Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

Hi there, A newbie here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2008, 04:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi there, A newbie here!

Hi folks, hope your all set for xmas.
Just want to introduce myself. I am currently a biker but considering an impreza to get my kicks, and to be a bit more practical. Have no idea what performance to expect. So could you give me some info as to top speed, 0-60 etc.
Thanks for your time.
Martyn.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2008, 05:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Hi there, A newbie here!

Hi Martyn and welcome to the site.

Where to start with spec. Cars go from around 220 - 320 Bhp in standard form depending on model. 0-60 times and top speeds also vary a lot.

Give us a bit of an idea what you are looking for and be more than happy to make suggestions (in fact, no doubt you'll get so many different suggestions on what is best you'll end up confused anyway) For example, what kind of performance are you looking for and what kind of budget are you working to? Are insurance costs an issue? etc.

I drive a JDM classic shape Version 5 STi RA. It has 280 Bhp standard and does 0-60 in around 4.5 seconds. Top speed is only 118 Mph (unrestricted) owing to Group N close ratio box though. One of the best Imprezas money can buy mind you.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

U.K and Japanese(JDM) models can also differ in insurance groups between 17 and 20.
17 will get you a UK WRX. My advice would be to get the highest spec one you can afford i.e an sti model. the prices on impreza's now are ridiculous compared to two or three years ago, it's definately a buyers market. Many people modify them, once started it's a bug that can't be stopped. i have a MY1999 UK 'classic' turbo which is 215bhp as standard but mine is now 290bhp at present with a thirst to do more.
in retrospect i wish i had bought an STI RA(as above) or an STI Type R as i do get 'STI envy', but then again there is a lot i know now which i didn't know then.... , and they were real expensive 4 or 5 years ago.

I believe there is a check list on this site somewhere which will come in handy if viewing any possible purchases.
Andrew
Old 24 Dec 2008, 07:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
My advice would be to get the highest spec one you can afford i.e an sti model.
About the best advice you could get right there.

As said insurance costs can vary quite a lot. Costliest will be a Japanese STi Type RA o Type R. f you can afford a later model (2000 onwards) then a UK spec STi would be a good buy.

Something else a lot of people seem not to factor in is running costs. Tyres, oil, brake pads etc. are obviously more expensive on any performance car so make sure you budget for that. When the car goes wrong they suddenly find they can't afford to repair it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
I believe there is a check list on this site somewhere which will come in handy if viewing any possible purchases.
Andrew
Found here:

Subaru Impreza - Buying Checklist

And look at as many as you can and pick a good 'un. It is worth taking your time as there a lot of dogs out there.

Last edited by rikimaru; 24 Dec 2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Hi Martyn.

Link: 1 JDM Classic Impreza Specs

Link: 2 UK New Age Impreza Specs

Old 24 Dec 2008, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

going from bike to caar then i'd go down the type RA route, top end is crap at 120mph, but 0-60 is 4.something. tweek it a bit more and away you go

or other option is to buy a scoob, have a 500bhp+ engine build anf then spank a bike in straight lines and corners,,,, lol but that takes a hell of alot of money
Old 24 Dec 2008, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

But when buying, especialy if its an RA you want make sure the car is what they say it is. cheack the codes under the bonnet on the passenger side. ive seen so many cars advertised wrong im sure you wont be disapointed. They are great cars. Good luck
Old 24 Dec 2008, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Have my STI V6 RA now awhile delighted with it. Dont have comforts like air con, electric windows, abs, and I have tiny outside mirriors you have to move the mirrior itself to adjust them and little sound deadening all to save weight but at end of the day if you want comfort buy a normal STI or WRX. This is a more raw and hardcore car and designed for track. It feels more faster than my friends 04 STI his standard to and mine feels more nimble to coming into corners and with the classic RA lighter to than his 04 STI. Mine has 280bhp same as Waynes above if I was coming from a bike Id go with an sti RA......................
Old 24 Dec 2008, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Couldnt cope with the low top end meself.
Old 24 Dec 2008, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Dave, you mean you break the speed limit?!? I'm shocked and appalled.

Fair point though. RA's are not much use on the highway or for racing supercars (unless you are on a B road). They use more fuel than a standard STi on a long run unless you keep the car off boost (under 60 Mp/h) and they are a lot noisier owing to the lack of serious sound deadening. However, in the twisties, B roads etc. not much out there is gonna get close to an RA. There are very quick when acceleration and handling is more important than top end grunt.

Here cars are restricted to 112 Mph and max speed anywhere is 80 Km/h (ouch! though a very few roads allow a whopping 100 Km/h) anyhow so top end is a non-issue for me.
Old 25 Dec 2008, 02:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Could always de-limit it and unrestrict it what would you think not that I do top end a lot but what would you say top end be then 140mph more??????
Old 25 Dec 2008, 02:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
They use more fuel than a standard STi on a long run unless you keep the car off boost (under 60 Mp/h) and they are a lot noisier owing to the lack of serious sound deadening. However, in the twisties, B roads etc. not much out there is gonna get close to an RA. There are very quick when acceleration and handling is more important than top end grunt.

Here cars are restricted to 112 Mph and max speed anywhere is 80 Km/h (ouch! though a very few roads allow a whopping 100 Km/h) anyhow so top end is a non-issue for me.
True true true had an new RS focus caught me on my top end one night I was not impressed but he was not so smart at the lights when he ate my dust the f**ker Iam thinking of getting it de-limited not to run top end all the time but nice to know you have it when a plonker comes along like that and waves at you smartly thinking he faster same with Golf gti's the mark 5s they the most cocky over here they think they faster than you and always nearly wanting a mess fed up of passing them...................................

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 25 Dec 2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 25 Dec 2008, 04:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Could always de-limit it and unrestrict it what would you think not that I do top end a lot but what would you say top end be then 140mph more??????
Top end unrestricted is 118 Mp/h mate. Most family cars can match/beat that.
Old 25 Dec 2008, 11:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Top end unrestricted is 118 Mp/h mate. Most family cars can match/beat that.
Can you not buy tem chips Wayne you know I think what they do is fool the ecu and brings the rev limiter in later cause mine hits off the clock (track off course)not on a public road and it hits off the clock at 6000rpm in 5th gear and it kicks out rev limiter kicks in and spoils it with that chip thing it would make rev limiter kick in a lot later to red line not that you would even bring it to redline but you know what I mean a friend has his de-limiter on his DC2 got mine rolling roaded 1 time completly standard done 134mph at 7200rpm that road speed not clock speed they say that you can knock 5mph off the clock speed you doing and thats your actual road speed and my friends DC2 and I was in the car his de-limited and he a hard driver on the poor car and it reved to 8900rpm to redline and then it kicked in the rev limiter Iam just saying if I could even get another 10mph out of my car de-limited it be worth it know you not going to use it all the time prob very rare but nice to know you have it........................... surely you think you get more than 118mph Really know the boxes are fierce close ratio but you would think more wouldnt you at top end.....................

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 25 Dec 2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 12:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

There easy enough to de-restrict Darren, don't need to do anything with the chip. Once de-restricted it will rev freely in all gears, the thing that restricts your top end is the fact that 5th gear is very short and that is as much as you can physically get out of it.

The ratios really are that close Darren. You'll never get more than 118Mp/h whatever you do wth that gear box, hence Dave's comment about being unhappy with the top end. one of reasons I'll be changing to a new age RA 6 speed as they are good for 140'ish in 6th: still not as good as a standard box but a lot better than the box we have and a lot more robust too.