Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

TD or VF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2009, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Smile TD or VF

Hi there, i have been reading round the forum on all sorts when i cam across a really good thread from Sticky about VF IHI series turbos. Can anyone tell me the difference from a TD series turbo and a VF? and which would be suited to a very mildly tuned V4 STi with a 75 ECU. Thanks for your time. J
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2009, 03:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: TD or VF

What do you mean by very mildly tuned?

You've got a VF on there at the moment, not 100% sure which though. If you wanna know just have a look. Says on the turbo what you've got. V5 STi's have a VF 28 so V4' s may well have the same, tough could be a VF23. Tbh, if you really are just very mildly tuned then just stick with what you have. A turbo upgrade isn't really necessary unless you want to start pushing for big power gains. I find the VF 28 to be a very capable turbo (on a standard car i hasten to add) that spools up pretty quickly, and i personally feel it is a vast improvement over the TD05 (16) that was on my previous WRX.

However if a change of turbo is what you want then I personally would be inclined to go for a VF34 turbo over a TD05 on my STi. However a lot of people go for the TD05 18G or even 20G (though 20G is laggy by all accounts, whereas the 18G seems to be a decent compromise and isn't significantly laggier than the 16G) VF 34's seem to get great feedback, but then so do the larger TD05's. Nothing is ever simple when it comes to Imprezas.
Old 02 Mar 2009, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

tbh i think your first step is to get that ecu off and get it remapped, will be able to up the boost etc and get a nice improvment.

full decat, pannel filter fuel pump and possibly injectors and then mapped (either stand alone ecu or piggyback).

theres a classic tuning guide in the tech section, have a read
Old 12 Apr 2009, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for your help guy