boot it.

need to check exact fitmet for your car, usual names tend to do them K&N, etc