Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

Petrol (Gas) prices set to rise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2004, 06:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Petrol (Gas) prices set to rise

ok, i dont want to start panicing buying here but GMTV this morning claim oil prices are set to raise and the potential of another protest is possible.

So then, what did you do when the protest was on last time?

Did you ever run out of petrol?? I know it madness around here people waiting for almost one hour to fill the car up.. When it run out people were asking where is there petrol and driving 30 miles to go and get it :shock:

Any other stories?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2004, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Well I think it could turn out like that over here also, gas prices keep going up and up and up! Our 93 octane around here is almost up to $2/gallon, which is very high for us. I can only imagine what the prices are like over there!!! :shock:

I know here in the US there was a major fuel shortage in the early or mid '70s (can't remember exactly) and people were issued stamps to fill up with gas, and you could only fill up your car on certain days of the week. Luckily I wasn't born yet to deal with that mess!
Old 10 May 2004, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I really hate hearing about the prices over there :shock: its madness how two countries can differ so much :shock:...

Looks as if our is set to raise soon :cry:
Old 10 May 2004, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Gareth I honestly don't know how you guys afford to drive your cars with how expensive petrol is over there. Do a lot of people over there drive small fuel efficient cars? I know the WRX and UK Impreza aren't gas guzzlers, but they still don't get the best gas mileage.

And I thought spending $25 was a lot to fill my car up! :shock: ops:
Old 10 May 2004, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

$25 = 14....(roughly)...then times 3 = 42....that's more like what we pay.....converting back....approx $75 !!!!!
Old 10 May 2004, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

OMG! I could not afford that!! :shock:

I usually fill up once every week so that would be about $300 per month on gas!!!

I feel really sorry about your prices, I wonder why petrol is so much more expensive in the UK??
Old 10 May 2004, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

GaryS, really wish you didnt illustrate that - i feel sick :x

Gears, yes alot of people are petrol concious over here and buy a car specifically for fuel consumption... Take the peogeot 306 and golf diesel's... these cars could run 700 miles (motorway) per a full tank. Where as the wrx goes for around 300ish? think thats correct

So sad state of affairs :shock:

This information has just come from
http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search_form_basic.asp

2.0 WRX AWD 4/5 Door Turbo costs 640 per 6000 miles
2.0 WRX STi AWD 4 Door costs 773 per 6000 miles

whereas the golf:
1.9 TDI PD (105 PS) 384 per 6000 miles
2.0 SDI (75 PS) 391per 6000 miles

:shock:
Old 10 May 2004, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Oh my goodness!!! That is just insane to me! If I lived over there I would be driving a Golf. Gareth do you drive your Golf for everyday driving? I could only drive my WRX as a weekend car! :cry:

I have a question, if the pound (euro) is very strong compared to the dollar (worth more), then why do things cost more in Europe? You would think that goods would cost less right? I did very poorly in Economics in school so this stuff always confuses me. :? :?:
Old 10 May 2004, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Gears impreza is the everyday car Golf went in a crash about two years ago :cry: was written off.... So nomore golf :cry: but i did like it
Old 10 May 2004, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

That is sad about the little Golf. :cry: Hopefully it is in car heaven now.

You all must try to stay out of the boost then don't ya?! Too much boost and you can just watch the fuel gauge get lower and lower. :wink:

I have a comparison for you guys, with the way my US WRX is geared I can accelerate at a normal pace up to about 3,000 rpms in each gear and not get positive boost, it's almost like driving a normally aspirated car. It's not fast but I get much better fuel economy when I stay out of the boost. How about your cars? Can you accelerate like that and not hit positive boost? Just curious. :wink:
Old 10 May 2004, 09:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

I do try when the missus is in the car.... thats stay out of boost :wink: but things seem to go differently when i'm on my own.... Not too sure what it is but something is constantly telling me..... "you need to empty this petrol tank as quick as you can" So the boost always seems to be operating :shock: ------- Maybe thats why i love the car so much!..... The boost is great