Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

Wynns Engine Flush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2009, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Wynns Engine Flush

Engine Flush Any one use it find it great I use it at every oil change, change my oil every 4500k miles or 4-5months whatever comes first but this product keeps my mind at rest very good
Old 19 Nov 2009, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Re: Wynns Engine Flush

Used it in the past but personally wouldnt use in a turbo car
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Used it in the past but personally wouldnt use in a turbo car
Wuldnt you no says its safe for Turbo and Cat at back of thin Id like to think they done a test to make sure it is safe on them parts
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

If you change the oil ever 4500k miles or 4-5months whatever comes first. IMHO you don't need engine flush.

Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002pete View Post
If you change the oil ever 4500k miles or 4-5months whatever comes first. IMHO you don't need engine flush.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002pete View Post
Please correct me if i'm wrong.
I agree its not having time to get dirty enough to start leaving deposits
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

True just like to waste my money lol
Old 19 Nov 2009, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post

Old 20 Nov 2009, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Save the money and spend it on beer

Used to use it on my old Range rover and Land rovers.. it's just a detergent, but modern oils are so good at keeping the bits clean you dont really need an engine flush these days
Old 20 Nov 2009, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

If you're determined to flush your engine dump the old stuff while it's hot, including the oil in the filter. Run some very cheap 10W40 mineral oil (yep...the same stuff you use to run a new engine in with) making sure you refill the old oil filter with fresh mineral oil before you refit it and that will flush the whole system out nicely taking all the crap with it.

Just drive the car for 15-20mins making sure you use most of the rev range just to make sure the oil circulates under max pressure and then drop the oil. Before refitting your new oil filter fill it first with your favourite scooby oil and refill the enigne. You'll be amazed at what a good job it does and it won't harm your engine, turbo or anything else.

You should see the crap that comes out of the engine when you drop the mineral oil.

Flushing additives tend to wash the cylinder bores of oil and any carbon build up on the pistons and bores while it's doing it's thing. 2 things you don't want in a scoob engine is cylinder wash, and for scoobs suffering from a bit of piston slap as does happen on high mileage cars is the carbon deposits that cushion the piston slap being removed from the pistons and cylinder bores by the detergents in the flush. If you do that then it's going to get noisier and eventually fail!!

As has been said already though, if you change your oil regularly (every 5K) there is no need for flushing of any sort.
Old 20 Nov 2009, 11:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobieWRX View Post
If you're determined to flush your engine dump the old stuff while it's hot, including the oil in the filter. Run some very cheap 10W40 mineral oil (yep...the same stuff you use to run a new engine in with) making sure you refill the old oil filter with fresh mineral oil before you refit it and that will flush the whole system out nicely taking all the crap with it.

Just drive the car for 15-20mins making sure you use most of the rev range just to make sure the oil circulates under max pressure and then drop the oil. Before refitting your new oil filter fill it first with your favourite scooby oil and refill the enigne. You'll be amazed at what a good job it does and it won't harm your engine, turbo or anything else.

You should see the crap that comes out of the engine when you drop the mineral oil.

Flushing additives tend to wash the cylinder bores of oil and any carbon build up on the pistons and bores while it's doing it's thing. 2 things you don't want in a scoob engine is cylinder wash, and for scoobs suffering from a bit of piston slap as does happen on high mileage cars is the carbon deposits that cushion the piston slap being removed from the pistons and cylinder bores by the detergents in the flush. If you do that then it's going to get noisier and eventually fail!!

As has been said already though, if you change your oil regularly (every 5K) there is no need for flushing of any sort.
Interesting read will not be using it anymore now as said above save it for beers