Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

the best shoes for a new age?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2009, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

the best shoes for a new age?

Good day all!!

its that time again, tyre time. But this time round is my first since getting new wheels, so i have a question for the boffins out there...

what is the best tyre, in personal opinions, for a newage 06> WRX ??

i was running with bridgestones which came brand new with the car on the standard 17's which werent bad at all.

i then upgraded to some 18x8 speedline turini's. as these were second hand they was already wearing continental sport contact 2... on my old car these were incredible, but on the impreza pretty damn sh1te in my opinion.
ok in the dry and summer months but awful since this rains set in.
had a few close shaves even in poodle driving!!

i've heard that toyo are what most go for and swear by, but have also heard from these forums that alot of new age owners dont agree with the classic owners on toyo's greatness.

any input and opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated whilst i run out my last few millimetres of life from the ones on there now!

oh and on a side note- im on 225/40/18 on the 18x8 toyo site says 235's fit too... so any input or advice on pros and cons of maybe a 235 instead of 225?

i know as much about tyres as gordon brown knows about running a country...

cheers all!
Old 23 Nov 2009, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Re: the best shoes for a new age?

I cannot recommend toyo R888's enough. They are really good sticky soft compound tyres that give amazing confidence and feel, and grip that is outstanding.! They look great too and have a semi slick groove and soft side walls for a comfortable ride.

However; they are about 140.00 each on 17's probably more for you!, and are soft so they may not last the same mileage as your average road tyres. From experience - they seemed fine in the wet on the road, but i'm not sure i'd trust them in the wet on a track.

you probably won't go wrong with toyo proxes T1R as a good all rounder on the road.
Bridgestone potenza RE070 are 'hardcore' with very stiff wall - i did not like them on the track they were to hardcore for my granny driving. they felt 'all or nothing' and took a lot of time to heat up and then cooled down really fast. i bet they break away without any warning.
I'm currently trying Hankook RS2 tyres. Hard walled with a little road noise. i got them to use on the road and on the track. I paid about £79.00 for my 17's they are about £99 each for 18's so they are a good price but again quite 'hard'. but i do really miss the Toyo R888's!

Andrew

Last edited by brumbrum; 23 Nov 2009 at 06:22 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2009, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

currently running toyo t1r on my bugeye and love them not to much road noise and plenty of grip have not used anything else because when i bought the car it had rubish on their so asked on here what to get and was recomended the toyo,s.

hope this helps.
Old 23 Nov 2009, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

comfy loafers have alwasy been my fav,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, pmsl sorry couldn;t resist
Old 23 Nov 2009, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

loafers on a newage!?! ........... i was thinking more like mocasins....... http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VBFG8QQSL.jpg
Old 23 Nov 2009, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
loafers on a newage!?! ........... i was thinking more like mocasins....... http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VBFG8QQSL.jpg
MMMM comfy,,,, pmsl
Old 23 Nov 2009, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

haha those mocasin's would suit the newest impreza's a treat.
which actually makes me wonder- are the new ones new-new age? or have they gained new age title with us being put down as old age?

i think i might go for the toyo proxies, those r888's look superb but the 140 and winter months seems iffy.

can anyone recommend the width? im thinking putting 235's on instead of 225's will cause more rubber on the road....which is surely an aquaplane causer?
but then its only 10mm so would it matter. hmmm..
actually.... the 225's are so much cheaper than the 235!!!

those bridgestones sound like the continental sport contact 2.. in the wet they just give without any warning. Amazing how they behave so differently on different cars.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 07:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

the new - newage are just 'Hatches' i.e hatch back,,, if that's what you're after?

as for tyre size, i have no idea sorry.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix

Just put some T1R's on mine .... like driving on jelly. I miss the 888's

But it is winter I suppose
Moderator Authorised Advertiser
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

If you hate the Continentals in the wet then the toyo R888's are not the way to go imo. Great in the dry I have no doubt but would not want to drive in the wet with them. Had potenza RE070's on my RA before current tyre and hated them. Can't get enough heat into them to grip well on the public road imo unless you really push them hard, and they were very twitchy in the wet. Got a lot of tyre squeal without having to push them to hard and they just didn't inspire confidence. Now have Dunlop Direzza Z1 star spec and they are the best tyre I have yet used on my Impreza's. Great grip in the dry and not too bad in the wet either. Never had a hairy moment with them yet. best part is they were a very good price.

Look good too imo.

Last edited by rikimaru; 24 Nov 2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 24 Nov 2009, 09:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to dynamix

I agree - they do look good.
Moderator Authorised Advertiser
Old 24 Nov 2009, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

They do look pretty tasty.
Ive seen these vredestein ultrac sessanta's on some time attack cars that look nifty but reckon theyre probably better for track.

i'd love r888's but jolly old england has more rainfall in the summer than the winter remember! If you lived in texas you could run them constant.

any tips on the width chaps? 8 inch wide with 225's at the mo..anyone running 235's on 8inch and notice any difference? I would imagine more grip but less response and a quicker 'give in' amount due to causing less roll?
Old 24 Nov 2009, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I run 225x45x17's on 7J rims and they're perfect. I've tried 235's and they rubbed at full tilt but then my wagon doesn't have the wider arches or track of the saloons.

I've tried some different tyres now since i last used Toyo T1R's last year. I've got Bridgstone RE050's on the back and they are not bad wet or dry and grip well even on muddy roads. I've got Michelin Pilot sports on the front due to the wet weather and the amount of understeer i normally get when pressing on in the slippery stuff but even though they are softer walled then my old toyo T1R's and absolutely hoppless in the dry i have to say their wet weather grip is phenominal. I've never had such a grippy tyre in the wet and I really have to push very hard to get any wheel slip/understeer. They'll stay on for the winter but i'm itching to have a go with Pirelli Pzero's and Vredestein's.

I've got Pzero Assimetrico's all round on the jag and they never fail to impress me in the wet or dry. They just keep gripping and gripping. The sort of speeds the jag carries through bends belies it's weight and size hence why i'm keen to try them on the wagon.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 12:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Now have Dunlop Direzza Z1 star spec
Can you buy these in UK Wayne? tried some sites a lot just US and Japan maybe I'am not trying hard enough it between these for me if I can get them or the Falken ZE912s

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 25 Nov 2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 07:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Can you buy these in UK Wayne?
Don't know Darren, but I sure hope so as they are a great tyre.

Though having said that, the Toyo's are way, way cheaper in the UK than here (136 quid a corner Vs 55 quid a corner at Camskill) so may try those at next tyre change.