Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Interior

Subaru Impreza Forum

MY97 replacement of steering wheel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Dec 2008, 09:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

MY97 replacement of steering wheel

I wondered if anyone knew how to replace the crappy airbag steering wheel from my MY97, and to fit a jap nardi non-airbag wheel instead. I took mine off, but found there was a circular airbag/indicator connector which didn't match up to the older nardi wheel. Are adaptor kits available? Cheers!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2009, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: MY97 replacement of steering wheel

i beleive its an MOT failure if u take away the airbag you must re-fit the wheel with one with an airbag my friend
Old 03 Jun 2009, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I read somewhere that you can actually fit a steering wheel without air bag an still pass mot BUT there is a condition.
You can fit the other steering wheel without airbag as long as the air bag light does not stay on after the ignition is turned on i.e whilst the car is running! for this youll need something to disengage the signal or take the bulb out that shows the airbag light on the dash. Otherwise how do you get people fitting aftermarket steering wheels to there new cars an still passing mot??!?
Old 24 Nov 2010, 06:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i have a 99 impreza GT. the old shape, before the Bug Eye, What steering wheels can i fit on my Rack? can any model Subaru steering fit?
Old 12 Jan 2011, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I think your right about the air bag light. As long as the bulb isn't illuminated when car running then should pass mot. Changed the steering wheel on my old 106 and just took the bulb out, never had any problems
Old 13 Jan 2011, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

as already said, removing the airbag isn't a failure as long as there is no dash/warning light eluminated when the car is running. most new cars that have passenger airbags have a switch to unarm them so you can use rear facing child seats in the front.
you should be able to fit any standard subaru steering wheel in your car, it's only when you buy an after market wheel that you'll need to buy the correct 'boss' kit.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

mines just passed the mot two years in a row without and airbag wheel and the light was on.. get yourself onto ebay.get a boss kit that bolts onto the car.about£40 and you can bolt pretty much any type of wheel you want onto it
Old 24 Jan 2011, 06:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I'm thinking of replacing mine too so I'm researching on auto repair manual and I found this "The wheel will physically bolt up and the air-bag harness clip will fit into your USDM but you will have to get the dealer fix the impedence differences to get the airbag to function normally. Or you could drive w/ your airbag light on all the time." Im kind of confuse on the part about "fixing the impedance and why does the dealer have to do it". could anyone here elaborate on this one. thanks
Old 25 Jan 2011, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokes View Post
you should be able to fit any standard subaru steering wheel in your car, it's only when you buy an after market wheel that you'll need to buy the correct 'boss' kit.
Are you sure any model will fit with out extra bits, as I've been thinking of fitting a new age STI wheel to my classic as I like the style of them.