Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

Shell V-Power vs BP Optimax?
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2010, 03:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd
Re: Shell V-Power vs BP Optimax?

good luck.
Old 07 Mar 2010, 03:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
Wont need a reset then as the newage ecu are learning.

Just put some decent fuel in, V Power.
What is learning? just want to check im right on it. cheers.
I did take the battery off so maybe its in learning mode?

Last edited by Bigbhp; 07 Mar 2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07 Mar 2010, 04:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Generally do about 2 tanks of v power to 1 tank of esso super,dont know why but if i run it on v power constantly it seems to drop off performance wise, dropping esso super in then going bk to v power seems to keep it sweet.

To be honest though mine runs sound on esso anyway.Only ever put them 2 in it unless forced otherwise.
Old 08 Mar 2010, 08:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

sounds more like your getting used to the power rather than it dropping power, only solution is mod it,,, lol
Old 08 Mar 2010, 05:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
sounds more like your getting used to the power rather than it dropping power, only solution is mod it,,, lol

Old 09 Mar 2010, 05:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I had the fuel issue a couple of weeks ago down in Honiton south Devon,most garages (jet,bp0 didnt actually do super unleaded tesco had it but it was only 97ron so i limped to exeter halfolds and bought two bottles of octane booster to last the rest of the holiday
Old 11 Mar 2010, 12:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

purge the shell with normal unleaded....you'll get no power loss and the fuel will last longer :-) .....tried it on my mates scooby....works a treat.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 07:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

so you are saying mix V Power with normal unleaded?

that will just give you normal super unleaded at 97ron.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 07:36 PM   #24 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Not necessarily 50/50 tho....the thing is the scooby still gets the power and the ecu has been remapped....its like alcohol...just because you might mix 40% proof with 20% proof doesn't mean that you'll end up with 20% proof alcohol .....technically you're just adding some 20% to the 40% ......not that I am saying go out and experiment with that idea...lol...or if you add a mixer to the 40% you're still drinking 40% proof alcohol...no matter how you look at it.....just takes a bit longer(in some cases) lol
Old 11 Mar 2010, 09:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Since owning my car (18 months now) I've always put (mainly) Shell 'V' power or Tesco Super unleaded - until Monday night. Went to both petrol stations and neither had any in. The Shell station was having a fuel delivery so thought I may as well go back Tuesday morning. Went back - no 'V' power. Had to fill it up with normal unleaded which I wasn't happy about. Car running ok and seems to be a bit quieter. Been driving it steady though. Will revert back to either of the above if they ever get it back in.

Unfortunately not got a BP station for 20 miles.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 09:36 PM   #26 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

dependant on the model of impreza, the ecu will learn and you WILL et more power if using a higher octane fuel mix.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 09:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Goes without saying the higher the flammable chemical content in petrol the bigger and more potent the bang....my point was that I was making was that you can purge the 2 octanes obviously not 50/50 and still have the same power as you would with just the high octane....If you go back to wayback when......unleaded first came out...I was putting unleaded in my fuel tank with a gallon of four star as the unleaded didn't have the same lubricating properties as four star,nor did it burn as well. I've spent 19 yrs driving as a legally qualified driver and some of that time has been spent on seeing fuel change and the effects it has on engines and some of that time has been spent pulling engines apart and rebuilding them. And this is my first experience with scoobies so I'm learning rapidly, I will learn even more when I get my own this yr...as I haven't been able to throw it open on the motorway(being as I was picking it up for my mate..who knows little about car purchases on the 2nd hand market)...And I can't wait...Anyway...scooby recommend v-power don't they, what would interest me is....are subaru sponsered by shell...this would explain why they say use v-power rather than a different high octane fuel supplier
Old 12 Mar 2010, 10:10 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by theevilone666 View Post
Goes without saying the higher the flammable chemical content in petrol the bigger and more potent the bang....my point was that I was making was that you can purge the 2 octanes obviously not 50/50 and still have the same power as you would with just the high octane....If you go back to wayback when......unleaded first came out...I was putting unleaded in my fuel tank with a gallon of four star as the unleaded didn't have the same lubricating properties as four star,nor did it burn as well. I've spent 19 yrs driving as a legally qualified driver and some of that time has been spent on seeing fuel change and the effects it has on engines and some of that time has been spent pulling engines apart and rebuilding them. And this is my first experience with scoobies so I'm learning rapidly, I will learn even more when I get my own this yr...as I haven't been able to throw it open on the motorway(being as I was picking it up for my mate..who knows little about car purchases on the 2nd hand market)...And I can't wait...Anyway...scooby recommend v-power don't they, what would interest me is....are subaru sponsered by shell...this would explain why they say use v-power rather than a different high octane fuel supplier

subaru always used to just say use 97 ron, not brands or anything like that.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 01:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

I will stick to Scottimax for mine.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 05:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd View Post
dependant on the model of impreza, the ecu will learn and you WILL et more power if using a higher octane fuel mix.
Iv gone back to bp ultimate and its running better again.. on my ppp certificate it says run on 97 so i`ll stick with that instead of learning it.. Gonna get a remap soon enough and then i can go back to V power and hopefully not have the same problem and get more power.

If not i will be modding it! lol

Last edited by Bigbhp; 12 Mar 2010 at 05:29 PM.
Closed Thread