Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

bigger Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2009, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

bigger Wheels

Help Please !!!!!

Have a 2001 bugeye, with 17" standard wheels...

If i put on 18" wheels will it alter my revs, also will i loose acceleration ?

Cheers.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2009, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: bigger Wheels

You can put the bigger wheels on, but it's going to affect the speedometer and you will be going faster than what your speedometer is showing. Will also affect your odometer. You can get round this by putting on lower profile tyres so that the overall diameter remains the same. This comes with it's own issues though, namely a harder ride and more danger of knackering a rim if you hit a pot hole etc.

Regarding acceleration, a larger wheel will result in slower acceleration and higher top speed if the engine has enough power. If not, at least the top speeds in each gear but the last will be higher. A smaller wheel will result in faster acceleration if tire spin doesn't become an issue, and top speed may be reduced if the car was properly geared for top speed before the wheel change. A bigger wheel is equivalent to a higher gear; you will go faster ultimately, but take more time accelerating. Think of the radius of the wheel & tyre as a lever arm.

Last edited by rikimaru; 08 Aug 2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08 Aug 2009, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

rikimaru

You are the man........

Thanks for the explanation......

Think i will stick with my 17"..... not bothered about top speed.. but love acceleration.

All the best mate.

Dave.
Old 08 Aug 2009, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

it defo makes a diffrence iv got 18"s on my turbo2000 and its slower
Old 12 Aug 2009, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Junked my standard rims and fitted 17's to mine - not as bad as i first thought.Bear in mind these cars weren't built for luxury, the ride quality has not suffered to much,and a little more wind noise when giving it plenty,but no real drama.Cant see me going for 18's for the reasons rikmaru has stated above.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via AIM to nobby248

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmerlin View Post
rikimaru

You are the man........

Thanks for the explanation......

Think i will stick with my 17"..... not bothered about top speed.. but love acceleration.

All the best mate.

Dave.
Have had 16 17 and 18 rims on various Impreza's over the years... the best compramise is 17... I found 18's affected torque and acceleration...and they cost more... but look good on the car...
Old 17 Aug 2009, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Got Prodrives WR 18's on mine, yes it is alot firmer ride and you seem to try and avoid bumps, but i feel the steering is more direct when pressing on, i found them to be brilliant at the Nurburgring. I've seen P1's with 17's and it just doesnt look right for my shape etc IMHO. My understanding is as the size of alloy increases then the profile is reduced hence harsher ride, ie mine are 225 35 18's.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

classic

16's - best handeling
17's - handeling ok, looks about right
18's - poor handeling, looks a bit big to me

new age

17's - best handling
18's - handeling ok, looks about right
19's - poor handeling, looks a bit big to me

thast a very basic guide, how the geoms setup can have a big difference though. as long as the tyres profile is adjusted correctly for the wheel then it shouldn't affect the speedo etc.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

classic

16's - best handeling but look crap (depends if weights a consideration aswell smaller the wheels lighter they can be from any manufacturer, motorsport wheels or not just remember though you wont fit big brakes behind small wheels worth considering even if choosing some styles of 17in wheel.)

17's - handeling ok, looks ok but not great

18's - Depends who ya chat to about handling its definately compromised however for me worth it for how well the size suits the car, looks cool as fcuk (Hi tidgy)

new age

17's - best handling but look tiny unless cars stupid low based on the bulk of later cars bodyshell-(remember 17`s are "generally" the cheapest size for buying tyres for aswell-maybe a consideration)

18's - handeling ok, Looks perfect, 18`s FTW (imo)on any scooby

19's - dont bother-no point too big.

that`s UK daves guide

Last edited by uk dave; 18 Aug 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
classic

16's - best handling but look crap (
Hoi, ya cheeky badger!

I think the more discerning amongst us might take issue with that.

P.s, To the op: 18's are the way to go on a bug imo and 17's on a classic, I'm sticking with 16's only because handling is v important to me in my car.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
jd
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Send a message via MSN to jd

and remember that on the newage Prodrive recommend 18" when adding the PPP pack to cope with the extra power.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 04:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Can someone enlighten me why 18's give poor handling on a classic?
Old 18 Aug 2009, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Hoi, ya cheeky badger!

