Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

ever been "Almost" ripped off?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2007, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ever been "Almost" ripped off?

We were away on holiday last week and the second we pulled into the caravan site, my engine let go. After a couple of days of head scratching, I rang the warranty company (took out an engine warranty when I got the finance - waste of money, more on that in a bit) and arranged an rac guy to come out and have a look at the car. I tried to explain the noise the car was making to him as follows:-

We had a steady drive down (70mph all the way), and when I started the car in the site car park, it was almost as though the timing belt had snapped or moved, as the knocking/banging noise it was making was akin to pistons hitting valves etc, and the engine was severely shaking back and forth, like it was really out of sync.

Anyway, RAC guy said he believed the belt had slipped, and wouldnt start it just in case. He arranged for the car to go to a garage in Poole (Hughes I think) and would get then to deal direct with the warranty company.

Anyway, they didnt ring me back on the tuesday, so wednesday I rang them to be told that the Crank Pulley wasn't fitted correctly, which had caused the Woodruff key to get damaged, and in turn damage the crank shaft (thats the good news). The bad news was that the warranty company had washed their hands of it, as they said it was incorrectly fitted parts. I was a bit annoyed to say the least, anyway I asked for an idea on prices to fix it and was told it was an engine out and full strip down, regrind the crank, and refit it all, and was looking at a minimum of 2500, but would likely be more than that as there was no other way to fix it.

I then rang Wimpy (off SIDC) and asked about a guy he knows that has done work for him. Wimpy rang back and said Steve was going to drive down to Poole, pick my car up and repair at his place in Oxford. To top that off, he would leave us his car to use to get us home (Subaru Legacy). Steve came down on Thursday, and picked the car up (at this point I forgot to say the garage who quoted the large amount said it would be over 3 days work). Steve left us at 3.30 on Thursday and rang us at 20 past 10 on Saturday morning to say the car was ready for collection on my way home. He had stripped all the belts off, ground the crank shaft in situ, and made a new woodruff key, then reset everything, including the timing and refit it all back together. He also adjusted my clutch as it wasnt riding right, put a new air con adjuster as mine had split, and a couple of other little things he noticed. He said it would of been ready friday but he had a couple of problems.

Cost? how would you feel at 1000 for all the work done? I would of been happy, but no, 500 all in, including him coming down and back up from Dorset.

Imagine if I hadnt rang Wimpy? I would of been around 2000-2500 out of pocket for the same thing.

If anyone needs a hero award, its Steve. He saved both our holiday, My car, and my sanity.

Ray
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2007, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
The bad news was that the warranty company had washed their hands of it, as they said it was incorrectly fitted parts.

Quote:

I then rang Wimpy (off SIDC) and asked about a guy he knows that has done work for him. Wimpy rang back and said Steve was going to drive down to Poole, pick my car up and repair at his place in Oxford.

Well done Wimpy.

Quote:

If anyone needs a hero award, its Steve. He saved both our holiday, My car, and my sanity.
Nice one Steve.

Old 14 Oct 2007, 04:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Nice one... Think you should give him a big plug on here.... Get some work going his way

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 14 Oct 2007, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to SilverStreak Send a message via Yahoo to SilverStreak
Thats what a call a top bloke. There's always someone out there willing to help others out, and without ripping them off.

Sounds like a job well done steve.

Scotty.

Old 14 Oct 2007, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Its the fact he drove 120 miles in a transporter, left his car for me to use, and drove another 120 miles back again, and fixed the car in a quarter the time the garage in poole quoted...top job
Old 17 Oct 2007, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Sounds like a guy that you would really want to have work done with

Congrats for finding someone that can be trusted
Old 19 Oct 2007, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Great story, if you had lost your faith in mankind he must have certainly restored it. He sounds like salt of the earth good guy to know.

Samrhys