Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

eventful night last night

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jan 2017, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Angry eventful night last night

I wasn't expecting this, I was accelerating hard in 2nd gear and the gearbox exploded sounded like a grenade going off (I nearly s**t myself) it took out 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. 4th, 5th and reverse still worked.

Gearbox is still attached to the car with no debris on the road.

Eventual after 3 hours waiting it ended up on the back of flat bed truck.

Just ordered a replacement gearbox so it should be back on the road in 2 weeks. Cant wait already getting withdrawal symptoms.
Old 12 Jan 2017, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: eventful night last night

Sorry to hear this, but no warning noises or issues before ?
A lot of people use the gearbox to help braking, but the Imp boxes are so weak they can`t take it,
But when I killed my first it gave a few warning noises and then just stop letting me select 3rd, nothing too major.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post
Sorry to hear this, but no warning noises or issues before ?
A lot of people use the gearbox to help braking, but the Imp boxes are so weak they can`t take it,
But when I killed my first it gave a few warning noises and then just stop letting me select 3rd, nothing too major.
No warnings at all, it was quite and it selected gears smoothly.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Had the same on mine also. Only difference was I'd went to pull away in 1st and gently. When car was on tick over it would still be partially in gear trying to move forwards. Swapped box for better one and stripped out old lump to discover my 1st gear and 2nd had stripped a few teeth of the gears. Just glad I wasn't going at speed. As you say it was loud and nasty sounding. Hope you have better luck with new box.
Old 13 Jan 2017, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobylution View Post
Had the same on mine also. Only difference was I'd went to pull away in 1st and gently. When car was on tick over it would still be partially in gear trying to move forwards. Swapped box for better one and stripped out old lump to discover my 1st gear and 2nd had stripped a few teeth of the gears. Just glad I wasn't going at speed. As you say it was loud and nasty sounding. Hope you have better luck with new box.
Thanks. I think I was doing about 50mph when it blew and just as it did I had put it into 3rd which allowed me to slow down gradually using the brakes. When the car stopped that's when I found I could not select 1st or 2nd at all.
Old 31 Jan 2017, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hey guys looking for some help i have a 1993 jmd wrx import it was imported in 2000 and had a gamma immobiliser fitted, well by bottom end failed and the car has been sat for a few months i finaly got a bottom end and heads from a import sti ra forged bottom end it was a running engine in the last car with only 4000 miles from its rebuild, well i put it in to my car and realised my fuel pump not kickng in also no spark and normaly check engine light would light up when turning the key, we have removed the immobiliser put all wires back where there ment to be it did blow the main fuse in the fuse box under the bottom
What we have tryed so far is
Replaced fuel pump realays n fuses swapped ecu rechecked all wireing if anyone has any idea would be thankful oh its a w6 ecu in the car
Thanks chris
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2017, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

No fuel/spark after new engine fitted

Hey guys looking for some help i have a 1993 jmd wrx import it was imported in 2000 and had a gamma immobiliser fitted, well by bottom end failed and the car has been sat for a few months i finaly got a bottom end and heads from a import sti ra forged bottom end it was a running engine in the last car with only 4000 miles from its rebuild, well i put it in to my car and realised my fuel pump not kickng in also no spark and normaly check engine light would light up when turning the key, we have removed the immobiliser put all wires back where there ment to be it did blow the main fuse in the fuse box under the bottom
Replaced fuel pump realays n fuses swapped ecu rechecked all wireing if anyone has any idea would be thankful oh its a w6 ecu in the car
Thanks chris
Old 31 Jan 2017, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks chris