I think the more discerning amongst us might take issue with that.

P.s, To the op: 18's are the way to go on a bug imo and 17's on a classic, I'm sticking with 16's only because handling is v important to me in my car.
Yer but how much difference does it make on the road wayne(in real world terms)looks are as important to me as the handling however neither over rules the other, if i found my car to be really poor handling would have taken the 18`s off,wouldnt put up with them purely for the looks alone.

Sorry wayne but your car with 18in rims would look really(imo)

Too much roll in the wall on donut tyres for me with 16`s lets face it 16`s are a compromise in fact to an extent most stuff is thats std on most cars,at one end of the scale theres the serious enthusiast who wants a track car for the road(possibly track aswell)through to a family guy who just wants a powerful family saloon-theres many variations along the way and mixtures of both but all cars somewhere are a compromise just so they appeal to everyone when theyre looking at them new-you get hold of them then an mod them to your own driving style/needs/expectations of your car.

Std scoobys for me dont handle/brake or look as cool as they could have done std.
fair enough mines a uk turbo not an sti but other than the speed were pretty dissapointed with the rest when i first bought mine,and knew at a minimum wheels brakes and suspension would need changing.

At some point in time will loose the 4pots, brakes are alot better with the mintex pads aswell as for others using ds2500`s but are still poor to me.

To anyone with a scooby without 4pots i wouldnt waste ya money on scooby ones coz theyre not all that,put goodridge hoses on an made hardly any difference.

Brakes dampers and rear antiroll bar will be the next things(at some point )l change,got koni top adjustable inserts/springs with 40mm drop but the dampers were poor fitting in the first place-i never intending em being on this long-will be alot better with a complete strut, though is still 100% better than std.

Last edited by uk dave; 18 Aug 2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 18 Aug 2009, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicscoobP1 View Post
Can someone enlighten me why 18's give poor handling on a classic?
Thinner wall makes em more twitchy on bumps as they dont absorb bumps in the road so well, in my opinion though during hard driving i prefer the thinner wall.

Car will feel slightly harder riding and if running 18`s i wouldnt recommend running lightweight wheels as for the roads(in the condition theyre in at the moment)with potholes an low grates wouldnt last long.

Remember a mate of mine comin up town in a evo5 with superleggeras on ages ago now with a bent rim after a relatively mild pothole.

Dont get me wrong ive hit some meself an thought fcuk me thats gotta have knackered my alloy/s but these pff7 replicas are really strong as wheels go.

Had some team dynamics on before these an cracked all 4 wheels(koni`s are set pretty hard)
Old 19 Aug 2009, 02:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Sorry wayne but your car with 18in rims would look really(imo)
Agree 100% with that. There is a V6 Ltd STi RA i see around with some beautiful 18's on it, slightly lowered and it looks awesome. I do sometimes think about it, but when the car comes to the UK will be a weekend car/track toy so will be leaving engine mainly standard and spending my money on brakes and suspension so leaving the 16's where they are seems to be the smartest thing to do.

Quote:
Std scoobys for me dont handle/brake or look as cool as they could have done std. fair enough mines a uk turbo not an sti but other than the speed were pretty dissapointed with the rest when i first bought mine,and knew at a minimum wheels brakes and suspension would need changing.
Agree with most if that. Out of the box the Impreza's certainly don't brake or handle anywhere near as well as their Mistsubishi equivelants (excluding the RA's, the 2 pots at the back of the STi RA do make a difference as does the weight saving and the DCCD), but then the EVO had Brembos as standard and all the electronic gubbins to give it that phenomenal poise and stopping power. That being said, with a couple of relatively cheap mods (As Dave says, ARB's, drop links and maybe even lowering springs) then you have a car that is the equal (in STi form) of an EVO for a lot less money imo. Brakes on the STI's are not as bad as everybody makes out. They have less servo assistance than most other cars so require more effort from the driver to get the most out of them. Mine has no ABS so requires even more effort, but as said with a little effort, decent pads, brake lines and fluid the brakes are absolutely fine.

Regarding the styling, i do think they got it right with the V5 and 6, in the right colour. Only thing that could/should have been better are the wheels imo. Those wheels had been on since the version 3 and should have ben replaced.