Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru-Impreza.org > General Chat - Anything about Anything

Subaru Impreza Forum

Need info on oil burning for 2015 impreza new subaru owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2015, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Need info on oil burning for 2015 impreza new subaru owner

I'm a first time Subaru owner and I'm kind of shocked over all the problems I've read about oil burning. I'm hoping I don't have to worry too much about my new car.

2015 Subaru Impreza automatic, Moon roof, nav,sirius

They tell me that the 1st oil chng s/b 3750 miles, and there after every 6000 miles. Should I be checking the oil all the time to see it its down a qt. I've read that some of the 2012's and 2013's were down a qt at 2000 miles. Is this true?

Also it would help to know if anyone with a 2015 like mine and has gone a few thousand miles and has noticed any problems.

The last thing is are there any tips that I could get on types of oil to use other than the recommended or slow down oil burning driving. For example I was told by a friend that highway burns less oil mile-wise than city.

Thanks

Rich
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2015, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Need info on oil burning for 2015 impreza new subaru owner

1 Litre per 1000 miles is considered acceptable use. Some cars use none, some use a bit. High oil usage (above acceptable levels) normally mean serious mechanical issues aka piston gone.

Mine gets oil changes every 5k or 12 months, oil very quickly looses its effectiveness, despite manufacturers saying 10 or 12k miles or more between changes

Level needs to be checked very regularly once a week at least, take 5 mins so not that much of a problem.

the 2.5 engine is known to be a bit of an issue, while not all are affected, some suffer headgasket or ring land failure.
Old 10 Apr 2015, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the response, but 1 liter per thousand miles is not acceptable. If I get that I'll ream the dealer a new one. The Corolla I had before this got the synthetic oil change every 10k and I never added oil.

Can anyone else chime in on this and let me know if I'm expecting too much. Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Apr 2015, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by rit7777 View Post
Thanks for the response, but 1 liter per thousand miles is not acceptable. If I get that I'll ream the dealer a new one. The Corolla I had before this got the synthetic oil change every 10k and I never added oil.

Can anyone else chime in on this and let me know if I'm expecting too much. Thanks

Doesn't mean it will use oil, as said some cars dont use any. But a subaru is a very different car to a carolla