Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Interior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Changing dash lights for led ones! Any one done it??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2009, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Changing dash lights for led ones! Any one done it??

Ok so Im bored with my crap green dashboard lights and wondered if anyone had changed them for blue, red etc? I have a 01 impreza new age bug eye speedo in middle of dash....

I fancy red but wondered if it was just the bulbs that are green or something else like a green tinted strip somewhere in the clock unit? Any tips on changing that, if there is one?

Also what about changing the green heater leds for coloured ones too? Give scooby a bit more character....

Any hints tips guides appreciated.

Steve

Last edited by spadey99; 30 Jan 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: Changing dash lights for led ones! Any one done it??

Just fitted Lockwood white dials kit in my 97 classic and the lamps in the dash appear to have a green lens over them so I dare say it's a matter of changing just the lamps. I find that the lamps are very dim especially around the miles and trip guage?
Have searched very unsuccesfully for a switch to brighten/dim the dash lights I guess it doesn't exist?

Having a green scooby I quite like the green lights I just want brighter illumination, it's so bad that the needles on the dials are almost non-existant in the dark maybe a glow in the dark orange pen would do the trick to make the needles show up a bit?

Any ideas?
Old 04 Aug 2009, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Can anyone reccomend the best places to get upgraded custom dials/LEDs etc?
Old 09 Aug 2009, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I have a 98 impreza and my clock illumination is on the turn signal switch. It rotates forward and backwards.
Old 09 Aug 2009, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

mmmm going to go have a look at mine now, was thinking the same as Tiger the illumination is very dark.

nope all mine has on the indicator switch is the washer control front and rear.

97 import
Old 07 Oct 2009, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to woodo

dont buy leds! i have done it twice now to different cars and regretted it... because and led shines forward your dials end up having dark patches on them... im sure if you look on the web there a bulb paints. and as for your clock whatever colour the bulb is thats what the backlight colour will be, if your looking for something a bit different look on flea bay for some plasma dials, they come as white dials and on a night light either green or blue, well worth the 4o quid spent, and there easy to fit
Old 08 Oct 2009, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I got some blue LED bulbs put in last weekend and I'm really chuffed with them! Took a while to get right as they didn't all work to start with but well worth the effort.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

as woodoo mentioned, i got the cheap kit and it does look good and at night you can now see how fast your going! Only thing is it does make your car look like Blackpool illuminations along with your gauges if they also light up, but i kinda like that :-) The company is called Visual-Performanceuk and they have various kits for different models including import 180mph models.
Old 18 Dec 2009, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodo View Post
dont buy leds! i have done it twice now to different cars and regretted it... because and led shines forward your dials end up having dark patches on them... im sure if you look on the web there a bulb paints. and as for your clock whatever colour the bulb is thats what the backlight colour will be, if your looking for something a bit different look on flea bay for some plasma dials, they come as white dials and on a night light either green or blue, well worth the 4o quid spent, and there easy to fit
If you sand the end of the bulb slightly it stops the shine/spots issue
Old 28 Apr 2010, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yes I attempted this last night on my classic. I read somewhere this was easy. Perhaps if you have small hands!

Once you have unscrewed all the covers for the dials and unclipped switches and covers from dials you have two options, prize the needles off and unscrew dials or remove clocks and unclip bulbs from the back. The former "easier" the latter less likely to break something.

I tried to prize the needles off (tough but have to be careful) but I accidentally disconnected the speedo, so I gave that up and replaced them from the back and I would just do this first, you don't want to have to replace a broken needle. This bit was easy as they just twist out in the holder, old bulb out new LEDs in and check they are the right way round (LEDs are directional so must be in right way).

Putting the Speedo cable back on was annoying, unclip the other end from below and behind the intercooler, one C-clip and it pulls out, loosen cable upwards thorugh gromit, replace on to dial and put clocks back together (fiddly). Reconnect other end of speedo cable. A bit annoying but not impossible. Dont' try and do it when you get back from work and end up running out of daylight like me! And remember to test before re-assembly!

LEDs: You can get inverse wedge shaped ones that spread light better. Mine are not bog standard LEDS, they are 4-in-1 so are fine. I got them from a website called Ultimate Mods, very quick delivery which is just as well and multiple colours. On a classic you need 6 LEDs, needless to say I did not realise this until it was off and in my hands. The ones I have replaced look ace and match my Prosport boost guage now. Worth doing as stock bulbs and mini green caps are super poor.

Looks good, not a massively quick job though.