Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

Opinions & Advice regarding minor accident

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Oct 2009, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Opinions & Advice regarding minor accident

As above would like to see what all your (valued) opinions are.

Was sat in the wrx at the traffic lights this morning on the way to work. Still dark and roads were a little damp. Heard a tyre screeching noise for a split second then - BANG - into the back of my car. Got out and took the reg number straight away. Driver said something like he'd been up/at work all night and was tired. That didn't help....

Got the cars off the road into a safe place. Amazingly the top left area where the number plate is recessed has some paint missing - looks like its nearly down to the actual bumper itself. There are a few slight scratches - which will hopefully polish out and that looks to be about it. Need to check it fully tomorrow in the daylight and will post some pics if I can.

Got to work and my boss said I should report it to the police - so I did. By the time I reported it a couple of hours later a mild pain began in the rear left hand side of my neck. Throughout the day this has grown down my left shoulder blade and felt like a pulled muscle etc. Been to local casualty and they said its mild whiplash. Basically it'll be more uncomfortable tomorrow and to take painkillers if necessary.

Now for your bit. I have not yet rang my insurance to tell them about this. If all that is wrong with the car is the paint then I can find somewhere locally to get that sorted. In relation to my neck - I don't want to appear to be claiming for something that on the scale of things is (hopefully) quite mild.

I've recently renewed my car insurance so all my details are saved on the comparison sights. I have just opened it and requested a quote as the details were before this mornings incident. I have then (rightly or wrongly) re-quoted stating that I've had a non fault accident to the value of 1000. The quote on the cheapest result raised by approx 15.00 (for the year). The compulsory excess jumped quite a bit. It worries me that on the news I heard car insurance is starting to rise again and with this mornings incident I'm going to be paying for it when renewing the Subaru's insurance.

Apologies for such a long post. All opinions and advice will be considered carefully.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2009, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Re: Opinions & Advice regarding minor accident

hi i have had 2 no fault claims in the last 2 years (starting to think my car was magnetised) the first time the car was a total loss the second it was repaired both times i had my excess paid by the other party and on the first occasion my wife received 2000 for mild whiplash.
my advice would be he hit you so he should pay for the repair and if you can get him for some compensation then do.
also my insurance renewal came down this year (until i bought a scooby) but i do have protected no claims
Old 23 Oct 2009, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Thanks for the reply dan50. I've no idea about compensation - first thought (and still is) is that the car's running ok!! . My priorities are all wrong me thinks.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 05:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

you should of rang your insurance company mate he went into the back of you his fault,why should you be out of pocket.whiplash claims payout around 1500 to 2000 for mild whiplash and they do all the work that is why
you have insurance
Old 24 Oct 2009, 05:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyfield View Post
you should of rang your insurance company mate he went into the back of you his fault,why should you be out of pocket.whiplash claims payout around 1500 to 2000 for mild whiplash and they do all the work that is why
you have insurance
100% agree.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 06:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

hi when we had both accidents rang the insurance company and they did all the work .
got paid out within 7 days of first accident and recieved 500 more than i paid for the car took about 6 months to get compensation and only needed a doctors report to confirm whiplash.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

You should always tell your insurance straight away. It might not look lots of damage but cant be sure so cover your self. Should not have to pay to fix it as not your falt. I was told it would not affect my premium when something smilar happend to me not long ago. Claim if you are in pain, you never know?
Old 24 Oct 2009, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

You've all raised some really good points. Thanks very much for your advice. I'll make the phonecall to the insurance and take it from there. My neck and shoulders aren't too bad this morning - which has got to be good.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Forgot to mention - I have put the offending registration number into the ASKMID website and it 'appears' that the offending vehicle is insured. Fingers crossed!!
Old 24 Oct 2009, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Good luck
Old 24 Oct 2009, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

good luck hope you and the car get well soon
Old 24 Oct 2009, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

if there is a hospital/doctor record of your injury you should make a claim if none of it was your fault. You will probably be offered physiotheropy sessions free of charge and will have to go for an indpendent medical check. this is what happened to me and i got 4.5k for whiplash earlier this year.

i made my whole car insurance claim and personal injury claims through indpendent companys, i did not use my own car insurance company
Old 24 Oct 2009, 04:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
if there is a hospital/doctor record of your injury you should make a claim if none of it was your fault. You will probably be offered physiotheropy sessions free of charge and will have to go for an indpendent medical check. this is what happened to me and i got 4.5k for whiplash earlier this year.

i made my whole car insurance claim and personal injury claims through indpendent companys, i did not use my own car insurance company
I didn't realise you could do that - that's another option for me. Very good advice from you all - thanks.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ten years leter i still feel the pain in my neck so get what you can!!!!!! whiplash is a nightmare
Old 24 Oct 2009, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

its all alearning process for you,should always take insurance details of other car nomatter how small the damage coz theyll pay for it {his insurance not yours coz he ran into the back of you} and dont be afraid they make it really easy for you your the victim..i had a loved to bits evo 3 got robbed on me this year ouside my house and then my girlfriend crashed my scooby into someone at roundabout so dealt with all that shit with insurance,if you have his insurance details and a doctors note you can still claim.i know this coz the woman my moth crashed into claimed for mild whiplash few days after crash..theyll come out look at car take signed written statment off you{your insurance lad...if you know a garage man that deals with insur you can spend the money elsewhere on car you know yourself hope this helps my scooby loving friend