Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

Potholes on roads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jan 2010, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Angry Potholes on roads

Getting a lot of potholes here after the snow and ice thawing, roads are a disgrace, friend of mine hit a crater of a one few days ago and took pics in all of it and went to the city council and they said they not in a position to pay out to the damage of his car, its €550 for the damage as he needs a new tyre and he only got 4 new potenzas re070s before christmas and as ye know they not cheap for one also the alloy is cracked and buckled beyond repair whats the case in the UK if this happens can my friend go any further about it solicitors letters to council or whatever any feedback be great as he disgusted over it Darren

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 16 Jan 2010 at 05:46 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jan 2010, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Potholes on roads

Not sure with the way the weather is but I know what you mean,
I even felt them in the run around and that floats over speed ramps so it shows how severe they are.
Old 16 Jan 2010, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

In the UK can you claim of the road council or what way does it work? we pay enough of tax mine here is €600 for the year on a 2litre engine a joke
Old 16 Jan 2010, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Sorry I am crap with this computer so can't do the link but try'

Potholes.co.uk - Home Page

shows you how to claim
Old 16 Jan 2010, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Excellent Dan sorted least he have a fair idea now a bit but say it will get a bit nasty as council saying they not paying up and all the tax we pay on the roads every year
Old 16 Jan 2010, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Hope he gets sorted
Old 16 Jan 2010, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

i was thinking of posting up a thread about pot hole conspiracy. But you've beaten me to it Darren, I've been mentioning it to friends and they've looked at me like i was mad. Definately a serious deteriation in road surface here in S.Wales. Does make me wonder why we pay road funds
Old 16 Jan 2010, 10:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

its down to all the frost/ice etc getting into already poorly maintained roads,
You know they wont have any money for repairs after having to buy loads of extra grit/salt.
Old 16 Jan 2010, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

feck! to think we live in a 21st century society that has to weigh up between holes or salt. its a bit bit like school, - fix the colapsing roof or have the boiler fixed........ and i'm not kidding!
Old 17 Jan 2010, 04:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
You know they wont have any money for repairs after having to buy loads of extra grit/salt.
Thats true hear that here and said cause of the budget cutback on funds for the roads they can only patch them up instead of resurfacing know a road engineer living here and originally from UK he used to work in lagan Lagan Group for years doing road projects here in Ireland and UK and said the amount of tonnes of tarmacandam thats been layed 2 years ago to now has dramatically reduced he just got layed off Christmas as they not laying harly any tarmacadam and no new road projects for a long while that most of the boom is in Dubai now and work is their but he has family here so doubt he would set up over

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 17 Jan 2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 04:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
feck! to think we live in a 21st century society that has to weigh up between holes or salt. its a bit bit like school, - fix the colapsing roof or have the boiler fixed........ and i'm not kidding!
Always the way isnt it
Old 17 Jan 2010, 01:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I've claimed for pothole and also a cracked windscreen from the council, the key is persistence " Ring them everyday, be a royal pain in the arse.
They resurfaced the road outside my house and the road was left covered in loose stones. They put signs up to drive at 5mph but I had a stone thrown up and caused a huge ship in the front screen. I caled them and told them that they were responsible as roads should never be left in this condition, the bottom line is they used a cheap surfacer and cheap contractor. My wife works in the utilities industry and I asked the council and their contractor ro meet me on the road and I would have a surveyor from her company. They declined and paid the dosh.
My wife damaged a tyre in a pot hole on the Blackfriers tunnel and we also claimed for that.
Old 17 Jan 2010, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I totally agree that the roads are a state, but it not your Councils fault.

The "road tax" the fuel duty goes into the governments central coffers and they dish it out how they see fit (whislt wearing blinkers it seems) eg it doesn't go back in to maintaining roads, bridges, streetlights, crash barriers, traffic lights etc etc a lot of it goes into schemes to keep the tree hugging vole ticklers happy.
The local highway authorities (usually your county council) have been massively under funded for over 30 years now and it's left the roads in an crappy state.

Although i really feel for anyone damaging their car going over a pot hole, surely people must realise that claiming off your local authority will only result in less not more work been done on the roads, as the local authorities budget will be used to pay claimants and escalating insurence costs instead of fixing the road.

A better (if you call the legal route better) way of going about things is to inform the local highway authority of the defect and if nothing is done, threaten to / or pursue the matter under Section 56, Highways Act, 1980. It doesn't help fix the car but at least the road will be fixed.

Last edited by gc8_wrx; 17 Jan 2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Removing section 56 extract
Old 17 Jan 2010, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

as much as I agree with you mate, I ain't being out of pocket for someone elses poor workmanship or lack of funding and the reality is none of us have got the time or the funds to start legal proceedings. The quick win is to shout at the local councils and get your bill paid.
I wish our money did go back in to our roads though, we could have some great rides !
Old 17 Jan 2010, 11:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Have to agree with Matt on that as an ordinary working class person might not be able to afford to go down the legal route and at the end of the day you just want the money to get your car fixed as quick and little or no argument about it we all pay road tax at the end of the day well apart from some people and thats their business but its a shame that some of the roads are a disgrace and lot more should be done to proper maintain them