Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

tuning of impreza GL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Feb 2012, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

tuning of impreza GL

Hi, I want to do some light tuning of my 1996 impreza 2.0 GL non-turbo without abs. I already have Setisfied GS6 street ceramic brake pads, by the way can you tell me if they fit as I checked only on impreza 1996 LX 2.2 and not sure.
Next I want to buy NGK BKR6EIX irridium spark plugs, also change rotors to blank ones from Brembo or EBC, sports filter from K&N,
Can you give any ideas? Oh, and people tell me that my ceramic brake pads, don't work properly until they are heated, hope it is not true, as I use it in normal driving basicaly?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2012, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: tuning of impreza GL

well there aint much to do on them non turbos. however i did a high compression build on my old sport. basically swapped my heads for a set of wrx DOHC ones. gave me around 180bhp. with the other wee parts i had done. but i did all work myself and sourced parts cheapily. then took pleasure doing all work.
end result was good enough for me. especially since i kept it all natural. next time i do it i will use a legacy block 2.2. then rear wheel convert it for mega fun.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

power wise as said the money you pay will just not be worth it. only way to get decent power will be to turbo it and do all the supporting mods, but subaru did that for you with a turbo'd model lol

if you wanna tweek it then prob worth lookign at upgrading parts you will be able to transfer to a turbo'd model later down the line (assuming you get one), suspension, brakes, bodywork are all interchangeable for the same year (disclaimer confirm they are transferable with the supplier though cos there are odd things that arn't).
Old 22 Feb 2012, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Nos for fun and standard for day to day