Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Modifications - Tips and Tricks

Subaru Impreza Forum

Exhaust kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2011, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Exhaust kit

Hi guys, before I go on, I do not want any bitchy commects or piss taking. I wanna do this just for a laugh.

I have built an exhaust flame kit, have not put it on the car and driven with it, I have only put it in exhaust and revved, no flames. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

MY99 turbo 2000 with ppp ecu and full decat system.

Any ideas welcome please! (not after insults, just support)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2011, 02:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Exhaust kit

From my understanding of a flamer kit there is a spark plug rigged into the exhaust and a switch that releases unburned petrol which is ignited as it is expelled. As long as you have these things in place it should be working. If not then obviously check the spark plug and switch/electrics are working and there is actually fuel being dumped into the exhaust.

Failing that you could go for a bit of anti lag.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 02:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Cheers for reply mate.

I have the full setup, coil, lead, plug, all connections ect and the box to make it a near constant spark. All works fine. I have not put it on my car under load as yet, only bunged it up exhaust and revved it loads, NOTHING!

I did not want to drill exhaust ect if not gonna work hence why only tried stationary.

Do you know what the fuelling would be like under load decelearting??

Also, how do you get a anti lag???
Old 27 Feb 2011, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Tbh, not sure on the specifics of how it works as not something I've ever looked into, but found this on Snet;

Flamer Kit - ScoobyNet

Anti lag is (I think) progammed into the ECU. Simtek for example allows for anti lag to be mapped in. In all seriousness though, wouldn't personally bother with anti lag unless you have plenty of cash to replace your turbo every so often. Does make some nice noises though.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 02:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

cheers fella. Im gonna try and find difference between Air fuel ratios from standing and under load. See if thats y. Can smell some amount of unburnt fuel, maybe not sticking it far enough into exhaust.

Thanks for help
Old 05 Mar 2011, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinarnold_1uk View Post
cheers fella. Im gonna try and find difference between Air fuel ratios from standing and under load. See if thats y. Can smell some amount of unburnt fuel, maybe not sticking it far enough into exhaust.

Thanks for help
it would probably be easier/safer to have more fuel mapped into over run for flames. You may also need the exhaust to be hot,my car only pops and bangs when cold (more fuel on choke) and when I've been giving it some and the decat exhaust is very hot. If you do get it working and put it properly inplace an mot centre will not pass it forcing you to remove it and get a replacement exhaust because you drilled your old one,plus if the police catch you using it they will have a field day and take your car off you. Not putting you down for wanting it but the costly issues it may cause will outway the fun factor