Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Exterior

Subaru Impreza Forum

STI suspension question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Oct 2008, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

STI suspension question

Hi Guys,

Can anyone advise me whats the best plan of action for my suspension problem..

I've got a knocking front offside strut that seems like a known fault on an 02 sti..my local dealership only quoted for just the actual strut replacement.

I then popped down to my local scooby tuning garage and they suggested I get the pair done at once which i tend to agree with, but.. i had a third opinion with another garage and they suggested getting both struts, some topmounts and some "D" bushes too incase its not really the strut thats gone..

Does anyone think i should go for all the lot or just get the shocks done, do the topmounts + bushes need replacing too ?

Im totally confused by it all now

Russ
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: STI suspension question

Well i would definetly go with changing the pair of structs, if the topmount and D bushes need replacing and they are split or rubber frayed or cracked i would change them to............
Old 27 Oct 2008, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

I`d be tempted to try the topmount and bushes in the first instance if im honest,though id really need to hear the noise/drive the car to give a definate verdict.
Old 28 Oct 2008, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Cheers for the thoughts guys.

What sypmtoms would i expect to feel/hear if the topmounts or D bushes needed replaced.. basically i can hear a banging/popping on bad roads..

More worryingly when its cold or i havent driven it for a while i hear strange creaking noises ( pretty loud ) whenever there is any turn on the steering wheel, seems to be worse when the load is less on the front that the back..

some days i never hear a thing though...

Old 29 Oct 2008, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Would say thats probably the top mount/bush/bearing, basically youve got youre top spring seat basically a big "cup" if ya like that ya spring seats in(hope i aint insulting ya you probably realise this)then a small bearing that allows ya struts to turn then the top mount itself which if i remember rights the metal plate with the 3 studs that bolt through ya strut top with a thick rubber bush round the outside where it seats under the strut tops,basically just a normal strut set up tbh.

Been 5yrs since i did my suspension so apologies if any of thats wrong,trouble is on a forum its always guesswork with stuff like this where ya cant hear/drive the car in question.

Just a point to note The steering rack mounting bushes are a bit prone to being a bit "average" may be worth checking movement in the rack itself-not saying for a minute its that but worth checking and ruling out.
Old 08 Nov 2008, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Guys,

Finally got to the bottom of all my problems and the car is running sweet !

I took it into Sheffield Subaru Services ( Paul is a top bloke !!)

Paul replace the knocking struts and the car felt better but after a day the creaking noise came back again and it had them stumped.

He happily took the car back in and stripped down the brakes and bearings and swapped them with another set to see if that fixed it but the noise remained..

It appears the ABS sensors were dicky and were doing things to the brakes under turning and making it creak, as soon as he replaced these the car was fixed.

Furthermore the brakes now feel 100% sharper than ever and i think i must have been putting up with bad brakes for quite a while now !

Well impressed with Paul for his efforts and anyone in S Yorkshire should go see him for your problems/services..

Russ
Old 09 Nov 2008, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Great all sorted so