Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

2012 MOT - NEW EU REGULATIONS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2011, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

2012 MOT - NEW EU REGULATIONS

Hi, Guys

Does anybody know anything about the forthcoming revised / increased / stricter and more draconian new EU MOT regulations about to hit us all on 1 January 2012 ?

I am deeply concerned. I want to make my standard 2000 WRX quicker but it would seem that anything I do to it is likely to fall foul of the EU's new dictatorial 'trendy' "let's pretend to save the planet with all your taxes" ideology.

The following comes from website Stricter MOT test from 2012 - Association of Car Enthusiasts (ACE)

Implicationsfor modified vehicles

New areas specifically affecting modified cars include:

HID headlamps and bulb incompatibility,

Tinted windows

Wiring condition and, possibly of greater concern

Mudguards(wings), spray suppression devices.

Visual inspection

(a)Missing,loose or badly corroded

(b)Insufficient clearance to road wheel

(c) Not inaccordance with the requirements.

Engine performance:

(a) Control unit illegally modified.

(b) Illegal engine modifications.

Currently we do not have a list of illegal engine tuning parts in this country but the EC is looking at restrictions across the board, particularly as OEM are pressing against tuning of their ECU software, maintaining that it is their property, regardless of the vehicles sale.

Obviouslyany ban on tuning would negatively affect not only our hobby but also a vast range of aftermarket suppliers who still seem to be ignoring the possible consequences of any new legislation.

After liasingwith ETO (European Tuners Organisation) there is every possibility that any initial laws will be aimed at cars which use an 'Emissions' based tax system.

As the system is based also on economy it may be that wider wheels,increasing rolling resistance and other mods that affect weight or aerodynamics fall foul of the regulations

We need to raise awareness of this legislation, so please ask any supplier you speak with if they are aware of the issue and what action they are taking.

Personally, I think Britain desperately needs to get out of the EU. There are political parties out there that would do that - but they're none of Lib/Lab/Con. But that is another story.

Does anybody have inside information yet ? Because this could adversely affect all of us.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2011, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Re: 2012 MOT - NEW EU REGULATIONS

Sounds like an anti chav regulator. i'm all for it
Old 23 Jan 2011, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I agree, I cant see anything on there to worry me.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
Sounds like an anti chav regulator. i'm all for it
I agree.

Old 24 Jan 2011, 09:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

cool,that'll be 75% of this area's younglings removed
Old 24 Jan 2011, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Yes fine, BUT . . . . .

Trying desperately to keep the politics out of this, the EU is all for deciding whatever it likes for us to obey - stuff those who suffer the consequences.

The new MOT may sort out the illegal side of upgrading, but when the dust has settled, how will it effect the rest of us ? What if for example, it is deemed illegal to do a snorkel delete on an Impreza because that is not standard to the car as sold by Subaru ? What if putting wider wheels or 17 inch rims instead of standard 16's on it is no longer allowed and must be reversed - by law ? What if it becomes illegal to fit a 3 inch exhaust system on any car which wasn't supplied with one by the manufacturer ? And what if it is determined illegal by the EU to re-map or change the ECU because Subaru didn't sell it to you that way ?

I'm truly sorry about the politics in this, but this issue is politically driven. Because of the EU's global warming scam. The EU already controls us with 80% of our laws made in Brussels. What will we be able to do to our cars when the EU totally controls our every move ? Remember - in the EU, EVERYTHING is illegal unless it is expressly permitted. In British law, everything is permitted unless expressly prohibited. There is a difference !

Unless somebody can say categorically that none of the above will happen, I am deeply concerned.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

doesnt sound good to me! Id have a good few parts to remove and theres lots of guys with alot more done than me. Difference over in in northern ireland is that the mot stations are government run and if these laws come in they will hold them to the letter. We dont have any 'friendly' mot testers here. Think I might start stock piling standard parts such as cats etc. Will make a killing on ebay if the laws pass!! lol
Old 24 Jan 2011, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

need to register vehicle outside of EU.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
need to register vehicle outside of EU.
whats your mother inlaw's addy??
Old 24 Jan 2011, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I'm so sorry to keep on about it, guys. I know it gets boring but it seems to me this is something that needs thinking about before it hits us.

Because Britain (and Ireland) are IN the EU, there will be no escaping the new MOT rules - whatever they transpire to be.

I want to make my WRX quicker - not more tame, so to pretend to save the planet.

Surely somebody in this Forum is connected with MOT testing ? What's the latest information ?
Old 24 Jan 2011, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

dont worry dude keep modding all will be ok
Old 24 Jan 2011, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I think this is dediculious. It's a shame there isn't more info. Eg tinted windows is the same as driving a van with no back window so I don't see the problem with tinted windows.... I feel like I won't be able to mod my car because in a year it might be illegal ??
Old 25 Jan 2011, 03:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Heres a list of the mot here in Ireland NCT latest new laws I'am for some of them but some is just a money racket like! http://www.ncts.ie/images/NCT_DL.jpg as you mentioned above when the new laws come in for mot over, are they going to hook up and check the factory settings on the ecu and see if it had been mapped? sure Ecutek and Simtek wont like to hear this as will damage their sales Id imagine and put a lot of people out of business, but then again dont you buy the licence when you get your car mapped weather it ecutek or simtek map to allow them to change the settings on the ecu and it keeps the ecu manufacturer happy? I honestly think these guys that make up some of these mot laws have nothing else better to be doing with their time, very sad people out their and they only want to screw the people out their whats new
Old 25 Jan 2011, 01:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

at the end of the day MOT inspectors are all human and all operate on 1 currency i imagine most of the guys on here with mods to their scoobs have something in place for when mot time comes ie lack of catalysts etc
Old 25 Jan 2011, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

things like this make me larf, i can't see it happening. The gov would be shooting theresleves in the foot, modding is a 6billion a year industry, so at 20% tax the gov makes 1.2billion from it, they arn't gonna risk that.

they have already admited they have no idea how they will be able to implement it and its on hold indefinatly.

the visual stuff like HID's and mudflaps may come in, but there visual so if the tester feels there ok then your covered