Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

Which Lights Will Fit...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Feb 2009, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Which Lights Will Fit...

same year weill def fit, the fronts are different on early to late classics, not sure on the rears though
Old 02 Feb 2009, 01:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

comparing them to my lights, they all look the same, none of them are the same year (mine is 2000) all those are between 95-97...like you said, the fronts are different, just not sure on the backs!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Im sure some of the lads with classic wrx`s will clarify this(i know gav a mates were like it) though "not" sure if they ever changed but classic wrx`s needed the foglight fitting seperate for the sva when imported as their lights didnt contain a foglight like a uk turbo`s rear lights do.
The sidelight were the whole of the red area not half/other half foglight like uk`s, hence when you fit the sti Red/clears (only came as an import)you either have to fit a seperate foglight or make one of your reverse lights your fog.

Fitwise think all saloon classics are the same but wagons are different.
Old 06 Feb 2009, 01:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Fitwise think all saloon classics are the same but wagons are different.
As Dave says I believe.
Old 06 Feb 2009, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

cheers dave, fitting them tomorrow, will let you know how it goes!
Old 07 Feb 2009, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Update, right...well picked up the lights (the nice man even threw in some side repeaters (not needed though)) got back home and fitted them.

First problem, the original lights were held in by 5x8mm bolts (easy enough) but where the lights entered the boot they were sealed with some black water proof sealant! right pain to get off!

Second problem, the lights from 1995 WRX's are slightly different (not in fitting but in layout) so whereas my lights had 5 bulbs on the drivers side and 4 on the passenger, the '95 lights just had 4 both sides! So I just disconnected the entire bulb setup and fitted the ones that came with the new lights (great, I thought!)

Now I don't have reverse lights! So I think the new loom is different and its going to be a case of fitting the old one back and playing around with the bulbs to get it all right!

but for 20 I'm pretty happy
Old 07 Feb 2009, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Hmm sorry mate should of mentioned that,heat it up with hairdryer/hot air gun an they come out ok,sealant does need putting on your new lights really before refitting or water will get in ya boot,its a crap design-remember when i changed mine took the nuts off an the lights were as solid as before,the sealant could hold em in on its own.
Old 07 Feb 2009, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

ah whoops...i put them back without...is it going to be a major problem?

Having investigated the wiring, all i'm missing is the rear fog light...anyway about fixing that (will I have to "convert" one of the reverse lights?)
Old 09 Feb 2009, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Guess you`ll know soon enough -its how they are from new as far a i know,had mine from 26,000 mile an unless mines been rear ended before then an had replacements since,im assuming were sealed from new.

Think it were a brown sealant if i remember right.Put new ones back in with tigerseal so should be fun if i ever need em out NOT !
Old 09 Feb 2009, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

after the rain...its all marty pello in the boot! its gone in today for its service, so he said he'll seal it up for me. All i've got to do now is sort the fog light out!
Old 10 Feb 2009, 12:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat View Post
All i've got to do now is sort the fog light out!
You got JDM rears I take it then? Look better than the UK ones (UK's aren't clear right?) but Japanese motors don't come with rear fogs and I've only ever seen one car in Japan with one, which funnily enough was a V2 STi. Had it hanging off the rear bumper.