Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

Tokyo New Year

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jan 2010, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Tokyo New Year

Yet another vid. This time New Year at one of Tokyo's biggest temples and my favourite Tokyo temple, Sensoji. Was hectic ad the queues to get in to the temple to pray were enormous. Followed by a run through Ropppongi, Tokyo's most notorious entertainment district.

Will be posting another of a different temple that we visited today later in the week.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jan 2010, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Re: Tokyo New Year

You'll certainly earn your place in Heaven by making films like that.
great film making Darren.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Another very cool video Wayne! Thanks for posting it mate ....

Old 03 Jan 2010, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Cheers Jeff, Cheers Pete.

Let me know when ya get bored, gonna be a few more coming.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Cheers Jeff

Old 03 Jan 2010, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

arh! sorry Wayne. it's your irish accent mate!

Last edited by brumbrum; 03 Jan 2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03 Jan 2010, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Great film and great choice of sound track Wayne

What is the music please?

Old 03 Jan 2010, 09:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

What a city Wayne would love to get to see Tokyo someday great vid
Old 04 Jan 2010, 02:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

The music is Spitafields by Red Snapper. Album is Making Bones.

Darren, if you ever get the chance take it. Nowhere else quite like Tokyo, youll love it.
Old 04 Mar 2010, 02:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

im coming to tokyo from the 21st of may until th 6th of june this year!!....

anything going down around that time? the sumo season ends on the day i arrive
and i had a butchers at the tokyo car show incase i was there whilst thats on, no luck

any car shows etc i wouldnt otherwise know about being a tourist? any great places to go to pic up unique car bits and bobs i could bring back? im staying in Asakusa right by the station.
ive got the bullet train and the usual touristy stuff sorted, but i like the stuff non-tourists do. Like when i went to new york and ended up at someones house party in harlem and a little jazz club no one would ever know about unless they lived there..
Old 04 Mar 2010, 05:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

[/quote]
get with the times old boy
vid wayne
Old 05 Mar 2010, 06:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyfield View Post

get with the times old boy
vid wayne[/quote]

Many a good tune played on an old fiddle... Now where did I leave my skiffle board?
Old 05 Mar 2010, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

[QUOTE=fiveskin;365750]im coming to tokyo from the 21st of may until th 6th of june this year!!..../QUOTE]

Cool. Only problem you might have is that rainy season may have started by then. If it is good weather then you will see temps well in to the mid 20's and maybe even high 20's. It doesn't start getting hot here until well into July when temps are well into the 30's (often high 30's) and humidity is unbearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveskin View Post
any car shows etc i wouldnt otherwise know about being a tourist? any great places to go to pic up unique car bits and bobs i could bring back? im staying in Asakusa right by the station.
Wouldn't worry too much about missing the Sumo. I've been once and that was 4 hours of my life I would happily take back. It's good to say you've been but I think your time would be better spent doing other things. Asakusa is awesome, though a little way outside of central Tokyo. You can see the temple in the vid above (hopefully they've finished the work on it), and It's my fave temple in Tokyo. You'll also get to see the Golden Turd on the Asahi building. It's worth a walk around but unless you particularly like Soba (buckwheat noodles) not a great place to eat. As for picking up unique car bits and bobs, not sure really. Tokyo isn't exactly the place to be for cars unless there is a show on, and I don't know of any big shows on at that time but I'll check on the net.. If you are going to travel a bit, you could always do a tour of the STi factory.

Quote:
ive got the bullet train and the usual touristy stuff sorted, but i like the stuff non-tourists do. Like when i went to new york and ended up at someones house party in harlem and a little jazz club no one would ever know about unless they lived there..
Have you got the JR travel pass for unlimited travel on JR trains? If so then that will open up a great many options for you and I can advise you better on what is worth seeing. Also depends on where your interests lie.

I would say that for me, Tokyo takes some beating and for me is the most exciting and vibrant city you'll ever visit. It goes 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and the sheer number of restaurants, bars, shops and entertainment options are overwhelming. Shinjuku alone is probably better served than the whole of London. Again if you want more specifics let me know and I'll be more than happy to give you a run down of what there is to see in Tokyo and what I reckon is most worth seeing.

Whatever happens Japan is an awesome place to visit and you're gonna love it.
Old 05 Mar 2010, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

cheers for that mate!

the golden turd! i know exactly what youre on about there!
in terms of car related stuff the only things ive discovered is the mugen shop and a spoon one.
also on google maps i discovered a BLITZ building. the logo was poking through from behind some buildings...yet when i went on satellite view it was a building site.
not even sure if it was the actual blitz place or even if it was just a factory of theirs or something.

i'll definately be getting the unlimited travel JR pass. i think you can pick them up from Narita.
as the sumo season is at its end when i arrive i might just pop down to that sumo village to see if any of them are floating about. from the photos theyre all just wandering about in their nappies.

one thing alot of people have mentioned is that its pretty cash-based in the city for foreigners as atm's and stores etc arent on the Cirrus network and only do Jap cards... is this true?
mainly because i'd have to go the travellers cheque route instead of credit card-ing everything.

this STI factory tour..... is that an actual tour? or did you mean just go and have a look. An actual tour of it would be 'effing superb!
Old 05 Mar 2010, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

If you have the JR pass then you have got to go to Kyoto (and Nara if you have time). It is a tourist mecca, but for a very, very good reason; there is simply no where else quite like it anywhere else. Along with Tokyo, it is the must see destination in Japan. That trip alone and your pass will have paid for itself. You could also use it to get down to see Mt. Fuji, go to Nikko and/or Kamakura. Also, if you have the time you could consider a trip to Hiroshima or Nagasaki (Nagasaki would be my personal preference as Kyushu is beauriful, but Hiroshima may be better for a short trip).

Quote:
one thing alot of people have mentioned is that its pretty cash-based in the city for foreigners as atm's and stores etc arent on the Cirrus network and only do Jap cards... is this true?
mainly because i'd have to go the travellers cheque route instead of credit card-ing everything.
Cards are accepted but not sure how widely they are accepted. The ATM's at banks and convenience stores accept all credit cards but as you say may not accept foreign issued cards. I know there are plenty of ATM's in Tokyo that will accept foreign issued cards (It's how I survived in my first couple of months), but I was careful to go to places that I knew would accept my card. Would check with your credit card company. You can use your card to pay for anything you want to buy shopping wise pretty much anywhere (which wasn't the case even 9 years ago when I first came here), but cash is still very much king in most of the more interesting places, bars and restaurants as they generally will not accept credit cards.

Quote:
this STI factory tour..... is that an actual tour? or did you mean just go and have a look. An actual tour of it would be 'effing superb!
I believe that there is an actual tour. I have read a thread (SIDC I think) about someone that did just that. The Impreza (and especially the STi) have a massive following in Japan. I'll do some digging and find out some info on it if i can. I believe the factory is in Gunma, so yet another use for your JR pass.