Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Just fitted DeCat Non Resonated Centre Pipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2004, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Just fitted DeCat Non Resonated Centre Pipe

OMG - how good does she sound now

I'm sure some of you have already done this modification but bl00dy eck the sound now is phenomenal. I was runnig a Scoobysport DeCat D/Pipe and Hayward & Scott Scoobysport Back Box and a Prodrive Decat Centre Pipe....car sounded good but not overly loud. However I have just had a Hayward & Scott Non Resonated Centre Section fitted at the weekend and all I can say is

Anyone wanting to LOUD up the Scoobs should do this - no real difference in performance cos both sections are Decat but the noise is just bliss. I am lucky too cos my better half likes the sound too and she is not one for loud Zorsts so I get to leave it on the car
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2004, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Send a message via MSN to K70NYK
Loud exhausts are for winners!

I'm loving my decat, its just soooo loud.

Enjoy
Old 15 Jun 2004, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Nice one Nelson

Full de-cat is deffo on the cards for me now, now i've solved the problem regarding the MOT.

How much was the center section Nelson?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to stevehulluk
nelson how much am i looking at spending to get it sound like yours? :?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

OK guys well I bought the DeCat non resonated centre from www.scoobyworld.co.uk for 90ish (quality piece of kit) but this is the only pipe I bought new.

Hayward & Scott (original) Scoobysport Decat Down Pipe (2nd hand for 120) and H&S (Original) Back Box was 140

So in total I spent 350 (its worth more like 600). The best thing is to keep an eye out on Ebay and SN and SIDC etc for 2nd hand parts. Remember that all the Stainless Steel stuff is built to last 25 years :shock: so you don't have to worry about it failing

If anyone knows how to post up a sound file then I will do so of the Scoob....I just cant get enough of it....no more stereo for me
Old 15 Jun 2004, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

i'll have the stereo then pmsl. me need nelson as my own personal car modifier, if me wins lottery your hired
Old 15 Jun 2004, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

LOL @ Stevehulluk - yea right mate - I only know what I do from reading up on things and downloading loads of clips of Scoobs with different exhausts. The meets definitely help though - I actually decided on my current setup having heard a full Scoobysport system being used at CC at a track day. I just walked up to the owner and asked what he was running. He does however have the new Scoobysport System (manufactured by Janspeed) whereas I have the *original* Scoobysport system as manufactured by hayward & Scott. For me the H&S sounds much better If you are seriously thinking about the same sort of exhaust setup to what I have mate - then just say and I'll take some footage on the Camcorder for you, burn it to a cd and get it to you
Old 15 Jun 2004, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

that would be great m8 so i could see it. bloody holiday coming up! just want to have a great time with the wife & kids then its play time with the car. its crazy you know, don't know about you lot but didn't you find that you loved the look of the impreza before you got one, then when you do finally get one you want it to be different from everyone else's STRANGE eh? lol jesus made me buy it officer
Old 15 Jun 2004, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I apologize for this question b/c it will probably seem stupid to all of you but I'm new to all of this so I'm trying to get an understanding of things lol...please explain to me what the de cat exhaust is and roughly how much it costs..thanks guys and i apologize for my ignorance haha
Old 15 Jun 2004, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Subie - not a silly question at all

First off if you hear the term Decat it basically refers to removing the Catalytic Convertor from your car. Now this is something that will generally fail at MOT time, you have been warned

Anyway back to the Decat...on the Classic Impreza there are generally 3 parts of the Exhaust - The Down Pipe (that has a large Catalytic convertor in it) a centre section (which has a smaller Cat in it) and the Back Box. Now the standard Impreza exhaust is fairly quiet due to it being filled with the Cats and also having a resonator in place. To DeCat a car you simply remove the current pipe and replace with an uprated one that has no Cat. This gives much more noise and better performance. The Down Pipe DeCat gives the most gains whilst the Centre DeCat also helps. The standard Catalytic convertors fitted to most cars do restrict airflow and thus sap the car of performance. On a MY99/00 the standard BHP is about 217 but a Full Decat will release about another 20-25BHP taking your Impreza up to about 235-240BHP

A Decat Downpipe will cost you about 150-170 new or anything from 50-140 2nd hand. The Decat Centre pipe can be bought new for 60-90 (this is for non-resonated) A resonated centre section will cost you more like 100 - 140

I hope this helps ?
Old 15 Jun 2004, 08:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Scooby Fanatic

i can pop down a video your car from behind then host the vid if you want :wink:

as i now have basicaly unlimited web space :twisted:
Old 16 Jun 2004, 07:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

I see a plan forming here

Well we could do mine and then do Poxys cos I am running the same sort of setup as his Scoob but he has a Magnex Back Box (which also sounds bloody lovely too)
Old 16 Jun 2004, 08:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

thats strange that MAGNEX? i had a magnex back box fitted to my old saxo 2002 vts and to be honest it sounded shite. never heard a magnex on a scooby though, that is what made me say i'd never buy a magnex again
Old 16 Jun 2004, 10:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Apparently the oval tail pipe Prodrive back box you get with WRX PPP's is a rebadged Magnex box...... I was reliably informed by a Dealer friend

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 16 Jun 2004, 10:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Well I can honestly say that the Magnex sounds the dogs too - it gives a very deep sound to the Burble you get naturally and sounds the business when on full chat as I heard again at the weekend when poxy was out on the track dodging spinning Golfs and Fords