Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Interior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Another Exhaust question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2007, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Another Exhaust question

Hello everybopdy, I wanted to make my exhaust sound better and as it has PPP, I didnt want to change the backbox or keep replace the cat at every MOT, so I bought this off flea bay

Item number: 270110331050

I had this fitted last weekend while I was having a new set of Toyos put on her (Yes all four oouch)
The middle pipe went on really easy (well it was for me as I was watching )

But I couldnt help noticing how close it was to a bracket that looks like it protects the prop shaft , all of us new this might be a problem so for now his mate pulled the exhaust down while putting some of those rubber valve jobbys in the rubber exhaust hangers just to keep it down abit.
Well after a week of driving it, its starting to get up my T*ts every bump and in reverse.
Any ideas why this should be doing this, It would be a shame to go back to the old pipe because the engine feels soo much better and a little bit more noise when opened out.

Please help
Wayne
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2007, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

easy solve on this one bud,just remove the bracket from the saddle in the tunnel,i had the same prob with mine......2 12mm bolts and a 14 iirc.....job done.....

easy to do with the pipe in place too....
Old 29 Apr 2007, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Your a star mate I was wondering if that was a good option cos I dont think its needed in any way and you would of thought a 3" pipe wouldnt make that much difference. Is it because the down pipe hasent been change do you think?
Old 29 Apr 2007, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

its the actual angle of the pipe work,ever so slightly scew,but the joy of a 3" is well worth geting your hands dirty for a few mins

my down pipe is a scoobyworld sportcat,ever so slight angle on that one too...
Old 29 Apr 2007, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Ok chap I've just tried that but I think we mean two different things, the part I meant holds the prop shaft in place as I found out when I untightened it and almost had a lap full off prop shaft, Its just before the knuckle. I hope I dont have to back to a standard centre pipe
Old 29 Apr 2007, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Do you think it might not be off a bugeye
Old 29 Apr 2007, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

iirc bug n classics are pretty much the same bud....
Old 12 May 2007, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Ok guys couldnt stand the rattling anymore so today I had it removed But had A brand new 3" centre pipe and backbox Sounds amazing, but I still have the same problem of it vibrating against the propshaft housing as before so the chap who fitted it thinks it must be the rest of the pipe work, so he said he would warm it up and bend it so it fitted better. Anyone else got any ideas?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 09:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNE WRX View Post
Hello everybopdy, I wanted to make my exhaust sound better and as it has PPP, I didnt want to change the backbox or keep replace the cat at every MOT, so I bought this off flea bay

Item number: 270110331050

I had this fitted last weekend while I was having a new set of Toyos put on her (Yes all four oouch)
The middle pipe went on really easy (well it was for me as I was watching )

But I couldnt help noticing how close it was to a bracket that looks like it protects the prop shaft , all of us new this might be a problem so for now his mate pulled the exhaust down while putting some of those rubber valve jobbys in the rubber exhaust hangers just to keep it down abit.
Well after a week of driving it, its starting to get up my T*ts every bump and in reverse.
Any ideas why this should be doing this, It would be a shame to go back to the old pipe because the engine feels soo much better and a little bit more noise when opened out.

Please help
Wayne
Wayne, I had a 51 plate impreza and a 03 impreza with the same problem, even have the same problem with the Spec D, But for the 03 we changed the back box to a scooby sports box and this cured the problem, hope this helps you out.
Old 25 May 2008, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Sounds like a good thread to ask my question, sorry its not very difficult for you experts - Is the exhaust system on my original 2002 sti stainless? Thanks
Old 26 May 2008, 07:06 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomouth View Post
Is the exhaust system on my original 2002 sti stainless? Thanks
If you have a Prodrive performance pack upgrade on your STi, the exhaust system will be made of stainless stell.

Standard (factory fitted) STi exhaust systems are not made of stainless stell.

Old 27 May 2008, 08:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the reply. I have the prodrive big wing sills, different front spoiler with no spots. this was original equipment when bought new. Is this the Prodrive performmance pack. Thanks again, Dave
Old 27 May 2008, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomouth View Post
I have the prodrive big wing sills, different front spoiler with no spots. this was original equipment when bought new. Is this the Prodrive performmance pack. Thanks again, Dave

Hi, Dave.

Sounds like you have the 2002 special edition WRX STi "Prodrive" Style version Impreza.

Link: 1. 2002 STi Prodrive. http://www.iwoc.co.uk/my2002stiuk.html

Link: 2. This is the Prodrive performance pack upgrade. http://www.prodrive.com/products_level2.html?id=12&p=12

Old 27 May 2008, 11:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

you are right, pete. I've done 46000 miles in the six years and although it has always been serviced at main dealer, I am thinking of changing it before things go wrong. Besides I'm 56 now and it was a 50th birthday present to myself. Are subarus easy cars to sell privately. Thanks again
Dave
Old 27 May 2008, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
it was a 50th birthday present to myself.
Dave. Very nice.

Quote:
Are subarus easy cars to sell privately
Easy to sell. If you give it away at a very low price.

I'm afraid you might be in for a price shock. Even with a full main dealer service history. If you decide to sell you STi. I hope you get a very good price for it.