Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Interior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Rear Clusters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2010, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Rear Clusters

Is there any guides on sealing the rear lights up, no got a clue wats involved. thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2010, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Re: Rear Clusters

Quote:
Originally Posted by george2000 View Post
Is there any guides on sealing the rear lights up, no got a clue wats involved. thanks
Well know for leaking... they have a black mastic that acts as a seal... if you ever remove them... some of the mastic sticks to the facing panel... and once it's disturbed it never seals properly again

What I have done in the past is use a clear silicone sealant when refitting the clusters... sorry I dont have pics...and this seems to have worked

Hope this helps
Old 03 Feb 2010, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Undo the bolts from the lights from the inside think they 8mm bolts, pop lights out then clean the sealing surfaces apply silicone to the sealing area and pop light back in and secure with bolts bobs your uncle sorted

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 03 Feb 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 13 Feb 2010, 04:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Send a message via MSN to SiV6Si

Guide curtsey of PhilA over on RB5OC

Quote:
Don't be put off by all the other threads, they really are dead easy to fit.

Here's the essential tools you need before you start. A body scraper is definitely recommended. Also, use of the girlfriend's hairdryer is handy.

First off, peel back the boot covers and remove the 5 nuts, they aren't on very tight.
Next using a knife, cut into the old sealant around the lights, removing any excess bits as you go. Make sure you cut as much as you can.
Then grab the top of the light are pull HARD. It will start to move, the pull the side of the light (the side towards the number plate).
It should move enough for you to get the knife in and cut around the bottom section of the lights.
Then square the lights up a little as you will be a little wonky by this point and try and get your fingers in the other side of the lights (the side towards the outer of the car).

Again pull hard and the light will come out. Easy, only took me 30 minutes in total to remove the light.
There will be a lot of sealant still stuck to the light and the car, cut through this as close to the car as possible so it remains stuck to the light.
Watch you don't get any on the bodywork, it is a good idea to cover it up before you start this bit.

Then your left with this.

Using the scraper remove as much of the left over sealant as possible. If you heat it up with a hair dryer it is much much easier to work with. I tried using nail varnish remover and surgical spirit but both were no good. Just use loads of heat and wipe it down with a rag, it will come off. While I was on I gave the car a bit of a clean.

The next task is to remove the piece of metal from the bottom of the old light, give it a quick clean and fit it to the new lights. It is held in by 3 screws. If you have new STI's it's a little tough getting the screws in, don't over tighten them though.

With your new lights try a dummy run fitting them so you know what your doing, you don't want to run into trouble whilst the sealant is on.
Take your new bottle of sealant (£7.50 from your local DIY store) and cut the nozzle as large as possible. Apply as much sealant as your dare. I used 3/4 of a can per side so make sure you buy 2.

Then refit the new lights and fasten the 5 nuts back on. I tightened them quite tight with my tools but not fully to allow the sealant some time to stick. You can tell by the gap at the top of the lights.

On the drivers side light it is a good idea to modify it with a fog light. There is 2 ways to do this, I choose the easy way. First fit a red light bulb into the reverse holder.

If you look at the pin layout you will see the black and brown wires normally used for the reverse light.

Using a small screwdriver, press the clips in and pull on the cables, they will come out very easily. Now insert them into the blank slots.

Now when you turn on the fog light, the red bulb will light up and you still have a reverse light in the LHS light.

In total it took me about 2 hours per light, mainly because I was taking my time and cleaning everything as well as taking photo's. When the lights are fitted they must remain dry for 12-24 hours, and as it has been raining all day I decided to cover the car overnight.

Once the sealant is dry you can tighten up the nuts a little bit more.
Now admire your handy work.

Looks much better IMO.

And for the finishing touch, add some silver indicator bulbs and a high powered fog light LED bulb.

before:

after:

Old 13 Feb 2010, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

My only comment would be not to use silicone because of the problems you'll face should you need to take the light out. Invest in some more mastic as this doesn't set hard.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Lol mine are tigersealed in, aint no way theyre coming out PMSL

Can remember yrs ago i tigersealed some JL subs into a sub box-MISTAKE OR WHAT lol had to get a crow bar to lever em out Were lucky not to damage the baskets.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

The run through is great, im stuck now with the reaf fog light. The switch in the front needs to be lit up when bulb is on, ive managd to get the switch to light up but how do i wire the switch up to the bulb? Im not an electrician as you can see. In this break down it shows how the wires are relocated into the terminal, but how do i wire this to a switch in the front? Any help appreciated.
Old 15 Feb 2010, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

very helpful guide, thanks, gonna do this at weekend!
Old 15 Feb 2010, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

george 2000 if you are doing this without an external fog light, please let me know how you managed to sort the switch bit out, it will be very usefull. Thanks Gareth
Old 15 Feb 2010, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi gareth am not sure how to do the switch either, wanting to do this mod as I dont have a rear fog light at all, anyone know how to hook up the switch?
Old 16 Feb 2010, 09:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Technical_Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by george2000 View Post
Hi gareth am not sure how to do the switch either, wanting to do this mod as I dont have a rear fog light at all, anyone know how to hook up the switch?
Id suggest picking the live up for the switch from the lighting circuit so it only comes on when your lights are on.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Ive wired the switch in no probs, but im stuck now trying to get the switch and the bulb to work together? Currently the switch light comes on but no bulb at home! I can earth the bulb no probs but the wires for the bulb are brown and black, so the brown straight to the switch? Another problem is the terminal that goes into the back of the switch i dont know which wire to attach to the wire for the bulb? Sounds like im making this whole situation alot harder than it should be? Seems like i need a fools guide too.....