Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

EBAY MOTORS ANNOUNCES END OF THE ROAD FOR CAR ADS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2005, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: 7 March 2005

Car owners are fed up with hours of hassle, heartache and haggling when selling their car according to a survey by www.eBayMotors.co.uk, the country’s leading online car marketplace.

Haggling over price is the major bone of contention for people selling a car through classified ads in local papers and shop windows, with over eight out of ten (82%) forced to haggle down and negotiate with buyers in order to reach a final, unsatisfactory, price.

Time Wasters
• Sellers waste valuable time dealing with visits from potential buyers who simply enjoy ‘kicking the tyres’
• 41% of people who received 10 or more inquiries about their vehicle reckoned over half of these potential buyers had no real interest in the vehicle
• Over four in ten sellers (41%) continue to be badgered with calls long after the car is sold
• With a viewing lasting up to 30 minutes, selling a car can mean the end of weekend leisure time
• 40% said they felt “uncomfortable” inviting strangers to view their car, explaining why half as many women (18%) as men (36%) sell their car through classifieds
Haggling Hassles
• 82% of private sellers are forced to accept less than the vehicle asking price
• Nearly a third of sellers (29%) are at an immediate disadvantage having done no research into their car’s value
• 32% believed they could have got more elsewhere

Clare Gilmartin, UK head of eBay Motors, commented: “What’s clear from the research is that people are struggling to find serious buyers and when they do, they’re often forced to haggle and drop the price of their car! The beauty of eBay Motors is that there’s no need for negotiation and you see buyers bidding up the price, with sellers often getting more than they expected.”

Listing a car on eBay Motors provides much more scope for sellers than placing an advert in a local paper. Classifieds give minimal space to describe a car, forcing the use of successive acronyms and trade jargon (such as e/w, r/c/l, e/d/m, fsh) and a single, tiny picture is the most you can expect. eBay Motors provides more than enough space to fully describe a vehicle, with as many interior and exterior pictures as you need. Listing a car on eBay costs as little as £6.

People listing their vehicle on eBay Motors can handle any enquiries conveniently by email rather than waiting by the ‘phone. Auction format listings can be set at three, five, seven or 10 days and when bidding ends sellers can simply look forward to collecting the money and handing over the car. You can build up a picture of potential buyers through the feedback system which allows you to see what other people have bought and sold – preventing any ‘tyre kickers’ wasting your time.

Gilmartin added; “With over two million monthly visitors to the eBay Motors site and a vehicle selling every couple of minutes, it’s clear we’re becoming a very attractive alternative for people determined to get a decent price for their vehicle in a quick, simple and hassle-free manner.”
-ends-
About eBay
eBay is The World’s Online Marketplace™. Founded in 1995, eBay created a powerful platform for the sale of goods and services by a passionate community of individuals and businesses. On any given day, there are millions of items across thousands of categories for sale on eBay. eBay enables trade on a local, national and international basis with customised sites in markets around the world. Through an array of services, such as its payment solution provider PayPal, eBay is enabling global e-commerce for an ever growing online community.

The number of eBay.co.uk's unique visitors reached 8.9m in January 2005* and eBay.co.uk's reach was 34% in January 2005* (reach is the % of all active internet users within that month that visited eBay.co.uk)
*Nielsen Net Ratings, January 2005

Issued on behalf of eBay Motors by Waterson Communications.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2005, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to mr freeze
:twisted: :twisted: about time i think , tooooo many dodgy dealers selling cars that
arnt what they say they are ( a uk22b ) i remember very well just for one .
Plus people advertising cars that have other peoples photo's in an example of this was a mates 22b from midlands scoobys ( which did make him laugh ) NOT :wink: :wink:
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2005, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Interesting news Gareth.... Hope you and the family are well btw.

Sold my Range Rover on e-bay, a guy travelled from the Big Smoke with the green folding, we did the deal and filled out the v5 etc.... we went out to the car to say good bye and burger me.... the bloody thing would not start!!!! (the Rover had never ever broken down or given any hint of problem during my ownership until then). He took it really well, he laughed and joked about it, and after the AA man diagnosed an ECU failure... he left me with the cash and the car... I fitted a new (re-mapped) ECU, also bought from an e-bay seller in South Wales... drove the car to Reading Railway station four day later.... we shook hands.. he gave me a bottle of Talisker Malt Whisky and thanked me!!!! I cought the train back to Cardiff... Bizzare or what!

Nobby.