Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

Today is a great day!!!! Tempted?....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2005, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Today is a great day!!!! Tempted?....

Now why didnt I have one of these sooner?!

It is awesome.. There is no other word that can describe it.. it is awesome.

Now I have a few questions, because I'll a little stupid and need some advice and help...

Quick question first (ish)
I have been told by the gent (who I'm getting to take a look over the car for me) that I might not need a ECU Re-map as I have a knock sensor installed (as stanadard apparently) so that if the fuel is to lean or rich or whatever, the computer will decide what needs doing and so on. Apparently I have an EC20 engine or something (all Japanise to me :wink: ) so I would like to hear your opinions on this. As like I have said, I have put down a little bit of power (dad more so) and I have heard no Pinking or Detting (thank god) when the "pedal is to the metal" so to speak.. Is this a good sign or not really?

First thing, the bad news...
When Im on a right hand turn or lock I get a knocking noise coming from my right hand wheel. I cant feel that the wheel is loose, or anything like that, but it also goes right up the steering wheel. It doesnt happen however, if you dont put any power down..
I have been advised that it might be a CV joint, a Bull joint or I think it could be something a little more serious, something like a steering column or something.. Im a little worried, especially when my Dad is doing 100mph down the link road..

Now the best bits, the good news 8)

I am very imprezed with this car, it is nothing other than amazing.. Performance is through the roof and oh my god its so comfortable Those sparko seats are great, although my Dad does seem to have a little problem getting to fit in them...
I have no stereo or speakers in the car at the moment and apparently I need a tracker fitted with my current insurance, which is also a little bit of a pain in my butt (not to mention my wallet) but at least I think I might feel a little better about it being outside so I know where its going and how fast etc.. Its kinda cool 8)
I have a few things I'd like to do asap to it, like the tracker, the stereo and also that HORRIBLE bonnet scoop! I have decided to put the standard on back on, with the vents that go with it and I'd also like to get the front fog lamp covers as well, I think this will transform the car into something so much nicer..

I think I have about 1000 of work so far to do to the car and thats not including the knocking noise, so I'm guessing no more than 1500 should cover the whole lot.

I'd love to know people opinions on the car and what I should be spending money on it for as well. Sorry for the long post, but theres just so much to talk about! 8)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2005, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Glad you like the car.

Are you saying the car has had a UK replacement engine? Full or short? do you still have the STI heads? Is the car running on the original STI ECU? It all starts to get a little technicall when you mix jap and UK together. The knock senser will hear det and retard your ignition but it can only retard the ignition so far after this the car will still det. You will not hear det on the road. If the car was on a RR you would hear it if you have it.

If you do not know what has been done to the car. I would get a knocklink this is a small device that lights up when the engine hears det.

Knocking from wheels? Do you have DCCD? if so roll it to the rear when driving slowly. It only has to be up one light to have knocking on the shafts when driving slow right lock or left lock or reversing.
Old 23 Apr 2005, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
I love the car, I dont know why I didnt get one sooner!!

Im unsure to be honest, what the car has had done, I have a reciept for a Full service + cam belt change for when it first came over into this country, I have a Cobra alarm system installed and I have another reciept a year or so later, with new brakes front and back (pads and disc's) along with some spark plugs as well. Thats all I have reciept wise..

I have read that underneath the passenger foot well there is a plate that tells me what type of ECU I will be running, is this something I should perhaps take a look at?
I understand that it will only knock it back so much (ha ha.. sorry, bad joke!) So what you are saying is that if the car goes on a rolling road and I hear the det, then I should have the ECU re-mapped? Because if so, then so be it.. I dont want a blown up scooby!! Its far to damn nice for that to be happening!!

I have a knocking from the front right wheel I believe. When its on a lock or turning with a little power going down (and I mean little! Im scared!!) I can feel the steering 'wobble' and I dont think its a nice sound, nor is it meant to be there! What is DCCD?
Is DCCD that thing on the dashboard that has 4 arrows getting bigger and then one at the top saying Lock? Is that what you mean? If so its down on the bottom one thats got no arrow on it at all. I dont hear the sound when the car is going faster (ie over 10mph or so) so is this not a problem?
Old 24 Apr 2005, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Yea thats the DCCD. You have a dial by the handbrake to adjust the front rear drive bias. When over 20 mph I click mine up to the first green if really wet 2nd green. Try lifting your handbrake untill the handbrake light comes on. If the handbrake light is on the DCCD will be compleatly rear bias and you should get no drive shaft lock up. This will eliminate the DCCD and we can look elsewhere for your problems.
Old 24 Apr 2005, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I think that was my only problem!! I have found out that I have an uprated front diff and so I think this is causing the problems. If I let the car roll forward and turn a full lock, I dont get the knocking, but if I am putting some power down then I get the problems..

What does the DCCD basically do? This is all very new to me! Thanks for the help bob.. Your a star!