Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

MOT, front fog lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2010, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

MOT, front fog lights

I would like to know if a car had front fogs as standard and they have been removed would it fail its MOT as my previous MOT had an advisory sheet stating that NS front fog glass is cracked?

Whats happened is I tried to remove the front fogs so that I could drill some holes into the bumper for my fog covers, which are designed so the front fog lights can still be used, unfortunately the bolt heads came straight off leaving the threaded parts stuck in the holes, so now I cant fit the fog lights back on.

I've tried WD40 and different types of pliers mole grips and even tried to drill them out, but as I applied pressure when drilling them I found that the metal plate that the bolt goes into unclipped itself from the bumper, thing is I cant get behind the bumper as there is a plastic guard that goes all the way to the back of the engine and I cant see or find where the plastic guard is clipped to.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Oct 2010, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: MOT, front fog lights

if an item is not there it won't fail
Old 14 Oct 2010, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pilot View Post
if an item is not there it won't fail
excellent, thanks.
I still want to fit new fogs though.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

If you want some new fogs then try getting some new back plates because these rust like a bitch, the metal is very thin and I wouldn't muck about trying to drill and tap it.
A nice set of crystal light would look good.
Or buy a set of covers for the moment and screw them in.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
If you want some new fogs then try getting some new back plates because these rust like a bitch, the metal is very thin and I wouldn't muck about trying to drill and tap it.
A nice set of crystal light would look good.
Or buy a set of covers for the moment and screw them in.
Thanks for the advice I'll keep that in mind about the back plate.
I plan on getting a full crystal pack and fogs early next year and I already have the covers fitted, but I might replace them with the ones that are fitted to the P1 so that it goes with the new fog lights.

click here stickers, vinyls from scoobyparts
Old 15 Oct 2010, 07:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Just take the front bumper off, replace the plates at the back and new lights. Simples
Old 15 Oct 2010, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Took mine off and put the covers on, went straight through mot. Got sick of replacing cracked or chipped fog lights. I'm keeping hold of the crystal set I have though, genuine Subaru ones for when I fancy a change back
Old 15 Oct 2010, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-WRX-Import View Post
Just take the front bumper off, replace the plates at the back and new lights. Simples
Nothing has been simple on my car, all the nuts and bolts are too rusty. Had problems removing one of the side lights just to replace a bulb as the eletrical clip was caught on the inside of panel inside the hole.
I still need to replace one of the rear registration bulbs and looks like I may have to drill the screw out of that as well.
Removing the old spoiler was tricky as previous own had used some kind of sealant.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

TIP. when puttin gany new parts on with new bolts etc a slither of copper grease on the threads stopped them from going rusty and makes easy removal possible years later....

And as before the fogs will fail if fitted and cracked but remove them and leave a hole and yes they will pass. MOT rules are quite strange really. One example i find quite amusing is wipers fail MOT remedy is replace wipers many would assume, also to get a pass there and then you can remove the windscreen and wipers and they have to pass it as a windscreen isnt required for an mot. (obviously this only works on old cars where you string the windows in it doesnt work with bonded ones)

Last edited by JAutos; 15 Oct 2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAutos View Post
TIP. when puttin gany new parts on with new bolts etc a slither of copper grease on the threads stopped them from going rusty and makes easy removal possible years later....
I'll do that once I get rid of the broken bolts.

Forgot to mention that my back plates are fine, it was just the bolts that are rusted through, at least that plastic gaurd attached to my front bumper is actually working.