Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

have you painted your arches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2010, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

have you painted your arches?

has any1 had to paint the rusty rear arches on there impreza? im looking at getting mine done and thought id ask you lot how much you paid so i can try and get a good price, i want a good job doing so proper body shop prices are what im looking for..

cheers dude !
Old 12 Dec 2010, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: have you painted your arches?

same here, will follow this. Have done a DIY job that looked pretty good but the rust has re-surfaced again. Somebody mentioned using acid etch primer rather than basic grey primer. If the weather was better would give it a go but spraying in these temps outside wouldn't be too good.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2010, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I've had mine done not so long ago at a body shop. I had both sides done, tho one was not all that bad. (just some chipped paint that had surface rust) I got charged 300 for both sides and he also sorted out the offside rear door that had a few deep scratches. I have not had time to get under there and give it a good check on the inside tho, i intend to sand it back myself treat it with rust preventer and waxoil it, i guess i'll need to wait till after winter to see how good a job he did and see how long it lasts. The only problem i have with it is that now i have new paint on the rear arches and 15yr old paint on the rest of the car, so its not the best match colour wise....
Old 17 Jan 2011, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Bit of a update. I had the car up on a ramp the other weekend and a little disapointed to see rust coming thru on the arches...I know with the snow n salt on the road it would be a bit of a test, but thought it would have lasted a bit longer. So on sat i had it up on stands n got the wheel of to have a good look. Turns out he did a pretty rubbish job, giving it all 'Sanding it all back n sorting the rust out' Looks more like it was just filled over and painted. So i managed to get one of those grinding wheels and ground out all inside the wheelarch returns, all the welds n joins where the two skins meet, treated it with rust treatment, (tho not used before so don't know if it works yet) filled, primed and painted, finally wax-oiling it. Hopefully i've caught it before it got too bad, but we'll see. I guess my advice is to only go to a bodyshop if the guy is a mate of yours. Or do all the prep yourself, just to make sure a thorough job is done, and just get the bodyshop to finish of with the topcoat of paint...
Old 17 Jan 2011, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Also good to keep popping in the bodyshop to check up, if you have time. The chap that is painting mine has agreed to me inspecting the car at every stage.