Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Interior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Smoke smell & damaged centre console

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2009, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Smoke smell & damaged centre console

I've recently bought my first Impreza but the previous owner obviously smoked because the interior reeks of it. Can anyone recommend a cleaner for the faux suede side panels and the seat covers? Most cleaners I've looked at say they're not recommended for that sort of fabric.

And in an attempt to cover up the smell, my wife put an oil-based air freshener in, upside down, which has dripped all down the centre console and taken the paint off! I've got a firm who will try and repaint it but they need to know the paint colour number (its a dark grey - but not the same shade as the car which is silver-grey). Anyone any ideas?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Smoke smell & damaged centre console

Hi.

Quote:
my wife put an oil-based air freshener in, upside down, which has dripped all down the centre console and taken the paint off! I've got a firm who will try and repaint it but they need to know the paint colour number (its a dark grey - but not the same shade as the car which is silver-grey).
If the colour's not the same as the body. Sorry i don't know.

The paint code for the body is on the VIN plate "Engine compartment"

Link: Info: Subaru Impreza Paint Codes

Last edited by 2002pete; 18 Aug 2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks Pete. I know what the body colour is - it's the pesky interior which is bugging me. It's about one and a half shades darker!
Old 19 Aug 2009, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Autoglym interior shampoo`s good for getting rid of smoke smell in cars,when i bought a micra runabout the interior were minging though didnt realise how bad till i started cleaning it.

sprayed the whole rooflining with it then left it say 10mins to soak in then lightly sprayed it again before before rubbing in one direction only with a damp cloth,if it still looks dirty when ya get to the other end of rooflining go back in the other direction only-once wet ya can rub the pile off the fabric rooflining rubbing back an forth at once hence why i did it this way-made a massive difference to that car though,were good on vinyl door panels aswell for getting the yellow staining off.

As for suede not had anything to do with cleaning it but can find out,I`ll be back
Old 19 Aug 2009, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Been on cleanyourcar.co.uk an it seems a damp(not wet)microfibre cloth and fairly weak all purpose cleaner-may be ok with that autoglym interior shampoo but try on a small area first and rub in lightly then go over with a dry microfibre cloth after.

If you want to search anywhere for yourself try detailingworld.co.uk, ppl on there will tell ya.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks Dave. I'm an Autoglym fan and had thought about using their shampoo but wasn't sure about the suede-effect panels. I think I'll try a mobile valeting service to give the whole interior the once-over and also de-odorise it once they've finished. The pong is pretty bad and is worse when the car's been standing in the sun.

Have you any ideas on the colour of the centre console?
Old 19 Aug 2009, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Best thing you could do "possibly" is go to a car shop and get as close as you can colourwise with the various colours of aerosols they`ve got,short of that just get another centre console fascia from a breakers.
Old 19 Aug 2009, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbadger View Post
The pong is pretty bad and is worse when the car's been standing in the sun.
Know what ya mean the woman that had the micra previous to me had dogs aswell-dogs an a smoker-great combination for a lovely smelling interior

Chemical guys do some good deodorising sprays so im told(havent tried em meself though)

Click-The finest car care and automotive detailing products available.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ended up buying new fascia panels and having them fitted at dealer. Mentioned the smell while I was there and they suggested the pollen filter in the air con needed changing (not part of the standard a/c service but "advisory" - it was black and stunk to high heaven). Had a young lad come round yeserday from a mobile valet company - he spent a couple of hours cleaning the whole interior and it now smells as sweet as anything.
Old 31 Aug 2009, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Glad ya got it sorted mate