Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

tips wanted for first time house buying!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2007, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

tips wanted for first time house buying!

should have done this many years ago, but myself and partner thought we'd leave it until the worst possible time in history, and are now ready to take the plunge.

any tips, tricks and past experiences would be really welcomed, such as what to look out for when viewing with a vendor. we are in cardiff which has been a property hot spot for some time now, so it aint going to be easy. there are thoughts of moving out of cardiff to a surrounding area, so if any south waliens who know of any nice towns or areas not too full of numptys (no offence gareth ) then please give your suggestions.

any useful websites would be good, but personal thoughts/experiences are always better.

regards,
Andrew.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2007, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

brum, my only tip is move up the valley im in merthyr theres a three bed detached, with garage and good garden opposite me for 160 --- just giving you an idea.. keri my missus travels to cardiff bay every day from the train station just opposie the house.

further north towards merthyr you go i think the price comes down... ater merthyr towards brecon the price goes back up... Good luck
Old 07 Jan 2007, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

www.derekbphillips.co.uk

or

www.weathersby.uk.com
Old 07 Jan 2007, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

as if by magic, my boy on a quad (crimbo) with that very 160k house in the background...
Attached Images
File Type: gif r2_c2.gif (89.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 07 Jan 2007, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

nice one m8. there's not much keeping me in cardiff, so maybe a quieter life is calling anyway. you cannot get any house in cardiff for under about 120/130k and they are usually in areas even too tough for me....lol. unfortunately we have to go for a 100% (ouch) mortgage also, either that or the scooby has to go, but you have to put your foot down at some things
Old 07 Jan 2007, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth View Post
as if by magic, my boy on a quad (crimbo) with that very 160k house in the background...
house is nice, but don't fancy my chances with that hoody in the corner of the pic

cheers gareth.

how's about this, for someone with big enough balls and a bit of know how.....
TROEDYRHIW HOUSE, TROEDYRHIW, MERTHYR TYDFIL PRICE : REDUCED TO 94,950

Old 07 Jan 2007, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

big balls - we were looking at that around 1 year ago... there must be something obscure with that (its only down the road) as developer would have snapped it by now... prob asking bit too much...

hooddie in the corner is a menace to society - that boy is out of contro! but hes mine so i love him

2.5 years old and already terrorising the neihgbours on the quad
Old 07 Jan 2007, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to sealion127
if your going for a 100% mortgage theres only a couple of companies that do them and the biggest name is northern rock.and at the momment you can get 500 cash back on a 5 year fixed rate

they will lend you up to 30% of the total house cost as an unsecured loan if you need a bit of help with costs and any work needed.

just remember that property is still going up all be it slowly at the minute and a value increase of say 5% on a house costing 150.000 is a lot more than a 5% increase on a house costing 100.000 ...so my advice is go to what you can comfortably manage as aposed to buying something cheaper ....invest now for the future.

hope this is a help to you
chris
Old 07 Jan 2007, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealion127 View Post
if your going for a 100% mortgage theres only a couple of companies that do them and the biggest name is northern rock.and at the momment you can get 500 cash back on a 5 year fixed rate

they will lend you up to 30% of the total house cost as an unsecured loan if you need a bit of help with costs and any work needed.

just remember that property is still going up all be it slowly at the minute and a value increase of say 5% on a house costing 150.000 is a lot more than a 5% increase on a house costing 100.000 ...so my advice is go to what you can comfortably manage as aposed to buying something cheaper ....invest now for the future.

hope this is a help to you
chris
some really good advice m8, have been looking at northern rock, they are about the best for us in many of the ways you've just mentioned.
have just been looking at prices in and around brigend which is not too far from cardiff where myself and partner sarah work, you can get a lot for your money there. i know this sounds silly but the main thing holding me in cardiff is my allotment ........ but its become a big hobby in the past 12 months and they are really hard to get hold of in the first place and the amount of work i've put into it............and i just don't want to let it go. you should see the faces pulled when i turn up in my fully decatted impreza
Old 07 Jan 2007, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to sealion127
just make sure you get a house with a garden and your sorted.

forgot to mention that most companies (including northern rock ) charge you for a " offering you " 100% mortgage which will more or less cancel out the 500 cash back.

the cheek of it

if you can get a 5% deposit you will get a better deal by far.
your doing the right thing by putting your money into bricks and mortar......you will never lose money on it.
Old 07 Jan 2007, 08:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

A good site for finding houses is www.rightmove.co.uk If you register you can also check the prices that houses sold for in the area you are looking.
Old 08 Jan 2007, 06:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
A good site for finding houses is www.rightmove.co.uk If you register you can also check the prices that houses sold for in the area you are looking.
cheers smurf, just spent the last hour on this website. i think it's going to prove itself as a useful tool. fantastic, thanks.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 01:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

A really good tip is,if your planning a morgage with a lender is to pump as much cash into your deposit as possible,and make sure you have not to much outstanding on any credit-cards/or any other credit for that matter.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 05:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via AIM to mental flux Send a message via Yahoo to mental flux
I hear you don't want many unused credit cards. Because, loan officers see those as new drapes and sofas.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 05:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Drapes&Grapes........