Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

Chris Atkinson, will join the Subaru World Rally Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2004, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Chris Atkinson, will join the Subaru World Rally Team

Australia's brightest rally star, Chris Atkinson, will join the Subaru World Rally Team for the 2005 season.

The 25-year-old will contest 'the majority of the sixteen' events that make up the FIA world championship series, starting with Rally Sweden in February.

Atkinson was named as part of the Subaru squad simultaneously in Brisbane and Europe and will head to England to begin testing on December 30.

Alongside the Subaru team's other drivers, Solberg and Sarrazin, Atkinson will be looking to build on his impressive Group N and Super 1600 credentials and rise to the challenge of top-level rallying.

"There is no doubt that this is a dream come true," said Atkinson on the announcement.

"A lot of people have been working extremely hard to make this happen for a long time.

Atkinson is the first Australian to become a full-time WRC driver and the first to contest any campaign since Michael Guest in 2000 who did three events in the now defunct F2 class and three [China, San Remo and Australia] in a Hyundai Accent WRC car.

Atkinson is regarded by many as a 'natural' and the calm and level-headed Queenslander certainly turned plenty of heads when he won Group N and finished fifth outright in Telstra Rally Australia in West Australia last month.

It was that performance which sparked enormous interest from several international teams, but in the end Atkinson is pleased that he will be able to continue his successful relationship with Subaru.

"The WRC is the pinnacle of rallying and now I have my chance, I need to ensure I make the most of it," he said. "I am delighted that I can continue my career with Subaru and be a representative of the company both here and overseas.

"Special thanks must go to Nick Senior and his team at Subaru Australia who have a passion for this sport and who have taken a strong interest in my career."

Atkinson will be joined by his now regular co-driver West Australian Glenn Macneall, who replaced Atkinson's brother Ben last month.

Subaru team boss David Lapworth is delighted to welcome Atkinson on board and believes he now has the combination to help Subaru to another WRC title.

"With Chris, Petter and St‚phane I believe we've got the most dynamic and exciting driver line-up of any WRC team," said Lapworth.

"I've been most impressed with what Chris has achieved this year. I believe his performance in Australia, where he set fastest stage times and beat drivers with far more experience, is a strong indication of his potential. Now Chris has a great opportunity to show us what he can do.

http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...d=4&nid=103725
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2004, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248
Subaru team boss David Lapworth is delighted to welcome Atkinson on board and believes he now has the combination to help Subaru to another WRC title.

"With Chris, Petter and St‚phane I believe we've got the most dynamic and exciting driver line-up of any WRC team," said Lapworth.

I cant wait for the new season it's going to be brilliant.... bring it on :twisted: