Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Crap impreza lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2010, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Crap impreza lights

Guys,

my the front lights on my bug are crap!!! Driving at night, I have to slow down to 60/65mph, getting overtaken by everybody, and people in focus st's trying to take the piss all the time.

The only time I can really enjoy the car is at night, but alot of the motorway is unlit, I cant see bends approaching till I'm already in it

I dont want to use full beam becuase I dont want to dazzle people coming the other way, but all i seem to see is there lights, I have turned the dial to 0 setting, but even then the beam doesnt go any where near far enough, the bug does have hid bulbs fitted, but what I thought was two bulbs in each light turned out to be only one, and what I thought was a light on the far side of the lights seems to be there only for show, its not a bulb.

Any suggestions as to waht I can do?

Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2010, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Crap impreza lights

My HIDS are mint, Ive had to turn the beam to no3 as they were dazzling other drivers,
Have you got proper HIDS or the look a likes?
Old 15 Sep 2010, 11:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

looking at ur other thread about sat nav cd`s u have the same lights,
I even run a cover over the front so Im really not sure why you think they arent good, Its like its daylight for me on standard 4200k bulbs,
Ive ordered some 6k to play with but just because im bored.

edited : are you sure your projector bulb is working thats the HID(D2S)
Old 15 Sep 2010, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

i run the phillips 55% brighter bulbs and are a massive improvement, many people go for the 60% brighter bulbs but cheaper inferior brands, which in effect dont even increase the light output and can damage lights if too high a power. the philllips ones are same power usage but better light increase than many other brands, unfortunatly they cost 25 for a apir but well worth the extra in my opinion
Old 15 Sep 2010, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAutos View Post
i run the phillips 55% brighter bulbs and are a massive improvement, many people go for the 60% brighter bulbs but cheaper inferior brands, which in effect dont even increase the light output and can damage lights if too high a power. the philllips ones are same power usage but better light increase than many other brands, unfortunatly they cost 25 for a apir but well worth the extra in my opinion
Arent they a halogen though ?
Old 15 Sep 2010, 01:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Yes, i though he was using HID pretend bulbs not full HID lights. The HID lights should be good, they are a way better light than the halogen ones. unless using the wrong output hid bulbs. 4000k are about right for road higher such as 6000k are more blue but less light output.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

this gives a good idea into the heat/colours but also what the OP should actually be getting as a output,
Like I mentioned above Ive got a set of 6k to play with, I prefer the Grey light to the yellow`d of 4200k and staying away from the blues 8k and 10k and purple of12k(Range rover colour).
Old 15 Sep 2010, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye_bob View Post

this gives a good idea into the heat/colours but also what the OP should actually be getting as a output,
Like I mentioned above Ive got a set of 6k to play with, I prefer the Grey light to the yellow`d of 4200k and staying away from the blues 8k and 10k and purple of12k(Range rover colour).
Yeah i would assume he is using a high one such as 8000k or above if his light is poor
Old 15 Sep 2010, 01:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

The full beam bulb isnt halogen, the other one is but i only get light about 5 metres in fornt of me, even the classic had much better light than that.

I could see bends approaching and adjust the way im driving, in this I cant see a bend until im a third of the way in, and thats driving at 70.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
The full beam bulb isnt halogen, the other one is but i only get light about 5 metres in fornt of me, even the classic had much better light than that.

I could see bends approaching and adjust the way im driving, in this I cant see a bend until im a third of the way in, and thats driving at 70.
Full beam HID and Dip Beam Halogen seems a strange setup, normally it both one or the other or Dip is HID.
If dip is halogen try the phillips bulbs the 55% brighter ones, i run these in tinted headlights and can see fine with no issues and they draw no extra current either so no risk of damage to wiring either. My lights are tinted a lot too not just a light tint
Old 15 Sep 2010, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Ya have the same, pricey enough be nice to get HIDs in mine doh
Old 15 Sep 2010, 02:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Quote:
Full beam HID and Dip Beam Halogen seems a strange setup, normally it both one or the other or Dip is HID.
If dip is halogen try the phillips bulbs the 55% brighter ones, i run these in tinted headlights and can see fine with no issues and they draw no extra current either so no risk of damage to wiring either. My lights are tinted a lot too not just a light tint

Sorry dipped is HID, the other one and the side light are normal bulbs, could it be the previous owner has fitted some cheap rubbish?
Old 15 Sep 2010, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Sorry dipped is HID, the other one and the side light are normal bulbs, could it be the previous owner has fitted some cheap rubbish?
Sounds like it to me.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Here we go, 6k bulb in the right 4200k in the left
Old 16 Sep 2010, 04:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

After a blast out I can confirm the 6k does give a crisper light and seems to light up a few meters more up the road,
Until we have fog I cant do the penetration test(oh mrs) but for how often we get thick fog I dont think it will be major issue.