Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Interior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Wet rear seats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jan 2009, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Wet rear seats

hello,

i have recently just purchased my first impreza but now the back seat on the passenger side is getting wet when it rains or when i wash the car.

however i cannot find where the water is coming in from, has anyone experienced similar problems?

many thanks

Tombo
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2009, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Re: Wet rear seats

Took me sisters car to a mates place where he brushed soapy water around the outside window rubbers then blew an airline around the inside bubbles everywhere down the side of the windscreen- though this were on a peugeot but obviously principle will work on anything.

If not that try seals around windows/failing that if its like other cars (if sunroof fitted) Theres 4 drains from the sunroof recess two forward and 2 rear-2 pipes go from the sunroof forward down the front pillars 2 backward down rear pillars could be these leaking possibly-never had dealings with scooby sunroofs however as mine hasnt got one so could be a different setup-just giving you ideas.
Old 19 Jan 2009, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks mate

this is the non sunroof model, i have just been checking and the boot floor is wet? however the seals appear to be dry, dont understand where its coming in from?

thanks

Tom
Old 19 Jan 2009, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

No aerials/spoilers/roofvents on the roof??
Old 19 Jan 2009, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Where abouts is the seat wet the base or the back and where??
Old 19 Jan 2009, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

right i have just been out to the car with my torch to see what i can find. so i proceeded to try and find the problem, yet to my horror when i pulled the carpet away by where the jack is positioned there was a huge pool of water so i have mopped this up and i have also adjusted the boot to make is sit tighter on the seal and i am going to check the out come of this.

you have to excuse my lack of knowledge of the subaru's i have been i die hard 205 fan for years and this is all new to me lol
Old 19 Jan 2009, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

My 97 classic is exactly the same mate. Think it's getting in UNDER the boot seal, bloody nightmare!
Old 19 Jan 2009, 09:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i love the way you say bloody nightmare that fills me with complete confidence.

how did you get about it?
Old 19 Jan 2009, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Send a message via AIM to SCOOBYDEUX

Our 2001 bugeyes are the same - the spare wheel well was filled with water. We thought it was coming in where the spoiler joins the boot lid or where the spoiler brake light cable comes into the boot. We gunked it up with loads of silicone and it seems to have done the job. Have read other posts - seems to be a common problem.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
i have been i die hard 205 fan for years and this is all new to me lol

I got a mate whose one of those

engines coming out though he`s got a 306gti engine to go in cams etc etc
think he`s gonna leave on carbs though.

Old 20 Jan 2009, 11:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thats a bit nice, and Mi16 lump, must say gti6 engines are so smooth into a 205. brilliant conversion, he will be very impressed with the results. thats a lovely little track slag.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 12:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I too have just bought my first Impreza and before i left the dealers noticed a smell of damp in the boot but no obvious wetness anywhere, my initial thought was possibly water coming in through the spoiler, there seems to be a lot of condensation in the car in general, need to investigate a bit more, but from what i'm reading it sounds like a bit of a common problem!!!
Old 25 Jan 2009, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

right i have complete;y siliconed everything i could see a crease or possible hole. not the prettiest method but at the end of the day its in the boot and i had an extreme flow of water.

i also noticed a small drill hole in below the lining of the boot seal, which looks factory to me. but i as the boot seals have become older the water was now coming through this hole, not just dripping through but pouring through. so the first moment of dryness i siliconed that also and it seems to have done the trick. no water is getting in anymore.

hope this helps.

thanks tom