Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

wrx sti ra dccd ??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Oct 2008, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question wrx sti ra dccd ??????

Hi to all,having been away from the scoobs for 12 months owing to my missus playing dodgems I now have a 1996 STI RA import.Any help on the Dccd i would appreciate even to the point of how it works and what does it do.Second question would be what when and why to use the water injection i understand that it goes into the intercooler but with my last car being a WRX, the new toys that i've got I need to learn how to appreciate them,
Thanks in advance Crossjoint
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2008, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: wrx sti ra dccd ??????

Hi Mate,

DCCD stands for 'Driver Controlled Centre Differential". Basically it allows you to change the power distribution between front and back. With the DCCD wheel rolled fully back the DCCD is off and will give you rear wheel bias (36/64 i think I'll check). As you start rolling the wheel forward it starts moving power to the front until when you get to "LOCK" you are at an equal 50/50 split.

There is some info kicking about which I'll try and dig out now.
Old 01 Nov 2008, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

There you go mate, have yourself a read.

Info. DCCD - Driver controlled center differential

These 2 links are also very helpful and go into a lot of detail;

http://www.type-ra.co.uk/vB/showthre...highlight=DCCD

http://www.type-ra.co.uk/vB/showthread.php?t=3814

Last edited by rikimaru; 01 Nov 2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01 Nov 2008, 03:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

GREAT read Wayne always ran mine in open diff as the senior mechanic here thats into sti's use say only ever move the control if you were in gravel or snow but say he didnt know much about it cause he heard them horrible noises when a customer didnt know much either about it some one move the dial forward more to lock when just starting off and bad bad sound must show him this, great understanding to it i would imagine with the DCCD could be strong enough to allow people to make the ODD mistake by taking off not in open mode and get that horrible sound it would not do damage for that odd time would it you think?????????

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 01 Nov 2008 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01 Nov 2008, 04:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

That noise you get with the diff at full lock is diff wind and, according to Subaru at least, its not doing any damage. Usually only get the noise when cornering at slow speeds at or near full lock. I have used full lock only a couple of times whilst driving and both times when having a play in snow, in normal conditions its just horrible; steering feels heavy and that noise is horrendous unless you are hammering it. I do sometimes use full lock when launching and then roll it back to fully open once I'm at speed, you shouldn't hear any noise when using full lock in a straight line. I do roll the diff forward to the 1st orange light if im in heavy rain or on icy roads and it does make a difference to the handling and the control of the car, but apart from that it is generally in fully open mode as i like the way the car handles at that setting, especially on slightly wet roads.
Old 01 Nov 2008, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossjoint View Post
Second question would be what when and why to use the water injection i understand that it goes into the intercooler

It dampens the top of the intercooler. The water will then evaporate, taking heat away from the intercooler and cooling the intake charge. It will also give you that little bit of extra horse power 1-3hp extra cause of the cooler air.......
Old 01 Nov 2008, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
That noise you get with the diff at full lock is diff wind and, according to Subaru at least, its not doing any damage. Usually only get the noise when cornering at slow speeds at or near full lock. I have used full lock only a couple of times whilst driving and both times when having a play in snow, in normal conditions its just horrible; steering feels heavy and that noise is horrendous unless you are hammering it. I do sometimes use full lock when launching and then roll it back to fully open once I'm at speed, you shouldn't hear any noise when using full lock in a straight line. I do roll the diff forward to the 1st orange light if im in heavy rain or on icy roads and it does make a difference to the handling and the control of the car, but apart from that it is generally in fully open mode as i like the way the car handles at that setting, especially on slightly wet roads.

I proberbly would not use the diff lock at all but played round with it earlier and the grip and feel for the power even second up the first orange is great but heard that diff wind before in an sti and its horrible be thinking your doing damage to diffs but as surbaru said it will not damage it................
Old 02 Nov 2008, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi and many thanks for the info,it's much appreciated just need to have a play with the settings Crossjoint