Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

WRC or Group A
View Poll Results: Group A or WRC
Group A 3 60.00%
WRC 1 20.00%
Not fussed 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2007, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

WRC or Group A

well guys, this has been buggin me for a while (yes i do need to get out more) and just wanted to see what everyone else thought on the subject.

is it me or have the latest crop of wrc cars taken the spirit and passion out of the sport and turned it into more of a formula 1 type of technical exercise.

it would seem that gone are the days when your average fan could buy the road going version of the car that they would see bombing through the stages on tv. as the group A regs required homologation of 5,000 units to be built, this was a possibility and what you saw on the stages was pretty much what you saw in the showroom. nowadays, any manufacturer can turn up with a wrc car so long as the car uses a transmission and engine found in another model that they produce (how many people can say that they have seen either a four wheel drive focus or C4???). bolt on a humungous rear spoiler and a semi-auto gearbox and away you go!! the cars don't go any quicker in a straight line and the way that they're engineered means that we don't get the sideways action that the avarage fan likes to see.

so the question is:- group A or WRC??
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Dec 2007, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Agree with ya mate though suppose if there were more manufacturers in wrc it`d be more interesting,find meself watching more p-wrc find that as interesting if not more at least theres a few evo`s kicking about aswell.
Old 02 Dec 2007, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

a lot of the manufacturers claim that the costs of developing a car and running a wrc programme are too high. never heard any complaints in the group A days though
Old 02 Dec 2007, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Think manufacturers underestimate the advertising value alone of wrc,i mean look at the ford and citroen your not telling me their success in wrc does general sales any harm when you see something winning all the time it makes you want something like it,and if theyve the technical knowhow for that youre not telling me they dont find things out develop ideas (to a sml extent)from the rally car to use on performance versions of their roadcars

Not saying youre ever gonna be able to buy a tarmac spec rallycar for the road but if a manufacturer does well in wrc i think generally inspires confidence in the brand regardless of the amount of genuine parts used (which aint many)

If impreza`s hadn`t have ever been in rallying would they have been as popular a roadcar.........me thinks not. That said they rallied legacy`s but i were never a fan of them (just to contradict meself)
Old 02 Dec 2007, 08:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

to be honest i think the wrc is the main reason why subaru have gone the hatchback route with the impreza. their two main competitors have been showin them the way with hatchbacks and i think they've decided to follow suit. shame for us though really
Old 02 Dec 2007, 11:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Think generally they wanted to sell more cars and to be more mainstream aswell as the poor rallying results youve gotta have a mainstream car that appeals to the average jo if you want to sell large quantities of them,where they went wrong like so many other ppl have said is they shouldnt have branded it an impreza-imprezas should have stayed saloons, the 2008 car should have been a different model for subaru all together
Old 02 Dec 2007, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Think generally they wanted to sell more cars and to be more mainstream aswell as the poor rallying results youve gotta have a mainstream car that appeals to the average jo if you want to sell large quantities of them,where they went wrong like so many other ppl have said is they shouldnt have branded it an impreza-imprezas should have stayed saloons, the 2008 car should have been a different model for subaru all together

Partially agree with you Dave, but that is speaking as someone in the market for a high performance car. For your average Mum, Dad and 1.2 kids, I'm sure they couldn't give 2 hoots either way wether the Impreza is a hatch or saloon and the hatch is selling far better here than the saloon ever did. You just don't see the non-STi saloons over here but the new hatches are popping up everywhere.

As for WRC, totally agree. I've not enjoyed rallying in a while really. You only really have 3 or 4 manufacturers capable of challenging for the title now, and i was gutted when mitsubishi pulled out. Might drive Imprezas, but I've always been a mitsu rally fan.
Old 03 Dec 2007, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

i felt a bit sorry for mitsubishi really. they tried like hell to make a group A car work in the wrc world only to be forced out by what are effectively prototypes. have a feelin that the wrc era will go the same way as the group B cars of the 80's