Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

awful brakes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2009, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

awful brakes!

Hi Guys,

I'm starting to get fed up with how poor the brakes are on my car.

Car is 06 STi.
I always thought the brakes were poor, so I replaced the front discs with grooved and dimpled EBC ones.
I also replaced the front pads with EBC yellowstuff pads.
Back brakes are standard and are using original pads (car has now done 28k miles).
Front brakes were done about 6k miles ago.

The above seemed to make little difference to the braking performance, which still seems 'soft'.

I guess my question is: What can I do to improve braking performance without breaking the bank ?

Thanks!

David
Old 04 Feb 2009, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: awful brakes!

try some Braided hoses and uprate the fluid,worked well on mine
Old 04 Feb 2009, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig View Post
Car is 06 STi. I always thought the brakes were poor, The above seemed to make little difference to the braking performance, which still seems 'soft'.
I heard this with a fellas car I knew his was a 04 sti yours has the the brembo brakes dont it you would think they be better for such a powerfull car I have a sti v6 ra sure 4pot brakes up front 2pot rears standard brakes all I done was change the pads to the Ferodo DS2500 pad and renewed fluid to Ferodo dot4 but they do feel to bite better but still does feel a bit soft must be a Subaru thing you would think they be better that does sound good up above braided hose lines and maybe dot5 fluid
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Thanks for the replies.
I think I'll go with the recommendations..

Gonna get the forodo dot5.1 fluid, braided hose lines, and probably new pads for the rear.

Wheres the best place online to get the fluid and hoses. I'm not sure which hoses to go for on my car..
Old 05 Feb 2009, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Hate EBC discs and pads,had them on my 106gti an if im honest felt better with std`s on,tried tarox g88 discs since stds on the scooby and tarox fast road pads-verdict-useless,gone back to std discs with mintex 1155 pads-love em.

Ive already ages ago fitted braided hoses though the difference in feel is still minimal,on classics ya can get a bracket to reduce the effects of bulkhead flex(just a bracket with a bolt that you adjust up to the end of the master cylinder to support it)not sure on the road the difference these actually make as im not sure we`re talking that much movement.

Recommend though either As mentioned earlier Ferodo DS2500 or mintex 1155 pads,wouldnt ever buy EBC again,other than the low dusting cant think of a reason for buying,the mintex are heavy dusting and do squeal a bit from cold but as brakes really like them.
Old 05 Feb 2009, 01:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Found these hoses on ebay, would you guys recommend these ones ?

GOODRIDGE BRAIDED BRAKE HOSES SUBARU IMPREZA 93-07 on eBay, also Brake Components, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 10-Feb-09 23:10:53 GMT)
Old 05 Feb 2009, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Alyn at Brakes - AS Performance Is your man,will sort you out,(Stockcar on here)

Bought my hoses from demon tweeks(before i knew about alyn)

Recommend contacting him (he`s really helpful)
Old 06 Feb 2009, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Also worth remembering that Impreza brakes are under servoed (you know what i mean). I have the standard 4 pot Subaru brakes on mine, and whilst they aren't up to the Brembos on an Evo, if i stamp on them they have more than enough stopping power to pull my car up sharpish. As yours already has the Brembos may be that they just dont feel as powerful as you'd expect because of the lack of feedback from the servo you are perhaps used to. you need to put a little more work into your braking to get the stopping power you expect.

However upgrading to braided hoses, 5.1 fluid etc. as suggested will still work wonders for your braking performance.
Old 07 Feb 2009, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Also worth remembering that Impreza brakes are under servoed (you know what i mean). I have the standard 4 pot Subaru brakes on mine, and whilst they aren't up to the Brembos on an Evo,
True alright was looking at an evo 5 last night and even the evos discs look bigger than mine and that was an evo 5 that I was looking at you would think they would have made the servo feel that bit biteier